Thread: Wu-Tang: An American Saga

Wu-Tang: An American Saga

I could've sworn I posted this earlier but some research I'm doing right now made me search here and I couldn't find it. More on this to come

Wu-Tang Drama Series Ordered By Hulu From The RZA, Alex Tse & Imagine TV
    By Nellie Andreeva
    October 11, 2018 10:00am

Photo by Scott Garfitt/REX/Shutterstock

The story of one of the greatest rap groups is coming to television. Hulu has given a straight-to-series order to Wu-Tang: An American Saga, a 10-episode drama from Wu-Tang Clan front man The RZA, writer Alex Tse (Superfly) and Imagine Television.

Created and written by The RZA and Tse, the series is based on the Wu-Tang Clan, one of the most influential groups in hip-hop history, and will explore and expand the band’s world.

Alex Tse

Set in early ’90s New York at the height of the crack cocaine epidemic, the show tracks the Clan’s formation, a vision of Bobby Diggs aka The RZA, who strives to unite a dozen young, black men that are torn between music and crime but eventually rise to become the unlikeliest of American success stories.

Imagine’s Brian Grazer and Francie Calfo will executive produce with Tse and Wu-Tang Clan members The RZA and Method Man. Fellow Wu-Tang Clan members Ghostface Killa, Inspectah Deck, Masta Killa and GZA as well as the Estate of Ol’ Dirty *******, will serve as consulting producers. James Seidman will oversee the project for Imagine.

“I’ve been a fan of Wu-Tang since the mid-90’s and recognized quickly how significant Wu-Tang and The RZA were to the world of hip-hop music and culture. Over the years I’ve gotten to know RZA and it’s clear that he is the soul and storyteller of Wu-Tang,” Grazer said. “Working with RZA and Alex Tse on this series has been a highlight of my career and Hulu is the perfect partner to bring this story to a global audience.”

Wu-Tang: An American Saga marks the first series order for Imagine since it became an independent production company/studio. It also marks Imagine’s second project at Hulu following another music-themed collaboration, the Emmy and Grammy Award winning documentary, The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years.

“The Wu Tang’s unique musical form and authentic storytelling continues to speak to our times,” said Craig Erwich, Hulu’s SVP of Originals. “This series is a conversation worthy event that will bring their history and music to life in a way that hasn’t been seen before.”

The Wu-Tang Clan, often hailed for its unique sound and distinct image, has released five gold and platinum albums, selling 40 million albums worldwide.

“I’m delighted to be partnering with Hulu and Imagine to explore the vast story of the Wuniverse,” said The RZA. “Wu-Tang through our music has always strove to inspire as we entertain. This opportunity to continue the Wu – Saga in a 10-episode series will exponentially increase our inspirational style of entertainment. In the immortal words of ODB “Wu-Tang is for the Children.”

For Tse, the project brings back childhood memories.

“Ever since I heard “Da Mystery of Chessboxing” on the B-side maxi-cassette single of “C.R.E.A.M.” I’ve been a lifelong Wu fan,” he said. “I’ll be celebrating this by buying a pair of Clarks Wallabys.”

Imagine’s series slate also include Empire on Fox and Genius and Mars on National Geographic.

Tse is repped by Lighthouse Management & Media, CAA and Schreck Rose Dapello.
    THREADS
    Wu Forever!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The picture is of Brian Grazer of Imagine Entertainment (Ron Howard is his partner) not Alex Tse. Let's see the real Alex Tse beat that haircut.
    "It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov

Good catch ToD

Quote Originally Posted by Taste of Death View Post
    The picture is of Brian Grazer of Imagine Entertainment (Ron Howard is his partner) not Alex Tse. Let's see the real Alex Tse beat that haircut.
    That was my bad. I cut&pasted the image from the original article but didn't realize that it was two separate images and didn't double-check.

I've fixed it now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the bible

If Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men is the bible, what will Wu-Tang: An American Saga be?

I just realized there are two of these. All this time I've been thinking that they are one and the same.

Showtime's 4-part Wu-Tang Clan documentary is so epic RZA calls it the 'bible' of the band

Jason Guerrasio May 9, 2019, 8:45 AM

Wu-Tang Clan. Showtime

Legendary rap group Wu-Tang Clan tells all in a new four-part documentary on Showtime, "Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men."
    Business Insider sat with Wu-Tang members RZA and U-God, as well as the movie's director Sacha Jenkins, to talk about pulling off the epic telling of the band's history.

RZA and U-God also revealed the personal moments in their lives that were uncovered for the documentary that they were hesitant to allow on screen..

Twenty-five years ago, hip-hop was given a unique sound that has not been duplicated since. With songs that used samples from old kung-fu movies matched with gripping rhymes about personal struggles in New York's Staten Island (which they called Shaolin), nine MCs known as Wu-Tang Clan instantly became a sensation as their rugged style began to circulate through the rap scene.

The group's first album, 1993's "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)," would go down as one of the greatest debuts in the history of hip-hop. It not only launched the group into legendary status, but, as the years past, gave many of the members individual success as solo artists.

Now the Wu is finally willing to tell its story.

Showtime's four-part documentary, "Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men" (premiering Friday), is an exhaustive look at the members' beginnings trying to stay out of jail (or not return to it), followed by international stardom once the first album hit. The group's rise was systematically orchestrated by its de facto leader, RZA, who not only produced the albums (and many of the solo works), but also made the group a multi-million-dollar brand thanks to a popular clothing line as well as production and management companies.

And like every epic story, there's also the bad side. Inner turmoil within the band and the death of outlandish member Ol' Dirty ******* caused years to pass without any new Wu-Tang music. Director Sacha Jenkins does a masterful job connecting all the dots to tell a story that shies away from nothing.

In fact, it's a telling of the Wu-Tang that RZA always envisioned. 

"The idea was a definitive documentary, which I told Sacha is the bible," RZA told Business Insider. "And when it comes to archival, this movie should get an award. I don't know how they got it all."

But RZA needed some convincing at first that Jenkins was right for the job.

At the time when the Wu-Tang were being approached by many Hollywood producers to do something to commemorate the 25th anniversary of "Enter the Wu-Tang," RZA said Jenkins also came to the table wanting to tell the Wu story.

(L-R) RZA and "Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men" director Sacha Jenkins. AP

"He was like, 'I live hip-hop, I'm a black man, I'm an artist, I'm the one who should tell the story,'" and I was like, 'Okay, whatever,'" RZA said.
    But there were few pitching a movie who had as much history with the band as Jenkins. The director recalled being so taken when handed the "Protect Ya Neck" single back in the early 1990s that he put the band, still unknown, on the cover of his underground hip-hop paper, Beat Down. As the years followed, Jenkins continued in other ventures like publishing and filmmaking, and on occasion interviewed the Wu-Tang. With that familiarity, he felt only he could tell the story the right way.

"I told RZA, 'Let's keep it 100, I'm of this culture, I grew up with the same experiences as black men in New York City of that time, I'm the guy.'"

RZA said he thought about it and after a few weeks finally agreed. He now thinks no one was better for the job than Jenkins.

"This was the right team because everyone let them into their homes," RZA said.

Though "Of Mics and Men" features a lot of archival footage of the Wu-Tang performing and crafting hit songs, Jenkins goes a step further and uses the archival to explore many of the members on a personal level that they never thought would be made public.

"When you see the bottom of the poster, where it says '160,'" U-God pointed at a poster that was hanging up in the room where the interview was taking place, "that's the address of my f---ing drug building right there. But I already talked to my lawyers so it's all good. I'm just saying that's how real this s--t is."

RZA admitted he purposely didn't provide any archival footage or photos, but Jenkins and his team somehow got a hold of something that was even more sensitive than his home movies.

"They called me from Ohio and said they were with Dominic, that's my lawyer, and he was going to give them the transcripts of my trial," RZA said, referring to a 1991 felonious assault charge, in which he was ultimately acquitted. "And I was like, 'ummm,' and then I was like, 'f---k it.'"

Jenkins said his goal was always to go deeper than the music.

Throughout the four-part doc we learn about Five-Percent Nation, the movement whose teachings are prominent in many Wu-Tang songs; the harassment by police that many members went through in their youth living in Staten Island; and the personal lives of many of the members — ranging from Ol' Dirty's paranoid state at the end of his life to U-God's son surviving being shot.

Legendary rap group Wu-Tang Clan look back on their career in the Showtime documentary "Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men." Showtime

"To understand hip-hop is to understand the climate and the environment that people like us experience," Jenkins said. "The music that these guys made were reflections of and a reaction to their environment. I called this film 'Of Mics and Men' because Wu-Tang is an American classic, and we have to start looking at black artists as American artists."
    Looking back on the history of the Wu — the poverty and crime the group was brought up in, the unlikely launch to fame, the band drama — RZA compares it all to life strapped on a roller-coaster ride that has led to the surviving members having a stronger bond today than ever before.

"A couple people that didn't make it to this point, they didn't hold on," he said. "We're all still here, we held on."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Joey Bada$$

by Evan Minsker
    News Editor
    JUNE 6 2019
    Joey Bada$$ Is Inspectah Deck in Hulu’s Wu-Tang Clan TV Series
    Dave East stars as Method Man in the forthcoming show “Wu-Tang: An American Saga”

Joey Bada$$ and Inspectah Deck (Getty Images)

A new 10-episode series about the Wu-Tang Clan, developed by RZA, is in the works at Hulu. It’s called “Wu-Tang: An American Saga,” and as it turns out, some legitimate rappers have been cast to play members of the collective. In an interview with Angie Martinez on Power 105, Joey Bada$$ revealed that he’s playing Inspectah Deck and Dave East is playing Method Man. Watch the interview below (with his comments about “American Saga” at the 17:35 mark).

Wu-Tang Clan are also the subject of a new documentary series that aired on Showtime.

Who is playing RZA?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wu-Tang: An American Saga Teaser Trailer (Official) • A Hulu Original

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wu-Tang: An American Saga - Trailer (Official) • A Hulu Original

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Return to Shaolin

RZA to perform at St. George Theatre in November; tickets on sale now
    Updated Sep 5, 2:33 PM; Posted Sep 5, 12:05 PM

Wu-Tang Clan member RZA, an executive producer of the Hulu miniseries "Wu-Tang: An American Saga," posing for a portrait during the 2019 Television Critics Association Summer Press Tour at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP*)

By Victoria Priola | vpriola@siadvance.com

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- RZA returns to Shaolin in November for a special performance at the St. George Theatre.

The rapper, record producer, actor, director and founding member of the legendary hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan will re-score the martial arts film “The 36th Chamber of Shaolin” by Lau Kar-leung at the St. George Theatre on Saturday, Nov. 9, at 8 p.m. Tickets went on sale Thursday at noon.

“RZA: Live from the 36th Chamber of Shaolin” features the artist re-scoring the film live from opening sequence to closing credit, utilizing Wu-Tang’s catalog. Wu-Tang buffs may know that Kar-leung’s film was RZA’s inspiration for the hip-hop group.

“Beyond the kung-fu, it was the reality of the situation that hit me," RZA said. “Growing up as a black kid in America, I didn’t know that that kind of story had existed anywhere else.”

stgeorgetheatre's profile picture
    stgeorgetheatre
    Staten Island! RZA wants to see YOU at the St. George Theatre on Saturday, November 9 for RZA: LIVE FROM THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN! Tickets go on sale today at 12PM #rza #wutangclan #wutang #thewutangclan #shaolin #the36thchamberofshaolin #36chambers #statenisland #stgeorgetheatre
    RZA’s score will feature more than 50 instrumental tracks, beats and vocals individually crafted and placed to amplify the narrative and action of Kar-leung’s classic.

Wu-Tang Clan also has a new Hulu series, “Wu-Tang: An American Saga," which revisits the group’s beginnings. Fans gathered in the heart of the Wu-Tang Clan District on Wednesday for free ice cream and merchandise in support of the series premiere.

HOW TO ATTEND

“RZA: Live from the 36th Chamber of Shaolin" will take place Saturday, Nov. 9, at 8 p.m. in the St. George Theatre, 35 Hyatt St. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets range from $35-$45.
    THREADS
    The 36th Chamber of Shaolin - RZA live score
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

S1e9

Anyone watching this? I haven't gotten there yet. One of the Tiger Claw guys here in the West Coast office is into it and he's a big Wu fan. He's been keeping me up on what he likes about it while trying not to reveal spoilers. I might jump to this ep however because it's the Kung Fu influence I want to see. I heard some of the pre-production on this from a friend who was almost involved - they were talking about reshooting classic scenes from these movies. I'm curious to hear how that came out.

'Wu-Tang: An American Saga' Episode 9 serves as a love letter to long-term fans of the Wu-Tang Clan
    With multiples references and samples from martial arts films and the Supreme Alphabet, the ninth episode served as a buildup to a tense, explosive finale.
    By Neetha K
    Published on : 17:42 PST, Oct 16, 2019

Hulu released the ninth episode of 'Wu-Tang: An American Saga' and wow, what an episode! The 46+ minutes-long episode was littered with references and easter eggs. Not only did Bobby say he is part of the Wu-Tang Clan along with Dennis, Shotgun, Ason and maybe the Genius if he wants to join in, he even asks the lady from Tommy Boy Records if the label will be interested. But the tape Bobby handed her soon makes its way into a box to be forgotten forever. What a mistake!

The very next scene is Dennis watching 'Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang' with his brothers. When his brothers laugh at a scene, Dennis tells them it's not funny and his brother tells him, "Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothin' to f*** with" -- which is the title of one of the songs from the group's debut album, 'Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) -- and we haven't even touched the 10-minute mark of the episode yet! Later, Dennis even spins some rhymes with those words. He even suggests the idea of merging two styles: kung-fu with rap, and the movies with the music. Bobby also starts to learn the Supreme Alphabet and Mathematics (from the Five-Percent Nation) which also played a big role in the group's music.

The penultimate episode serves as a love letter to long-term fans of the Wu-Tang Clan. Not only do we see the influence of the martial arts movies and the Supreme Alphabet building up, we also see Divine's and Power's stories setting up to show how they became the brains behind the business that was the Wu-Tang Clan. The principles Dennis learns from 'Shaolin vs Wu-tang' prompts him to mend his friendship with Bobby, who tells him that Attila stole his tapes and is holding them for ransom. Dennis tells him they're going to take it back as the episode closes with a voiceover sampled from the movie Dennis was watching, "the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be dangerous".

'Wu-Tang: An American Saga' has been touted as a miniseries and there has been no word yet from Hulu or the people involved whether the show will go beyond this season. With one episode left, to bring everything together, fans would be hoping to get more of the show. The trailer for the last episode shows a confrontation between Bobby and Attila as multiple plotlines build up to a climax. Also, Jake Hoffman will appear as Steve Rifkind again.

"Kung-fu don't belong to anybody. It evolves." With the miniseries on Hulu, the RZA has ensured the same can be said of the Wu-Tang Clan. A whole new generation can discover the music and the inspiration these rappers gave to communities across the country.

'Wu-Tang: An American Saga' Episode 10 can be streamed on Hulu next Wednesday.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

renewed

so sayeth Hulu:
    Company Renews Hulu Originals Wu-Tang: An American Saga and Dollface For Sop****re Seasons

Following a successful first season, Hulu announced today the renewal of Wu-Tang: An American Saga. Based on one of the most influential music groups in hip-hop history, the Wu-Tang Clan, the series chronicles the history and formation behind the music group as they deal with the daily struggle of balancing their music career amidst the drug induced early 90’s.

Wu-Tang: An American Saga stars Ashton Sanders, Shameik Moore, Dave East, Siddiq Saunderson, Marcus Callender, Julian Elijah Martinez, Zolee Griggs, Erika Alexander, TJ Atoms and Johnell Young.

The series is created and written by Alex Tse and The RZA and executive produced by Brian Grazer, Tse, The RZA, Method Man, Francie Calfo and Samie Kim Falvey. Wu-Tang: An American Saga is produced by Imagine Television Studios.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips