Thread: Raging Fire

Raging Fire

Not to be confused with Crossfire. That's still going to be confusing. What's up with Donnie, Benny & fire?

Filmart: Donnie Yen Joins Benny Chan's Cop Thriller ‘Raging Fire’
    5:30 PM PDT 3/19/2019 by Karen Chu

Credit: VCG / Getty
    Donnie Yen

The project is part of Emperor Motion Pictures' new slate, which includes the psychological thriller ‘Declared Legally Dead’ and the romance ‘Just 1 Day.'

Hong Kong action superstar Donnie Yen is set to play a cop who mentors Nicholas Tse in director Benny Chan’s Raging Fire, to be produced by Emperor Motion Pictures.

Emperor last year announced the Yen-Benny Chan collaboration Crossfire at Filmart, but that project has been put on hold, and Raging Fire is a new and unrelated project. Yen’s character is a cop too honest for his own good who sees his protégé, played by Tse, rising in the ranks as his own career stalls. But Tse’s unethical behavior lands him in prison, and the embittered man vows to take revenge on his former mentor.

Also on Emperor’s slate is Declared Legally Dead, a psychological thriller about the suspected murder of a child, starring Anthony Wong (Infernal Affairs) and Karena Lam (Zinnia Flower) and helmed by Steve Yuen (Heaven In the Dark); and the romance drama Just 1 Day, the directorial debut of prolific screenwriter Erica Li, whose credits include Ip Man: The Final Fight (2013), Shock Wave (2017) and Stephen Chow’s King of Comedy (1999). Li will reteam with Charlene Choi, who stars as a woman who agrees to be a dying man's girlfriend for one day.

The Hong Kong studio also announced Two Tigers, a kidnapping comedy about a hostage turning the tables on his captor, directed by Li Fei (Red Amnesia) and starring Zhao Wei (So Young, Shaolin Soccer); and The Fallen, a revenge thriller about the estranged eldest daughter of a meth kingpin going undercover for the police to dismantle her family’s drug empire, helmed by G Affairs director Lee Cheuk Pan and starring veteran actress Irene Wan.

Ongoing projects include director Dante Lam’s $90 million action-adventure The Rescue starring Eddie Peng, a portrait of the heroism of maritime rescuers; the cat-and-mouse cop thriller Caught in Time, directed by Lau Ho Leung (Two Thumbs Up) and headlined by Daniel Wu (Into the Badlands), about a detective’s persistent pursuit of a criminal gang; the murder mystery Detective Vs. Sleuths, a reunion of director Wai Kar Fai and actor Sean Lau, who plays a burned-out detective on the trail of a serial killer; and 77 Heartwarmings, a sequel to the 2017 romance pic 77 Heartbreaks with returning helmer Herman Yau and leads Charlene Choi and Pakho Chau.

KAREN CHU
    THRnews@thr.com
    @thr
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Donnie Yen on How Kong Kong Action Cinema Can Reclaim Its Glory

9:40 PM PDT 5/14/2019 by Karen Chu

COURTESY OF MANDARIN MOTION PICTURES

"Being able to play the same character in four films is a rare opportunity," says Donnie Yen of his role in 'Ip Man 4.'

As his career-defining 'Ip Man' franchise comes to a close, the Hong Kong superstar — who will be featured in Disney’s upcoming live-action remake of 'Mulan' — also discusses improving onscreen Asian representation: "I hope we can make more breakthroughs."
    Since taking up the mantle of Wing Chun grandmaster in Ip Man 4, Donnie Yen has become increasingly synonymous with the real-life martial arts legend, who famously trained Bruce Lee.

In the intervening years, Yen became a part of the Star Wars franchise, playing the fan-favorite blind warrior Chirrut Îmwe in spinoff Rogue One, and will be featured in Disney’s upcoming live-action remake of Mulan. But it has been the Ip Man franchise that brought him into hand-to-hand combat with Mike Tyson and secured him a place among hard-core kung fu aficionados as one of the great action superstars to come out of Hong Kong.

Yen will reprise the role for the last time in Ip Man 4 — on offer to international buyers at the Marché du Film from Pegasus — which follows the title character as he accompanies his protege Bruce Lee when he relocates to San Francisco in the late 1950s.

Along with Mulan, which co-stars fellow Hong Kong legend Jet Li and Chinese actress Gong Li, Yen will soon appear as a plus-size but highly deadly cop in the Hong Kong action-comedy Enter the Fat Dragon, to be released this year. Yen, 55, spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about craving better representation for Asian actors when he was a teenager, how Hong Kong action cinema can reclaim its former glory and why he has resisted training his own children in martial arts.

You have played the character of Ip Man for more than 10 years now. Would you say that this role has defined your career?

Yes, it has. Being able to play the same character in four films is a rare opportunity, and I have to thank the fans of the films for their appreciation. The role has brought me more work and more fans, given me fame and fortune and made me realize that an actor’s life is an unceasing pursuit of bringing to life a character and becoming inseparable from that character in people’s minds.

Fans petitioned online for Disney not to whitewash this remake of Mulan. How did you feel watching that movement unfold? What’s your view on Hollywood’s attempt to embrace diversity in recent years?

I think they should have done this years ago. Since the beginning of time, the world has been diverse. Different ethnicities and cultures have always lived on this Earth. [The pattern of whitewashing ] comes from the fact that Hollywood product has dominated the film industry for decades. And we’ve grown up watching Hollywood films and had been under their influence. For a lot of people, you and me included, when they think of princes and princesses, they’d think of someone with blond hair and white skin. This image has been ingrained in us. But if we think about it, we’d realize that, around the world, Chinese people are quite numerous, too. (Laughs.) So shouldn’t it be time to express these characters and stories with different aesthetics? Something that more people worldwide can share and identify with?

Did you yearn for more onscreen representation for people of Asian descent when you lived in the U.S. during your teenage years?

Certainly. That’s one of the reasons why, growing up during that time, we were all so fascinated by Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee gave us a sense of pride and belonging. We grew up watching Hollywood films and accepting their standards. It was easy to lose track of who we were. When we looked in the mirror, we might wonder why we didn’t look like those onscreen. Of course we also wondered when we’d see something different. But the world is changing, there has been an African American president in the U.S. — that’s something that used to be unimaginable. There are also more and more Chinese actors achieving success on the global stage. As a filmmaker of Chinese descent, I’m very happy and encouraged, and hope we can make even more breakthroughs.

JASON LAVERIS/FILMMAGIC

"I feel it’s lacking a bit of spark," says Yen of the current state of action filmmaking in Hong Kong.
    Will you be accepting more Hollywood roles for that reason?

Well, it depends, first of all, on whether the subject matter and the character interest me. Then it depends on my schedule, since I want to make more Hong Kong films from now on. I’ve always been a Hong Kong filmmaker; I’ve never left. Hong Kong is my home; my children live here. Now that I have a little bit of influence and pull, I’d like to use that to make more films in Hong Kong.

The film you’re shooting now, Raging Fire, is the first time you’ve worked with Nicholas Tse since you both starred in Dragon Tiger Gate (2006). Can you say anything about the project yet?

I’m very happy to reunite with Nicholas, and also Benny Chan, who was the producer and director of two television series I made in the 1990s. We haven’t worked together for over 20 years. As for the plot, I can’t really comment on it now. But the film is action-packed.

Kung fu and action cinema were at the heart of Hong Kong cinema’s heyday. What is your take on the state of action filmmaking in Hong Kong?

I feel it’s lacking a bit of spark. Hong Kong filmmakers are always talking about bringing glory back to the Hong Kong film industry. But what is that exactly? The world is changing rapidly. It’s no longer the same world it was when we were making action films. Hollywood hadn’t developed the visual vocabulary to shoot action, kung fu and combat scenes in our style at that time. But they are very fluent in this language now. So if we stay where we were, the industry will eventually die out.

You have two kids. Is passing your martial arts skills on to them important to you?

My daughter sings and dances, but she’s not that interested in kung fu. My son is still quite young, so I’d rather he learns martial arts from a teacher. Learning martial arts is serious, rigorous business. I don’t want to have any conflicts, or that kind of sternness, with my kids. I don’t spend enough time with them as it is, so I’d like to have quality time — filled only with smiles — when I do spend time with them.

This story first appeared in The Hollywood Reporter's May 15 daily issue at the Cannes Film Festival.
    THREADS
    Ip Man 4
    Cannes
    Mulan
    Raging Fire
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RAGING FIRE《怒火》(2021) Trailer | Donnie Yen Action Movie

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

U.S. theatrical

Jun 24, 2021 9:00am PT
    Donnie Yen Actioner ‘Raging Fire’ Acquired by Well Go USA For North America (EXCLUSIVE)

By Rebecca Davis

Distributor Well Go USA Entertainment has acquired the North American rights to “Raging Fire,” the latest action thriller featuring martial arts superstar Donnie Yen.

The pic is set to hit U.S. theaters later this year before landing on martial arts streaming channel Hi-YAH!.

“Raging Fire” is the final title from the late Hong Kong helmer Benny Chan, who passed away last August. He was best known for action and martial arts works, including crime thriller “The White Storm,” 2011’s “Shaolin, and Jackie Chan pictures “New Police Story” and “Robin B-Hood.”

It was produced by Emperor Film Production, Tencent Pictures and Super Bullet Pictures.

Yen, known for his roles in Disney’s live-action “Mulan” and the “Ip Man” franchises, appears alongside actors Patrick Tan (“Ip Man 3,” “Master Z”), Nicholas Tse (“Shaolin,” “New Police Story”), Jeana Ho (“The Grandmaster,” “Special Female Force”), and Ray Liu (“Flash Point”).

“We are thrilled to team up with Emperor, Tencent and Super Bullet Pictures to bring ‘Raging Fire’ to North American audiences,” said Doris Pfardrescher, Well Go USA president and chief executive. “Martial arts and Asian action fans have been anxiously awaiting the next big Donnie Yen theatrical, and ‘Raging Fire’ is more than worth the wait.”

In the movie, Yen plays Shan, a well-respected veteran cop whose past comes back to haunt him when a sting operation is attacked by a mysterious group of criminals. They are led by Ngo (Nicholas Tse), one of his past protégés on the police force who had once respected and admired him. But Ngo has changed after three years in prison, having emerged with a deep-rooted grudge and a mission to destroy everyone who had ever wronged him — including his former mentor.

“Raging Fire” features work from action directors Huen Chiu Ku (“Kill Bill: Vol. 1,” “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” “Kung Fu Hustle”), Kenji Tanigaki (“Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen,” the “Rurouni Kenshin” franchise, “Enter the Fat Dragon”), and Chris Collins (“Ip Man 4”), as well as action choreographer Kang Yu (“Chasing the Dragon,” “Special ID,” “Big Brother”).

The deal was negotiated by Pfardrescher at Well Go and Miriam Cheung at Emperor Film Production on behalf of the filmmakers.

Well Go USA Entertainment is headquartered in Plano, Texas, with an additional office in Taiwan.
    Good ol' Well Go USA.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

North American theatrical on Aug 13

Jul 30, 2021 12:44pm PT
    Donnie Yen’s Action Film ‘Raging Fire’ to Premiere in U.S. in August (EXCLUSIVE)

By Rebecca Davis

Well Go USA
    The Donnie Yen-starring action thriller “Raging Fire” will open in North American theaters on Aug. 13, its distributor Well Go USA Entertainment announced Friday.

The film is the final project of the late iconic Hong Kong film director Benny Chan, who passed away last summer. Chan was beloved for action films like “The White Storm” and Jackie Chan pictures like “New Police Story.”

“Raging Fire” will screen ahead of its broader theatrical outing on Aug. 9 as the Centerpiece film selection of the New York Asian Film Festival (NYAFF). Later this year, it will land on the martial arts streaming channel Hi-YAH!, prior to its physical and digital release.

“We have been long-time champions of both the late director Benny Chan’s work and Donnie Yen,” said NYAFF executive director Samuel Jamier. “The Centerpiece presentation is the keystone event of NYAFF, representing the tone and unique spirit of our festival, which continues to celebrate popular movies alongside the best of international cinema.”

The festival awarded Chan its Daniel A. Craft Award for Excellence in Action Cinema in 2014, and Yen earned the Variety Star Asia Award in 2012.

“Raging Fire” is produced by Emperor Film Production, Tencent Pictures and Super Bullet Pictures. Texas-headquartered Well Go acquired the rights from Emperor.

Yen is known for his roles in Disney’s live-action “Mulan” and the “Ip Man” franchise, among many others. Here, he will star as the respected but hardline cop Shan, who has tackled a long string of dangerous cases. His past unexpectedly comes back to haunt him when a sting operation is attacked by a mysterious group of criminals led by Ngo (Nicholas Tse), an ex-cop and his former protege. Ngo landed in prison three years prior due to a terrible mistake, and he emerges with a desire to get back at everyone who has ever wronged him — including the man who once mentored him.

Yen and Tse (“New Police Story”) will lead a cast that also includes Patrick Tan (“Ip Man 3”), Jeana Ho (“The Grandmaster”) and Ray Liu (“Flash Point”). The movie features work from action directors Huen Chiu Ku (“Kill Bill: Vol. 1,” “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” “Kung Fu Hustle”), Kenji Tanigaki (“Enter the Fat Dragon”) and Chirs Collins (“Ip Man 4”), as well as action choreographer Kang Yu (“Chasing the Dragon”).
    The last film I bought a ticket for was Donnie's EtFD. I've been to two in-person screeners since then = F9 & Snake Eyes. This is tempting.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RAGING FIRE (2021) Official Trailer | HK Action Cinema | Donnie Yen & Nicholas Tse

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

US theatrical premiere next week

China Box Office: Donnie Yen’s ‘Raging Fire’ Consumes Another Quiet Weekend

No new Hollywood or Chinese tentpoles meant a repeat of the proceeding weekend's box office rankings, as holdovers made modest sales.

BY PATRICK BRZESKI

AUGUST 8, 2021 10:58PM

'Raging Fire' COURTESY OF SIL-METROPOLE ORGANISATION

With no new Hollywood or Chinese tentpoles hitting cinemas, Donnie Yen’s action thriller Raging Fire easily torched the competition for a second weekend at the top of China’s theatrical box office.

The film earned a healthy $21.6 million in its second outing, down 42 percent from its $37.2 million opening a week ago, according to data from regional box-office tracker Artisan Gateway. The film’s two-weekend total stands at $82.8 million. With little by way of strong competition on the horizon, ticketing app Maoyan forecasts the film to enjoy a lengthy run that finishes at over $150 million.

Raging Fire stars Donnie Yen as a righteous cop whose past catches up with him when a former, corrupted protege, played by Nicholas Tse, comes after him seeking revenge. It’s the final feature from the late Hong Kong action director Benny Chan, who died of cancer during post-production in August 2020. The film is produced by Hong Kong’s Emperor Motion Pictures and Sil-Metropole Organisation, along with Tencent Pictures.

The next three biggest earners for the frame all repeated their rankings from the preceding weekend. Holdover teen drama Upcoming Summer scored second with $6.1 million total for a $35.2 million total, while local animated hit Green Snake earned $5.2 million, taking its total to $67.5 million. In fourth, the nationalistic pandemic tentpole Chinese Doctors edged upwards by $2 million, coming just shy of the $200 million marks with a $197.1 million running total.

With China’s theatrical market on course to easily top North America as the world’s biggest theatrical box office again in 2021, Beijing regulators seem less concerned than they once were about making sure that total ticket sales maintain a healthy top-line growth rate. Whenever growth was slipping prior to the pandemic and the U.S.-China trade war, Chinese film regulators would saturate the market with bankable Hollywood imports to boost overall ticket sales. But in 2021, no major U.S. import has been released since Disney’s Cruella opened — to disappointing sales numbers — on June 4; and no U.S. studio films are yet on China’s August or September release calendar.

Total box office earnings in China in 2021 are currently $4.85 billion, down 21.5 percent from where they stood at the same date in 2019, prior to the pandemic.
    I've seen the screener. Stay tuned for a review here on KFM.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest exclusive film review on KungFuMagazine.com

Donnie is back! READ Life After IP MAN: Donnie Yen Stokes his RAGING FIRE by Gene Ching

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Still #1 in PRC

Aug 23, 2021 9:57pm PT
    China Box Office: $5.1 Million ‘Luca’ Debut Can’t Douse ‘Raging Fire’

By Rebecca Davis

Disney/Pixar
    Disney’s “Luca” is the first Hollywood picture to get a release in China in weeks, but its opening figures didn’t make that big of a splash — at least, not close to enough to douse the continued reign of Donnie Yen action film “Raging Fire.”

The animation directed and co-written by Enrico Casarosa swam to a $5.1 million China opening weekend, according to consultancy Artisan Gateway. That was enough to net it second at the sluggish box office this which in which only four films grossed more than $1 million, but less than other comparable Hollywood animations in the past.

Earlier this year in March, for instance, Disney’s “Raya and the Last Dragon” opened third with $8.4 million. Animations hitting in pre-pandemic 2019 did even better, albeit boosted by franchise name recognition. “Toy Story 4,” for instance, debuted that summer to $13.2 million even while going head-to-head with the more popular opening of Hayao Miyazaki’s nearly two decade-old “Spirited Away,” which opened with an even more substantial $28 million. In November of 2019, Disney’s nabbed its best ever China opening for an animation with “Frozen 2,” which debuted to $53 million.

“Luca” also grossed much less than recent local animation and competitor “Green Snake.” The sequel to 2019’s “White Snake” from Light Chaser Animation earned $29.7 million in its first weekend — about five times what “Luca” managed to reel in. Disney’s entry has hit about on par with the much cruder local children’s animation “Agent Backkom: Kings Bear,” which also opened last month to $4.8 million.

Nevertheless, three days worth of sales in China have already been enough to make the mainland the second highest grossing territory for “Luca” worldwide. It has only earned more theatrically in Russia/CIS, where it’s grossed $8.1 million since its June 17 opening there, according to Box Office Mojo. On China’s Douban platform, “Luca” upholds a moderately positive 7.3 rating.

Meanwhile, “Raging Fire” held top spot at the China box office for an incredible seventh weekend in a row since its July 23 debut a month ago. It grossed a further $12.2 million to bring its cume up to $146 million, Artisan Gateway said.

In third place was “Green Snake,” which earned $2.8 million and now has a cume of $81.7 million — far more than the $13.3 million the Maoyan platform currently predicts will be the final tally for “Luca.”

Huayi Brothers’ “Upcoming Summer” made fourth with a further $2.6 million, bringing its cume since July 30 up to $54.3 million, Artisan Gateway said. Bona Film Group’s patriotic pandemic film “Chinese Doctors” earned $800,000

China’s total box office is currently down 25% compared to the same period in 2019, coming in at the moment just shy of $5 billion.
    7 weeks, $81.7 M
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to Win!

Enter to win Raging Fire on Blu-ray Disc™!
    Contest ends 1/20/2022

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips