Thread: Jackie Chan: Green Hero

Jackie Chan: Green Hero

Jackie Chan to visit Utah for environmental exhibit
    BY MCKENZIE STAUFFER FRIDAY, JANUARY 18TH 2019

Jackie Chan will be visiting Utah for the North America premiere of his environmental exhibit "Jackie Chan: Green Hero." (Photo: MGN)

(KUTV) — Jackie Chan will be visiting Utah for the North America premiere of his environmental exhibit "Jackie Chan: Green Hero," a press release stated.

The event will be hosted at The Leonardo: Museum of Creativity and Innovation in Salt Lake City on January 25 at 8:00 p.m.

Visitors can listen to live music from local performers, enjoy food and drinks and get a private, one-hour tour of the Green Hero art exhibit.

There will also be a panel before the opening party. The invited guests include: C. Arden Pope III, a BYU professor of economics; Julie Kilgore, the president of Wasatch Environmental; David Bywater, the CEO of Vivint Solar; Andy Noorda, chairman and co-founder of Wholistic Research & Education Foundation; and Shane McKenna, the inventor, founder and CTO of Ascending Harvest.

Nobel prize winner Dr. Mario Capecchi will moderate the session.

For more information, visit www.theleonardo.org.
    An Evening With Jackie Chan’s Exhibit “Green Hero”

Join us for An Evening with Jackie Chan‘s Exhibit “Green Hero” at The Leonardo in Salt Lake City, UT on January 25th, from 8pm-11pm. Have the chance to hear him speak and see The Leonardo’s newest exhibit!

Jackie Chan’s Exhibit “Green Hero” centers around one of his lifelong passions to help clean up the environment. By attending this event, you will be the first to see this exhibit! Enjoy live music entertainment featuring some of the best entertainment and performers across the state of Utah.

TICKETS
    EARLYBIRD SALE – ONLY $55 until January 6th

$75 January 7th – January 15th
    $100 January 16th until event

Includes:
    Early admission to Jackie Chan “Green Hero” exhibit
    Entertainment
    Cash bars
    Appetizers
    Remarks by Jackie Chan

ALL-AGES EVENT

VIP EXPERIENCE:
    **LIMITED TO 50 PEOPLE ONLY**
    A private one-hour tour of the Green Hero art exhibit, experience how Jackie Chan’s creation team were inspired to create the amazing artwork through recycling materials. The creation team along with The Leonardo will share curated details on the sculptures and the environmental journey on how Chan brings the “Green Hero” message and legacy to The Leonardo museum.
    Appetizers, drinks, access to pre-opening exhibit on January 25th.
    Includes access to An Evening with Jackie Chan “Green Hero”.
    The ONLY night with an opportunity where the creative team will be present at The Leonardo and share about original works. Experience and unforgettable night, Jackie Chan Green Hero art exhibit.

NO PHOTO OPS. NO AUTOGRAPHS.
    $500/PERSON. If you would like to upgrade your current ticket purchase, please contact The Leonardo Museum.
    Well played, Leonardo Museum. This is sure to be a great fundraiser and opportunity to showcase environmentalism.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jackie Chan: Green Hero

I'm splitting this Jackie Chan: Green Hero thread off the Jackie's Charity Work thread (the post above is copied from that). He was just on GMA for his new autobio, and obviously in the US for this, but they didn't go there at all.

Jackie Chan wants to clean up the world, but he needs your help: 'I’m Jackie; I’m not the superman'
    By Lottie Peterson Johnson
    Published: January 24, 2019 2:14 pm
    Updated: Jan. 24, 2019 2:15 p.m.

Jackie Chan waves goodbye to Mountain View Elementary school students at The Leonardo in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019.

SALT LAKE CITY — Jackie Chan is well-known for his acrobatic fight scenes and ability to use just about anything in his path as a weapon.

But here’s some lesser-known facts about the film star: He’s been using the same bar of soap for eight months. He wears out the soles of his shoes. And he can spend a large chunk of time in a public restroom, using the excess paper towels people have thrown away to clean his surroundings.

“Sometimes my colleagues say, ‘What’s Jackie doing in the bathroom? He never comes out,'” Chan joked at a press event Thursday afternoon at the Leonardo Museum. “I just use the useless paper to clean all the things. I really want to use one paper. It’s so easy, (in) the small detail, you can save a lot of things.”

Laura Seitz, Deseret News

Jackie Chan speaks at a media event for the 'Jackie Chan: Green Hero' exhibit at The Leonardo in Salty Lake City on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019.
    That resourcefulness is the heart of Chan’s art exhibit, “Jackie Chan: Green Hero,” which has its U.S. premiere at the Leonardo Saturday, Jan. 26. Throughout his career, Chan said he’s been astonished by the waste created and left on his film sets. So as he came across leftover materials like old camera equipment and film, he would store it in his loft. Thanks to artists he’s met over the years, Chan commissioned and now has an exhibit displaying those very materials — transformed into a series of imaginative sculptures.

One sculpture was created using light cases from movies and discarded electric bicycles to form an octopus. Another uses disposable paper cups to create a hand prototype based on Chan’s hand.

During the press event, Chan spoke as part of a panel alongside Utah environmental watchdogs Arden Pope III, a BYU professor of economics; Julie Kilgore, president of Wasatch Environmental; David Bywater, CEO of Vivint Solar; Andy Noorda, chairman and co-founder of Wholistic Research & Education Foundation; and Shane McKenna, the inventor, founder and CTO of Ascending Harvest.

Jackie Chan, second from left, speaks during a panel discussion at The Leonardo in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019. Other panelists include Dr. Mario Capecchi, far left, Andy Noorda, David Bywater, Julie Kilgore, Arden Pope and Shane McKenna.

Opening the panel discussion, moderator and Nobel prize winner Mario Capecchi offered his own thoughts about the environment.

“Global warming is real. It’s caused by man, and the science behind that statement cannot be disputed," Capecchi said. "… Since we caused it, we have to solve it. We have to use our ingenuity to curb this problem. We’ve already seen the devastation that has occurred — floods unprecedented, wildfires, forest fires all over the country — and this will continue and increase. And the further we wait, the more devastating the cost will be both to humans as well as the world economy. It’s a world problem. We all have to participate.”

Chan, who spoke of his impoverished upbringing, shared how he has long participated in this effort and wants to use his position as a celebrity to inspire people to be more responsible when it comes to the environment — something he displayed at the Thursday press event while working with students from Mountain View Elementary School, the No. 1 recycling school in Salt Lake School District, on an interactive art project using recycled materials.

Jackie Chan observes Mountain View Elementary school students as they make crafts using recyclable products at The Leonardo in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019.

“How do you use the things you don’t want anymore? It’s about time to show the world I've been doing this a long time,” he said, noting that his busy film schedule has made it difficult to promote his passion. “Whatever I can do I put in the movie, like (in) ‘Karate Kid,’ I tell Jaden Smith: ‘Switch, turn off, turn on. The water, turn on, turn off.' I try through my movies to teach the children, to teach the people to save the world because the world give us so much. … I know there’s so many children (who) learn from me, so (it’s) very important through my movies how I act, how I talk. I just try the best I can (to show) how we can save the world. (But) I’m Jackie; I’m not the superman.”

"Jackie Chan: Green Hero" opens to the public Jan. 26 at noon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie on GMA

He's slinging his new autobiography, but also here for his new Green Hero project, which they fail to bring up in the interview. I'm not convinced they know much about Jackie. He must be so tired of answering Bruce Lee questions. I mean really...Enter the Dragon was 46 years ago.

Jackie Chan talks about his most harrowing film stunts and working with Bruce Lee
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"Jackie Chan: Green Heroes" Art Exhibition in Utah

Official Jackie Chan Channel
    Published on Jan 28, 2019

The Jackie Chan: Green Heroes Art Exhibition will be at The Leonardo Museum in Salt Lake City, Utah, from January 26 - April 28, 2019. The exhibition is a collection of artwork made from Jackie's old props and filming equipment; using the concept of recycling, re-using, and re-designing things that we think is 'rubbish' and turning it into unique pieces of artwork.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I really hope this show travels beyond SLC

Jackie Chan cleans public restrooms to reuse paper towels — and he’s opening a new exhibit in Salt Lake City aimed at saving the planet

(Francisco Kjolseth | The Salt Lake Tribune) Jackie Chan gives high fives to Mountain View Elementary students following a workshop as part of a preview of Jackie ChanŐs Inaugural Environmental Exhibition ÔJackie Chan: Green HeroŐ at The Leonardo: Museum of Creativity and Innovation on Thursday, Jan. 24, 2019.

By Scott D. Pierce
    ·
    Published: 5 days ago
    Updated: 5 days ago

Action-film star Jackie Chan has a multimillion-dollar foundation committed to helping save the environment. As part of that mission, he’s behind a new exhibit at The Leonardo museum in Salt Lake City — one filled with artwork created primarily from recycled props from his movies.

“Jackie Chan: Green Hero” opens to the public on Saturday. He’s hoping to influence everyone to help save the planet — a couple of people at a time.

“If I can move these kinds of things to Utah to educate two people, it’s worth it,” Chan said at the museum Thursday. “I just do the best I can.”

But he also does what he can personally. He recycles. He supports environmental causes. And he cleans public restrooms — really.

Frustrated by watching other people use multiple paper towels after using the facilities, “I use the paper discarded by other people to wash the floor,” Chan said. “I clean the whole thing.”

Then he washes up, uses one small paper towel to dry his hands, and uses his feet to smash down the other towels in the garbage can. “Believe it or not, that’s really me,” Chan said. “Sometimes my colleagues [say], ‘What’s Jackie doing in the bathroom? He never comes out.’

“I'm cleaning.”

Chan helped foot the expense to bring the “Green Hero” exhibit to Salt Lake City from China.

“Jackie Chan: Green Hero”
    Where • The Leonardo, 209 E. 500 South, Salt Lake City
    When • The exhibit opens to the public on Saturday at noon and continues through April 28. The museum is open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    Tickets • Entrance to the exhibit is included in general-admission tickets — $12.95 for ages 16-64; $8.95 for ages 3-15; $9.95 for ages 65 and up, military and students (with valid ID). Available at the door and at theleonardo.org.
    “They approached us,” said Marissa Day, exhibits director at The Leonardo, who admits she was a bit taken aback when she got the call from Chan’s staff.

“I'm not going to lie. At first we thought it was a little strange,” she said with a laugh.

Chan was looking for sites in North America to display his exhibit, and he was eager to be in Salt Lake City during the Sundance Film Festival. (The exhibit will be at The Leonardo for three months.)

“It really started to click with us that we were talking to a modern-day Leonardo da Vinci who looks at the world in a completely new way and is trying so hard to improve it,” Day said.

In small ways as well as big ones. On movie sets, he urges recycling and conservation. He recalled telling his young “Karate Kid” co-star, Jaden Smith, to turn off the lights and the heat when he leaves a room.

“And when I go to bathroom [on set], I say, ‘Who’s next?’” Chan said. After eight or 10 stuntmen follow him, “then we flush.”

Really? “It’s not a joke,” Chan said. “I hope everybody cares about the world.”

The “Green Hero” exhibit includes 18 sculptures made from recycled movie-set materials — everything from a Chinese dragon to a horse to robots. There’s an activity area where visitors can make their own art from recyclables. There’s a video message from Chan and a look back at his career. And the exhibit theater is showing “Jackie Chan’s Green Heroes,” a National Geographic Channel documentary that debuted last year.

At The Leonardo on Thursday, Chan took particular delight interacting with children — posing for photos and greeting 50 youngsters from Salt Lake City’s Mountain View Elementary.

“Hi, kids!” he called. “I come all the way from China to bring a present.” (Each of the students got a ruler made from recycled movie film.)

“I hope I can influence the children as much as I can,” Chan said.

The kids were excited to meet him. So were the adults — including Mario Capecchi, winner of the 2007 Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine who is on the faculty at the University of Utah and is a senior adviser to The Leonardo.

“Everybody knows who Jackie Chan is!” said Capecchi. “I’ve never talked to anybody who doesn’t know who he is.”

Chan, 64, has forged a career as a stuntman, star, director and producer that stretches back to the early 1960s and includes 140 acting credits. (And, yes, he said there will be a fourth “Rush Hour” movie once he gets a script he likes.)

Capecchi put his stamp of approval on the exhibit and Chan’s overall efforts.

“It’s wonderful to have someone of his stature supporting the environmental movement,” Capecchi said. “Global warming is real. It’s caused by man. We have to find a solution for it and not just simply bury our heads in the sand and pretend it doesn’t exist.

“In this state, that’s the biggest message. We first have to accept that it’s a problem and then start doing something about it.”

Another small way Chan tries to help? Using up soap.

“Right now, if you go to my hotel, you see my soap. I’ve been using it for eight months,” he said. After decades of traveling around the world, “I said, ‘What happens when we check out?’ [Wondering] where the soap goes?”

Now Chan takes soap with him from hotel to hotel. And he takes his own slippers, wearing them until they wear out.

“It’s so easy. That small detail,” he said. “You can save a lot of things.”

spierce@sltrib.com
    Follow @ScottDPierce
    I always take hotel soaps and use them at home. That's sort of similar.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips