Wonder Woman
Wonder Woman 1984

Might as well get a Wonder Woman 3 thread up and rolling.

DIANA 2020
Wonder Woman 3 Will Probably Be Set in Present Day, But Without Chris Pine
Director Patty Jenkins doesn’t want to see the Princess of Themyscira in “another period piece.”
by KEVIN FITZPATRICK
JANUARY 27, 2019 11:59 AM

Courtesy of Warner Bros.

We’ve still a ways to go until Wonder Woman ’84 ropes up the box office in 2020, but it’s never too early to look ahead. Far ahead, even, as franchise director Patty Jenkins now confirms another sequel would likely break the mold with a story set in modern-day.

While the first Wonder Woman focused on Diana (Gal Gadot)’s World War I origins, and next year’s upcoming Wonder Woman ’84 will explore the Amazon warrior’s adventures in the 1980s, Jenkins told The Hollywood Reporter that she’d like to try something different for a third movie. “I'm not set, but I'm not dying [to do] another period piece,” she said. Instead, the unconfirmed third film would likely pick up with its title character after the events of 2016’s Batman v. Superman and 2017’s Justice League.

“It's definitely one of the things we talked about,” offered Jenkins of her future with the franchise. “I'm not planning to put it in the past again, because where are you going to go? You have to go forward. It's definitely a contemporary story. That's all I can say. Where we put it and how that gets figured out, I haven't totally nailed down.”

Wonder Woman ’84 is itself something of an oddity, as both Batman v. Superman and Justice League depicted the character as having eschewed superheroics in the years since love interest Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) perished in World War I. Pine is curiously present for the ‘80s-set sequel as well, though the actor doubted his participation in a third film. “I think Steve’s done,” Pine told Entertainment Tonight at the premiere of his and Jenkins’ new TNT series I Am the Night. “I think Steve’s done his bit. I wish them all the luck in the world.”

Wonder Woman ’84 is currently set for a June 5, 2020 release, having previously been pushed back from a late 2019 premiere.