Thread: Vince Black passed on

Vince Black passed on

I am sorry to say that Vince Black passed on in Feb of this year. I just saw the announcement on the Plum Publications Facebook page. Vince was a well known martial artist and traditional Chinese medicine doctor. In addition to his Kajukenbo, he was also well known for his hsing yi and pa kua. He wrote a very good book on a pa kua system and was responsible for getting the Taiwanese hsing yi teacher Hsi Hong Chi to the United States on several occasions to teach.

I met Vince just a couple of times when he lived in Imperial Beach and had a school in downtown San Diego. Although he had a very well deserved reputation as a fighter, what I remember about him most was his dry sense of humor. The few times I was around him I always enjoyed it very much. So I was sad to hear of his passing. The Wikipedia article on him gives a good outline of his career.

take care,
    Brian

Thanks for posting this, Brian. I'd heard a lot about Vince Black over the years, but never got the chance to meet him.

RIP.

Thanks for posting this about Black Sifu'[s passing, brianlkennedy

I talked to Sifu Ted Mancuso, who runs Plum Publishing and is my Sihing, on Saturday. He told me of Black Sifu's passing. I didn't know him, only by reputation.

Here's Ted's memorial. I'll copy this from the Vince Black thread to the the Ralph Castro one since both are mentioned.

Two Passings

Back in February, the martial world lost two of its pillars.

Vince Black died on February 26 at the age of 68. A practitioner of Chinese martial arts as well as Chinese medicine, Sifu Black had a lifelong relation with his studies, students and teachers. Among other well known instructors he studied with Li Zi Ming, Hsu Hong-Chi, Liao WuChang, Fu Shu Yun, and Wang Shu Sheng. He was deeply involved in Xing Yi, KajuKenBo, Bagua and other arts such as Monkey Boxing. He left many students along with a wide range of material passed to new generations, such as bone setting, martial skills and internal practices. One of the gifts that Sifu Black gave to the martial world was his compilation, in English, of his teacher Li Zi Ming’s writings, a book entitled Liang Zhen Pu. This book has been out of print for a long while, but Plum is bringing it back within the next couple of months.

The day before Sifu Black’s death, on February 25, the esteemed Ralph Castro, one of the world’s top Kenpo practitioners, passed away. He was 87 years old.

He was friend and student of such martial artists as Ed Parker, James Lee, Wally Jay, Jhoon Rhee and Bruce Lee (Sifu Castro being the only man to block Bruce’s back fist).

Born in Hawaii, he moved to the mainland in 1958 and opened the first Kenpo Karate studio in Northern California. He was a devoted family man, including his children in his lifelong love and practice of Shaolin Kenpo Karate.

May their memories be blessings.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart