Thread: 9 teeth rake

9 teeth rake

Hi all,

Is there anybody out there that is familiar with the nine teeth rake? Or manybe even trains with it? I have a picture of the thing right here:

http://members.lycos.nl/saolim/kungfusupply/C201-d1.JPG

Anybody else has any other (action) pictures? Schools/people?

Thanks

?

I have seen this with different variations from what you have supplied. If I can get a certain video back, I can make you a copy so you can see something different than this one. I have seen a rake-type weapon more than this one (by a rake I mean a weapon with a lot of sharp tings underneath the base which connects to the shaft).

www.wle.com may sell some stuff like this, but it all is wushu steel--not real of based on real weapons.

Doug M

rake

Thanks

I've seen several shops that sell rakes; even a video at wle. But I've never actually met someone or heard of a school that uses it.

That would be intresting to know.

I had this video on the Martial Arts Survey in China early seventies with a Master demonstrating a similar rake. It was northern style.

Regards,
    KPE
    South Paw

rake

"Ha Say Fu is a village style and that might explain the style's great use of farm implements such as the Nine-pointed rake, ..."

from
    http://www.fuhok.com/Hung%20Gar%20History/hasayfu.htm

No pictures though ...

6. Lightbulb Rake it in...

Here's an article on the history of the weapon...

http://www.hunggar.org/his_sub3_rake.html

The rake is not one of the major faves as far as training goes, but there are plenty of sets out there to check out. Most just use trident type techniques, which makes sense since the two are closely related.

Sincerely,
    CT

hmmm looks perfect for killing mongols... or making lanes for seeds in my garden.

ttt 4 2016!

I worked on the Heaven General Nine-Pointed Rake DVD that my first master, Sifu Wing Lam, produced. It was a remarkable weapon, so culturally rich because it was an homage to Pigsy of Journey to the West. Sifu Lam had an fine example of the weapon. The head was solid steel and the tines were really thick, maybe 3/4"+ in diameter. It was the only example of a 'combat' rake that I have ever seen. I trust he still has it somewhere. I wrote a little about it in my coverage of Ha Say Fu.

But I came here to post this. I figured it was an excuse to go digging in the archive for just such a thread as this one.

Police in Santa Cruz shoot rake-wielding man dead
    By Evan Sernoffsky Published 2:29 pm, Sunday, October 16, 2016

Photo: Getty Images / /
    Police in Santa Curz shot and killed a man who they said attacked them with a metal bow rake early Sunday.

Police in Santa Cruz shot and killed a 32-year-old man who attacked officers with a metal rake early Sunday, officials said.
    The episode started around 3:30 a.m. when a person in a home on the 200 block of Chance Street called 911, reporting that someone was pounding on the front door, said Joyce Blaschke, a Santa Cruz police spokeswoman.
    The caller later told dispatchers the man had moved to the back door of the home and was “yelling that he wanted to kill everyone inside,” Blaschke said.
    Officers pulled up to the home near Getchell Street and said they found the man still in the backyard. When they tried to call him out, the man attacked officers with what Blaschke described as a metal bow rake.
    The officers told the man to drop the rake and deployed their Tasers, which officials said were “not effective in stopping the suspect.”
    As the man continued the attack, one officer shot and killed him, Blaschke said. The rake-wielding man was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
    His name was not immediately released.
    The Santa Cruz County District Attorney’s Office will investigate the circumstances of the shooting. The officers were placed on paid administrative leave during the investigation, which is standard department policy.
    Evan Sernoffsky is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. Email: esernoffsky@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @EvanSernoffsky
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Cool rakes wolfen

I love that first one you posted. It makes sense that the rake would be a folk weapon as most of the commonplace tools that are converted to weapons are such. However, the fact that these are all 'nine tooth' rakes is significant as that is a nod to Pigsy. His rake was specifically a nine tine example as stated in the Journey to the West. That top rake seems far too ornate for a commonplace tool, so it might have roots in either a temple weapon or opera. There's an amusing bit of trivia research for someone to sort out someday.

Here's more follow-up on the news piece that I posted yesterday. The rake used was definitely threatening, now that I see it.

Man with rake killed by police in Santa Cruz identified
    Bay City News
    Published: October 18, 2016, 7:41 am Updated: October 18, 2016, 8:24 am

SANTA CRUZ (BCN) — A man shot and killed by Santa Cruz police Sunday morning after allegedly walking toward them threateningly with a rake was identified as 32-year-old Santa Cruz resident Sean Arlt.

At around 3:30 a.m., Santa Cruz emergency dispatchers received a call from a male resident of a home on Chace Street.

“Someone is trying to break into my house,” the caller said, according to police. “I want someone here in a hurry,” he said, adding that “everyone’s scared.” He said that he knew the man who was pounding on his front door.

The caller called a second time to ask, “Where are you? There’s someone at my door screaming about killing us.” He expressed concern for a female tenant living in the home’s detached garage, reiterated the suspect’s death threats and hung up on the dispatcher, police said.

The caller armed himself with a large frying pan to defend his family against Arlt.

As four police officers arrived at the home, they saw Arlt in a small backyard area between a fence and the back door, which is accessed from Getchell Street.

The officers ordered Arlt to leave the backyard, and he emerged from the yard armed with a five-foot, wooden-handled, metal bow rake, police said.

The officers ordered Arlt to drop the rake, but he ignored their repeated commands and walked toward them holding the rake over his head “as if he was preparing to swing it,” police said in a statement.

The confrontation was captured on an audio recorder by one of the police officers. Police said officers can be heard telling Arlt to drop the rake eight times during the 20-second confrontation.

The officers retreated from Arlt as he continued toward them with the rake over his head, police said. Two officers then tased Arlt, who continued to walk toward them. One of the officers then tased him a third time, but he continued toward them, police said.

The officers retreated until they were backed against parked cars as Arlt continued to walk toward them with the rake over his head. Once he was within 10 feet of the officers, one of them shot Arlt twice.

The officers immediately provided Arlt first aid as he continued to fight with them, police said. Emergency medical crews then responded, but Arlt was pronounced dead at the scene.

Because of the officer-involved shooting, the county’s Critical Incident Protocol was enacted, with the cooperation of the Santa Cruz Police Department, the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office and the Santa Cruz County District Attorney’s Office, according to police.

Per protocol, the decision was made that the District Attorney’s Office would be the lead investigative agency. The protocol aims to ensure that the investigation remains independent, police said.

The police department will also conduct a separate administrative investigation. Per policy, the involved officers will be placed on administrative leave during the investigation, according to police.

“Two of the responding officers are part of the department’s Crisis Negotiation Team specially trained in de-escalation and addressing persons in crisis,” police spokeswoman Joyce Blaschke said in a statement.

“In spite of the officers’ attempts to communicate with Mr. Arlt, his behavior was erratic and he was not responsive,” Blaschke said.

Arlt was shot just 20 seconds after he emerged from the backyard, according to the audio recording, police said.

“Because of the rapid succession of events, the officers did not have the opportunity to dialogue and negotiate with Mr. Arlt,” Blaschke said in a statement.

A civilian student who was on a ride-along with the officers witnessed the confrontation, and gave an account of the incident that was consistent with the others, police said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Qigong sickness?

"He was a certified Qigong instructor..."

Family of man slain by cops releases statement
    Posted: Wednesday, Oct 19th, 2016
    BY: Tarmo Hannula

contributed Sean Smith Arlt is shown in an undated photo with his son.

SANTA CRUZ — The family of a Santa Cruz man that was shot and killed by police early Sunday morning has released a statement about the incident.

Sean Smith Arlt, 32, was shot multiple times as he rushed at officers with a metal bow rake at 3:30 a.m. during a driving rain. A resident had phoned police saying that Arlt was banging on his back door on Chace Street yelling that he wanted to kill everyone inside, said Joyce Blaschke of SCPD.

When police arrived that’s when Arlt reportedly attacked officers.

According to the family's statement, Arlt was born in Santa Cruz and attended Santa Cruz City public schools. After high school, he spent a year in Seattle as an Americorp volunteer working with inner city children. He graduated with honors in psychology and philosophy from Sonoma State University.

"Sean was loved by his family and many friends and will be greatly missed by those of us who knew him, including his 4-year old son who he loved more than anyone," the statement reads. "He was loving, caring, kind, and greatly inspired by social justice issues."

Arlt had a range of interests, including poetry, painting, writing, music, screenwriting, semantics, Jungian theory, surfing, and lacrosse. He was a certified Qigong instructor and a math tutor.

“He struggled with mental health issues as millions of people do," the statement reads. “Sean’s death on October 16th dramatically highlights the failures in our community for providing services for and respond to the challenges of clients and families struggling with mental health concerns in a caring and professional manner. We understand there are many challenges for law enforcement officers who respond to 911 calls. It is clear more training and resources are needed for responding to a mental health crisis situation. On October 16th the police were well aware that Sean was struggling with mental health issues. The information that has been released so far is not telling the whole story. We are hopeful that with a more independent investigation, the entire truth will come out and justice will be done. We are grateful for the support that the community has given us.”

Blaschke said the officers that responded to Sunday’s incident were aware that Arlt had a prior incident of crisis intervention involving police on Oct. 11 where officers attempted to detain Arlt, who became violent. He was subdued and safely taken into custody after a prolonged struggle. As a result, Arlt was left in the care of a mental health professional to ensure his safety.

“Each of the officers that responded to the emergency call on October 16th had all completed training in the last year on the Santa Cruz County mental health protocol,” Blaschke said. “Additionally, those officers had completed training on crisis communication and de-escalation tactics. Those very tactics were deployed during the October 16th incident and had no effect on Mr. Arlt, as he was unresponsive and uncooperative with the verbal commands.”

Blaschke added that the incident unfolded in the span of 20 seconds.

The Santa Cruz County District Attorney’s office is handling the investigation.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our newest exclusive web article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips