Thread: Nasty Groin Shots in MMA

Slightly OT

It wasn't a bone 'break'.

Yes, that's a pun, a very bad pun. I am ashamed.

MMA fighter feared he had a 'broken' ***** after taking illegal kick to the groin
    By ARI GILBERG
    JUN 25, 2018 | 7:30 PM

Now that’s nuts!

An MMA fighter was taken to the hospital and needed his testicles examined after suffering an illegal kick to the groin during a fight.

Thiago Tavares was the victim of a low blow during his fight against Robert Watley at PFL 2 on Thursday. The kick was so brutal that the impact of Watley’s shin to Tavares’ cup resulted in a loud thumping sound being picked up by the cage-side microphones.

”I thought ‘My God, I’ll look at my ***** and it will be broken or something like that. Something happened,’” Tavares told MMA Fighting. “It was scary. ...I tried to stand back up but I felt so much pain I sat down again and the doctor stopped it.”

Thiago Tavares holds his grown after suffering a gruesome low blow. (PFL2 / PFL MMA Live)

Tavares, who fought in the UFC for nearly 10 years, was rushed to the hospital and told MMA Fighting doctors initially suspected he may have suffered a testicle rupture.

He was later deemed fine after a few hours.

Following the gruesome blow — which can be viewed at the 1:13:58 mark — Tavares was given five minutes to recover, but was unable to continue. The situation would normally result in the fight being ruled a no-contest under the United Rules of MMA. However, the Illinois State Athlete Commission has a different set of rules and, as a result, Watley was awarded a TKO win.

Tavares (21-8-1) disagrees with the result and told MMA Fighting he plans to appeal the decision.

”And they still rule it a TKO due to accidental low blow, man,” Tavares told MMA Fighting. “How can someone knock someone out with an illegal kick? And they still write it down in the result? It’s like a World Cup referee validating a goal with a hand and write it down that the player used his left hand. It makes no sense. If he thought he scored the goal with his head, okay, it’s only one mistake. A grotesque mistake, but only one, like giving this guy a TKO win. But they went ahead and actually made it official that the method was an accidental low blow.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ouch

I'm splitting a thread for Nasty Groin Shots in MMA from our Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches.

Report: Sergei Kharitonov has a hemorrhoid as a result of Matt Mitrione groin kick at Bellator 215

By Mookie Alexander
    @mookiealexander Feb 16, 2019, 3:41pm EST

It was an unfortunate end to the Bellator 215 main event on Friday night, as Sergei Kharitonov took a brutal kick to the groin from Matt Mitrione, and he was rendered unable to continue just 15 seconds into the fight.

Kharitonov, who was writhing in pain the moment he hit the canvas, was taken out of the cage on a stretcher and transported to a hospital. The latest update is that he was indeed in enough pain that he had to go back into the hospital Saturday morning, per ESPN’s Ariel Helwani.

“Sergei Kharitonov was discharged from a local Connecticut hospital last night after getting kicked in the groin by Matt Mitrione, which resulted in a no contest, sources told ESPN,” Helwani reported. “However, he experienced more pain and discomfort this morning and was re-admitted to the hospital.”

“After another round of tests, the doctors determined he did not suffer from any internal bleeding. According to Bellator sources, he does have a hemorrhoid as a result of the kick and has been given topical and pain medication by doctors.”

Kharitonov has since been discharged again.

The accidental kick resulted in a no contest, officially the fastest NC in Bellator MMA history. Mitrione was apologetic in the aftermath, even offering up an immediate rematch against the Russian.

“I cannot begin to explain how sorry I am for everybody that paid to come to the fight to watch that fight between Sergei and I,” Mitrione said (via MMAjunkie). It would’ve been really dope – it would’ve been a great fight. Obviously, it was not intentional – the worst possible situation.

“… Sergei: I’m genuinely sorry. I’m apologetic as I could possibly be.”

“If Sergei is down to go, if he can do it, if his body’s good – hopefully he didn’t rupture a (testicle) – but if he can do it again, then obviously I’m 100 percent down,” Mitrione said. “He’s the only person I really want to fight in this situation because everybody, I think, deserves that. It would’ve been a great fight and a lot of fun. It just sucks, man.”

Oh yes, and you’ll never believe who one of Mitrione’s sponsors is. Ball Wash.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart