Thread: The problem with the term Wushu

The problem with the term Wushu

I think it's time for the CMA community to find a new word or name to replace our current western use of the word "Wushu".

Every time I try to use the term "Wushu" as a convenient way to refer to the modernized competitive sport system of CMA, there's always one person who has to explain what Wushu actually means in Chinese. We all know what it means! lol

I know I could just say Sports Wushu or Competitive Wushu or something like that, but it's just not the same. The Wushu community needs a new label or name that doesn't have to be clarified every time it's used. Yes? No? Maybe? Probably not?

Good luck with changing language, G_F

Ever read our web article Wushu Needs Name Rectification by An Tianrong? We published it years ago.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Very interesting article! Im sorry to say it's the first time I've seen it. Thanks!

Glad you liked that then...

Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo_Fist View Post
    Very interesting article! Im sorry to say it's the first time I've seen it. Thanks!
    It was posted Feb 15 2005, just shy of fourteen years ago. An Tianrong wrote two other parallel articles for our website around that period that might interest you too:

Competitive Wushu

Traditional Wushu and Competition Wushu (with Cheng Aiping)

Just goes to show the magnitude of our free access KungFuMagazine.com exclusive article archive.

Support us by subscribing!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart