Thread: Vanguard

Vanguard

JACKIE CHAN Re-Teams With Director STANLEY TONG For VANGUARD
    By David Vo - January 26, 2019

International action star Jackie Chan is set to re-team with long time collaborator Stanley Tong (Police Story 3: Supercop, Rumble In The Bronx) on the action thriller Vanguard. The duo last worked together on 2017’s Kung Fu Yoga.

The film follows “a security team protecting a wealthy businessman and his daughter from a terrorist organization.”

Set to co-star alongside Chan is Yang Yang (The Lost Tomb) and Miya Muqi (Kung Fu Yoga).

Stay tuned.

SOURCE: AFS
    Asian Film Strike

@AsianFilmStrike
    Jan 25
    More
    Jackie Chan is shooting VANGUARD, a thriller directed by Stanley Tong, also with Yang Yang & Miya Muqi. About a security team protecting a wealthy businessman and his daughter from a terrorist organization.
    唐季禮 | TONG Stanley

Introduction
    I often went to my father’s record store when I was young. After listening to soundtracks of American movies and theme songs of Hong Kong television series, I often sought out these films. I was especially moved by the combination of music and narrative. I never thought I would become a screenwriter, action director and film director one day but by luck and chance became a stuntman. The switch from audience to performer changed my life’s dream. Because of my love for traditional Chinese culture and my background in Western education, I have a better understanding of the differences and similarities between the East and the West. Romance, action and adventure are movie genres that can bridge our cultural differences. Spreading the excellence of Chinese culture to the rest of the world has also become the guiding direction in my filmmaking.

Biography
    Stanley Tong was born in Hong Kong. He studied in Canada during his teens and returned in 1979 to work in the film industry. In 1980, he worked for Shaw Brothers, Television Broadcasts Limited (TVB), Redifussion Television (RTV) and other film companies as martial arts performer, stunt double, script supervisor, assistant director, production manager, martial arts choreographer and screenwriter.

In 1988, Tong became the director and action chereographer of Angel II and Angel III. In 1990, Tong founded his own company and invested in The Stone Age Warriors, for which he wrote, produced, directed and choreographed the action sequences. Tong was known for making action films and had been Jackie Chan’s frequent collaborator. In 1991, he directed Chan, Michelle Yeoh and Maggie Cheung in Police Story III: Super Cop, which broke box office records in a number of Southeast Asian countries. It was also nominated for Best Picture and Best Action Direction at the 12th Golden Horse Film Festival.

Soon after, he directed Project S, Rumble in the Bronx and First Strike. Rumble in the Bronx raked in close to HK$ 57 million while First Strike’s ticket sales exceeded HK$ 57 million — the highest box office by a Chinese-language film from Hong Kong at the time. Rumble in the Bronx not only propelled Chan to international stardom but also earned Tong the Best Action Direction award at the Hong Kong Film Awards.

In 1996, Tong got his call from Hollywood and directed his first American movie, Mr. Magoo. In 1999, he turned his focus on the film and television industries in Mainland China. In 2000, Tong invested and directed Strike Force, for which he also wrote the screenplay and choreographed the action scenes. In 2005, he served as director and action director for The Myth, which featured an ensemble of international stars the likes of Hong Kong’s Jackie Chan and Tony Leung Ka-fai, India’s Mallika Sherawat and South Korea’s Kim Hee-sun. In 2011, Tong developed and produced a historical epic series The Patriot Yue Fei for Chinese television and in 2014, he began making the antiterrorist-themed feature Vanguard in China.
    Web research is fun
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Dubai

I've never been to Dubai but from what I've seen (in movies mostly) I can imagine why anyone would want to film there.

Exclusive: Jackie Chan and Stanley Tong are returning to film in Dubai
    'Vanguard' will be the duo's second shoot in the city following 2015's 'Kung Fu Yoga'

Jackie Chan filmed 'Kung Fu Yoga' in Dubai back in 2015 and now he's returning for another film. Courtesy Gulf Film

Superstar martial artist Jackie Chan and Hong Kong action director Stanley Tong are set to return to Dubai for shooting next week, and mercifully it won’t be for a follow up to Kung Fu Yoga, the fraught China/India co-production which took over the city in 2015 with a flurry of Ferraris, fights, and falling-out international production companies.

This time the pair will reunite, for the sixth time for Vanguard, with London, Taiwan and India among the other filming locations, according to IMDB. Details of the film are fairly sparse at present, but we know it will deal with an international security company who are hired to protect a Chinese businessman and his daughter from a shadowy terrorist group.

Teen heartthrob Yang Yang and actress/model Miya Muqi are among Chan’s co-stars, while Sparkle Roll Media, who also co- produced Kung Fu Yoga, are once again the production company.

Last time Chan and Tong were in Dubai, onlookers were thrilled to see the cast racing supercars around Downtown, while guests at Atlantis, The Palm, were surprised to get out of the lift to see legions of duelling martial artists blocking their route to reception.

There’s no word on specific locations for the upcoming shoot as of yet, but we understand it will be on a similar scale to Kung Fu Yoga and will, like that film, offer opportunities to a significant number of local crew and would-be cast members.

The National has reached out to Dubai-based Alkatraz Productions, who handled local production on Kung Fu Yoga, however they were unable to comment on the forthcoming shoot. Dubai Film and TV Commission have also been contacted.

Next week looks set to be a busy one in the UAE's film and TV calendar, with Pierce Brosnan's The Misfits also shooting in Abu Dhabi from February 18. And while the combination may not be on quite the same stellar level as when Star Wars: The Force Awakens and FF7 both filmed in Abu Dhabi in 2015 (Kung Fu Yoga itself shot simultaneously in Dubai with Star Trek Beyond), it seems a sure sign that the local industry is in fine health going into 2019.

Updated: February 14, 2019 07:03 PM
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dubai is a great place to film and movie production friendly. I believe Fast and Furious franchise filmed there a few years ago
    I used to go there for my R&R from Afghanistan. Check out Festival City Mall close to the Airport.

【朱正廷】电影急先锋官 猫眼首发《急先锋》国际片花

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

IMAX 2020 CNY re-releases

Five Chinese New Years to Release in IMAX

Hong Kong filmmaker Peter Chan’s Leap, a film about the China’s national women’s volleyball team, has been set to hit over 660 IMAX theatres in China on January 25, 2020, the first day of the Chinese New Year, according to an official announcement released today. Along with the previously announced films including Detective Chinatown 3, Lost in Russia, The Rescue, Vanguard, there will be five Chinese films to be shown on IMAX screens during the lunar new year holiday. Among them, Detective China town 3 was entirely shot by ALEXA IMAX cameras. This makes Detective Chinatown 3 the fourth commercial film worldwide and the second in Asia that is shot by ALEXA IMAX. IMAX China also unveiled a special poster today, which features comics avatars of characters in the movies.
    I feel so behind. I've not seen any of these films.

THREADS
    2020 Year of the Rat
    Detective Chinatown 3
    Lost in Russia
    The Rescue
    Vanguard
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie Chan's VANGUARD (Official Trailer) - In Cinemas 25 January 2020

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie & Donnie aren't the only players...

...There's Jiang Zi Ya: Legend of Deification, The Rescue, All’s Well End’s Well 2020, The Grand Grandmaster...surely more too. Right now, my bet is on The Rescue.

CNY showdown: Donnie Yen's Enter The Fat Dragon to challenge Jackie Chan's Vanguard

Enter The Fat Dragon, starring action hero Donnie Yen (left) will be rolled out in cinemas at the same time as Jackie Chan's Vanguard.PHOTOS: SCREENGRAB FROM ENTER THE FAT DRAGON/FACEBOOK, SCREENGRAB FROM WEIBO

PUBLISHED DEC 29, 2019, 5:50 PM SGT
    Loh Keng Fatt

Jackie Chan has competition for box-office revenue during Chinese New Year next month.

Enter The Fat Dragon - starring another action hero, Donnie Yen - will be rolled out in cinemas at the same time as Chan's Vanguard.

Yen's movie is likely to benefit from the publicity earned by the actor's current box-office smash Ip Man 4: The Finale.

Yen portrays an overweight policeman in Enter The Fat Dragon, which is directed by Wong Jing.

While the fight scenes were a breeze for him, he reportedly was floored by the hours needed to put on makeup and a fat suit to portray the character.

Niki Chow, who plays the wife of Yen's character, said her knees buckled when she heard that there was a fight scene involving the couple.

According to HKET.com, she said she was afraid that her lack of fighting skills would result in many takes before the director was satisfied.

Chow made sure she rehearsed the scene with Yen multiple times so that she would not be caught off-guard by his fast moves.
    THREADS
    Enter the Fat Dragon
    Vanguard
    2020 Year of the Rat
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Welcome to Golden Week

The original article has trailers.

From Jackie Chan’s Vanguard to Kung Fu Mulan, eight movies showing in China during golden week
    This year’s golden week box office will show how well China’s movie industry has recovered from the pandemic
    Legend of Deification is an early winner, chalking up US$11.7 million in advance ticket sales for its opening day on October 1
    Elaine Yau in Beijing
    Published: 5:45pm, 30 Sep, 2020

Jiang Ziya in a still from animated film Legend of Deification, one of eight movies in the cinematic line-up for golden week.
    Jiang Ziya in a still from animated film Legend of Deification, one of eight movies in the cinematic line-up for golden week.
    Legend of Deification, the animated movie co-produced by the same company that made last year’s box office champion Nezha , is set to become the top grossing film on China’s national day holiday on Thursday. According to China’s largest ticketing app, Maoyan, Legend of Deification has so far chalked up 80 million yuan (US$11.7 million) in advance ticket sales for its opening day, which is also the start of the country’s “golden week” national holiday.
    Ranked second in Thursday’s advance ticket sales is patriotic movie My People My Homeland, which took in over 65 million yuan. Jackie Chan vehicle Vanguard, which opened a day earlier than Legend of Deification and My People My Homeland, reaped over 47 million yuan for advance ticket sales for Wednesday and Thursday.
    The Chinese film industry sees advance ticket sales for a film’s opening day on Maoyan as a credible gauge of audience response to a production and how it will fare at the box office in China.
    The week-long October national holiday in China usually brings rich pickings for studios, which fall over themselves to bring their best films to the big screen. Last year, golden week brought in 5 billion yuan in box office takings, more than double the 2.2 billion yuan of the previous year.

Jackie Chan and Miya Muqi in a still from Vanguard.
    With the coronavirus outbreak largely under control in China, mainland cinemas have been reopened for two months. On September 25, the cap on seating capacity at cinemas was raised to 75 per cent.
    Industry analysts predict golden week this year will bring in 4.5 billion to 5 billion yuan in ticket sales, similar to last year’s figure, proof of the recovery of China’s cinema sector from the pandemic. Below are the eight movies which will be shown on the mainland during the golden week holiday.

Legend of Deification
    The runaway box office success of Nezha has boosted the public’s expectations for Legend of Deification, co-produced by One and All Animation Studio, and Enlight Media which also produced Nezha last year.
    Like Nezha, which revolves around adventures of the eponymous mythological figure in Chinese folklore, Legend of Deification focuses on the exploits of Jiang Ziya, the mythological Chinese noble who helped kings Wen and Wu of the Zhou dynasty to overthrow the Shang dynasty.
    After overthrowing Shang, Jiang is at the peak of his career. About to be crowned the chief of all gods, he commits a mistake and is demoted to human status. Without his magical power, and ostracised in the human world, he embarks on a journey of salvation and self-discovery to reclaim his former glory.

My People My Homeland
    Produced by Zhang Yimou and with Ning Hao as chief director, the film adopts the same format as My People, My Country , last year’s golden week box office champion. My People My Homeland is an anthology film comprising five chapters, each with a different director.
    Featuring A-list stars including Huang Bo and Shen Teng, the stories portray the love of mainlanders for, well, their homeland.

Vanguard
    Hong Kong action film director Stanley Tong Kwai-lai and Jackie Chan team up in their sixth collaboration. Chan plays the chief of an international security team tasked with rescuing a hostage who has been kidnapped by mercenaries.
    Chan revealed to the media before that he nearly drowned in an accident when filming Vanguard. Since Chan and Tong started to work together in the early 1990s, they have made several hugely successful films, including Police Story 3: Super Cop and Rumble in the Bronx.

Leap
    Released on September 25, Leap has so far earned 200 million yuan in ticket sales and 10 million yuan in advance ticket sales for Thursday. The 200 million yuan in sales puts it in ninth place on the list of 2020’s top 10 mainland films.
    Directed by Hong Kong director Peter Chan Ho-sun, Leap tells the story of the Chinese women’s national volleyball team over the past 40 years. Gong Li plays Lang Ping, the current head coach of the team. It traces how the team became world champions and defended the title in international competitions.

Coffee or Tea?
    Produced by Peter Chan and directed by Xu Hongyu, the comedy stars heartthrobs Liu Haoran, Peng Yuchang and Yin Fang. This is an uplifting yarn about three young men who give up city comforts for the rustic life in a 1,000-year-old village in Yunnan. Beating all the odds, they set up an e-commerce business there and strike up friendships with the locals. The film will be released on October 4.

Kung Fu Mulan
    To be released on October 3, this mainland animated version of beloved Chinese traditional hero Hua Mulan comes hot on the heels of the disastrous showing of Disney’s live-action remake. This is the first mainland animation about the historical figure.
    The Mulan in this animation differs from the Disney’s Mulan, which stuck to the traditional image of the filial and patriotic warrior.

Let Life be Beautiful
    To be released on October 5, this movie, based on true events, portrays a young man who battles leukaemia with optimism and bravery. Faced with much uncertainty, he perseveres in pursuing his goal and dreams.
    Playing the stricken young man is 14-year-old Rong Zishan, who became a household name overnight in China recently for his starring role in hit TV series The Bad Kids. Rong’s performance as a pathos-filled student grappling with a broken family and a murderer on his back earned rave reviews from critics. In spite of being a child star, he has already worked with several famous directors, including Jia Zhangke in 2015’s Mountains May Depart .

Kikujiro
    Released in Japan in 1999, and written by and starring Japanese film icon Takeshi Kitano, Kikujiro has taken over six million yuan in ticket sales since its September 25 release on the mainland.
    Rated 8.8 out of 10 on Douban, China’s equivalent to IMDb, the movie revolves around the adventures of a primary student who, having been raised by his grandma, decides to go to Toyohashi in Aichi Prefecture to look for his mother on his own.

Takeshi Kitano (left) and Yusuke Sekiguchi in a still from Kikujiro (1999). Photo: Office Kitano
    After arriving in Toyohashi, the helpless child runs into a kindhearted woman who asks her layabout husband (Kitano) to help him out. The man and the kid then embark on a journey of self-discovery together.
    Threads
    Happy-mid-autumn-festival
    Legend-of-Deification-Jiang-Ziya
    Vanguard
    Kung-Fu-Mulan
    covid
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jiang Ziya FTW

Oct 1, 2020 7:52pm PT
    China Hits Highest Single-Day Ticket Sales of the Year, Notching Its Second-Biggest National Day Earnings Ever

By Rebecca Davis

Courtesy of Well Go USA
    The Chinese box office hit its highest single-day tally of the year so far on Thursday, reaching $107 million (RMB728 million), more than 10 times what North American cinemas made in the whole of last weekend. That sum marks China’s second largest Oct. 1 National Day box office in history, a feat achieved even as cinemas continue to operate at just 75% capacity.

Thursday was this year a dual holiday coincidentally marked by both the Mid-Autumn Festival and the first day of the week-long National Day vacation, typically one of the busiest times for cinemas.

Meanwhile, to compare, the total gross for North American over the latest three-day weekend period was just $9.26 million. Relative levels of movie-going are of course tied to progress in battling the pandemic: China logged just 11 new coronavirus cases nationwide on Wednesday, whereas the U.S. logged 43,114.

Leading China’s box office Thursday was Enlight’s hotly anticipated animation “Jiang Ziya: Legend of Deification,” a sequel of sorts from the same cinematic universe as last summer’s breakout animation hit “Nezha,” which went on to become China’s second-highest grossing film ever.

It opened strong at number one with $52.7 million, according to data from industry tracker Maoyan — setting a record for the highest single-day ticket sales for an animated title in China of all time. It also opened Thursday in select U.S. theaters, distributed by Well Go USA.

In second was the patriotic film purpose-made for the National Day holiday, “My People, My Homeland,” which grossed $39.3 million on its opening day. Produced by Beijing Culture, the omnibus film is executive produced by Zhang Yimou and features shorts from top directors Ning Hao, Xu Zheng, Chen Sicheng, Yan Fei, Peng Damo, Deng Chao and Yu Baimei.

The Jackie Chan-starring actioner “Vanguard,” directed by Stanley Tong, came in third on its second day in theaters, with earnings of $8.25 million bringing its two-day cume up to $16.8 million. The film is also set to open Friday in the Ukraine and later this month in Russia via distributor Trinity CineAsia, which also holds rights in the U.K. and Ireland.

Peter Chan’s “Leap,” which opened last week, came in fourth with $6.34 million, while “The Eight Hundred” held its own in sixth, earning $265,000 on its 42nd day in theaters.

A propaganda documentary of the 2019 National Day military parade, a blowout to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic, debuted Thursday in seventh, earning $134,400. It was produced by China’s only military-affiliated film studio.
    Threads
    Happy-mid-autumn-festival
    Legend-of-Deification-Jiang-Ziya
    Vanguard
    covid
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nov 20

Newest Jackie Chan Film Vanguard (2020) To Open Wide In North America
    By Martial Arts Entertainment -November 12, 2020

Gravitas Ventures, a Red Arrow Studios Company, is releasing martial arts superstar Jackie Chan’s newest big-screen spy thriller, Vanguard on November 20, 2020 in theaters in North America. Vanguard also stars Yang Yang, Ai Lun, Mu Qimiya, Xu Ruohan and Zhu Zhengting. Vanguard (2020) is Jackie Chan’s ninth collaboration with Hong Kong director Stanley Tong (“Super Cop,” “Rumble in the Bronx”), and it will open nationally in over 1,500 theaters – including drive-ins and IMAX theaters.

Vanguard (2020) is about a covert security company (Vanguard) that is the last hope of survival for an accountant after he is targeted by the world’s deadliest mercenary organization. Jackie Chan is the companies CEO and he leads must lead a squad of elite agents to save the businessman.

The globe-trotting action-adventure was filmed in nine cities across the United Kingdom, China, the United Arab Emirates, Zambia and India, and it features high stakes action sequences that take place over land, air and sea.

“We’ve experienced so much during this production,” said director Stanley Tong. “Each time I work with Jackie, we are always trying to impress our audience with the best picture and idea. Especially this time, we put a lot of innovation in it. I hope the North American audiences enjoy it. And I’m so happy to be partnering with Gravitas for the release.”

Vanguard is rated PG-13.

VANGUARD Website

To see a list of theaters playing the film and buy tickets, click here.

About Gravitas Ventures
    Gravitas Ventures, a Red Arrow Studios company, is a leading all rights distributor of independent feature films and documentaries. Founded in 2006, Gravitas connects independent filmmakers and producers with distribution opportunities across the globe. Working with talented directors and producers, Gravitas Ventures has distributed thousands of films into over a hundred million homes in North America – over one billion homes worldwide. Recent releases include The Secret: Dare to Dream, directed by Andy Tennant and starring Katie Holmes; End of Sentence starring Logan Lerman and John Hawkes; Colin Hanks’ All Things Must Pass; and the upcoming Our Friend starring Casey Affleck, Dakota Johnson, and Jason Segel. For more information, please visit gravitasventures.com.

About Red Arrow Studios
    Red Arrow Studios is one of the world’s leading creators and distributors of entertainment content, comprised of an acclaimed network of international production companies and labels in seven territories; world-leading digital studio, Studio71, based in six countries; and global film and TV distributors Red Arrow Studios International and Gravitas Ventures. The group’s significant output includes scripted, non-scripted and formatted content and IP, from TV and film to short-form and branded content, made for an array of global networks and platforms. Red Arrow Studios is part of ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE, one of Europe’s leading media groups. redarrowstudios.com
    I'm starving for a movie in a theater...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First Forum review - belated

Another film that I forgot to review but was reminded with my Hidden Strike review.

Thd pandemic ****ed me up. Among my Covid traumas, I lost track of Jackie. This film has been in my queue for a while but I had to rent it. I finally gave in tonight.

Oh man, it’s bad. It’s Stanley Tong, who began working with Jackie in one of his greatest films, Police Story 3, did his US lead debut for Rumble in the Bronx, and then went steadily downhill with the next few collabs, the last being the disappointing Kung Fu Yoga.

Vanguard is a globe trotting mess from London to Africa to Dubai where they clearly wanted to indulge themselves at the audience’s expense. Jackie plays the leader of a private protection agency Vanguard. He’s the boss and lets his underlings do all the fighting. It’s like one big chase scene, firefights, car chases, boat chases, cgi lions and hyenas, cgi solid gold cars, cgi drones ranging from bee bots to pigeon bots to a missile loaded battle bot. The africa part at the beginning is the most interesting - there’s a nod to Jackie’s wildlife protection agenda and the boat chase is ok, but it gets silly at the end with some cgi waterfall stunts. There’s lots of running about with a threadbare plot and caricature villains like out of an 80s Golan/Globus flick. Although some of the fight sequences were decent, it was nothing fresh. When Jackie fights and mugs for the camera, there’s a glimmer of that ol’ magic but it’s far too little to sustain this bloated vacuous flick. Jackie phones it in. Even the end credits ng are tepid. There’s one moment when Nackie gets pinned underwater by a jet ski stunt that’s a bit intense, and if memory serves, a stunt person died filming the boat chase scene. That’s really the only almost a moment for this film. So disappointing.

Not recommended.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips