Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Wick: Chapter 4

There are lots of easter eggs like this...

Listen for the call letters of the radio station.

And be sure to stay to the very end after the credits. There's a killer end of credits scene.

Keanu Reeves Speaks Some Vulgar Cantonese in ‘John Wick 4,’ Delighting Chinese Audiences
    Written by Han Li
    Published Mar. 24, 2023 • 3:30pm

Keanu Reeves attends the L.A. premiere of "John Wick: Chapter 4" at TCL Chinese Theatre on March 20, 2023. | Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic
    Cantonese-speaking moviegoers around the globe were privy to a cinematic Easter egg of sorts in the latest John Wick movie. In one scene, Keanu Reeves speaks some profanities in that audience’s native tongue, together with Hong Kong film star Donnie Yen.

Reeves’ exact line of dialogue was “Ham gaa caan (冚家鏟),” a commonly used term that translates into “May your whole family be bulldozed.” The English subtitle in the movie uses “*****,” a rendering that may downplay its severity somewhat. In terms of its rudeness, the phrase is roughly on par with “You’re a piece of ****.”

Until now, "John Wick: Chapter 4" had largely been notable because of the March 17 death of cast member Lance Reddick.

Chinese-language media in Hong Kong have reacted in an almost giddy fashion, with a wave of celebratory coverage for Reeves, who is of partial Chinese descent.

In an interview with Singaporean media, Reeves said the idea came from his co-star, Yen, who asked the 58-year-old star of "The Matrix" and "Speed" to swear back at him in Cantonese, which many Chinese-speaking audiences were not expecting to hear.

“I hope [my pronunciation] wasn’t too bad,” Reeves said. “I have to learn it on the fly.”

According to HK01, a local media outlet in Hong Kong, the audience in the theater burst into laughter during the scene.

Han Li can be reached at han@sfstandard.com
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Donnie Yen’s John Wick 4 Mission Was to ‘Be the Coolest Motherf**ker’ in the Movie

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

John Wick: How a Simple Idea Turned into a Massive Action Movie Mythology

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Best Scott Adkins Movies to Watch

Read The Best Scott Adkins Movies to Watch ~ my latest interview for Den of Geek

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Greatly love this movie. The action exceeded the previous films, and there are more character developments to the newly introduced characters than I expected. I really love the radio scene in how it spoke to my heart, and Keanu Reeves suddenly cursing in Cantonese. I know Lionsgate stated they want another film, but I'm fine with this being the last main one.

The Best Donnie Yen Movies to Watch Now

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest interview

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

John Wick: Chapter 5

Lionsgate Confirms ‘John Wick 5’ in Early Development
    With the Keanu Reeves-starring 'John Wick: Chapter 4' topping $363 million globally, film chief Joe Drake addressed the future of the assassin franchise during an earnings call.

BY CAROLYN GIARDINA

MAY 26, 2023 10:39AM

Lionsgate’s motion picture group chair Joe Drake teased development of a fifth movie in the studio’s John Wick franchise Thursday during a Q4 earnings call that has fans abuzz.

“What is official is that, as you know, Ballerina is the first spinoff that comes out next year. We’re in development on three others, including five and including the television series, The Continental, which will be airing soon,” he said. “We’re building out the world and when that 5 movie comes, it will be organic — will be organically grown out of how we’re starting to tell those stories. But you can rely on a regular cadence of John Wick.”

The March 24 release of the Chad Stahelski-directed John Wick: Chapter 4 was another hit for the assassin franchise starring Keanu Reeves, topping $363 million globally. Its success instantly raised questions about the potential for a fifth film that reps from the studio and the director himself agreed was on the table.

“It’s very flattering for them to come back and, you know, say, ‘We want more,’ and it’s not just a cash grab. It’s legitimately, the audience wants more,” Stahelski said following Chapter 4′s release in an episode of The Hollywood Reporter’s Behind the Screen podcast series. “I think we all need that little bit of time to go, ‘Whew. Let’s see what’s next.’ … If Keanu and I, a few months from now, sit down at a whiskey bar in Japan again and go, ‘Yep, we’ll never do another one of those,’ and then all of a sudden go, ‘Yeah, but I got an idea,’ we’re open to it.” (Spoilers from the fourth film are ahead.)

In Chapter 4 — with a cast including Ian McShane, Laurence Fishburne, Bill Skarsgard and Donnie Yen — Wick uncovers a path to defeating the High Table, a journey that sets in motion the events of the film and its climatic dual at Paris’ Sacré Coeur.

The movie concluded with McShane’s Winston and Fishburne’s Bowery King standing at a grave bearing Wick’s name. What really happened? We’ll have to wait to find out.
    Why wouldn't they?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chad Stahelski talks JOHN WICK CHAPTER 4, Keanu Reeves, HIGHLANDER

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips