Thread: Xiao Hong quan. In-depth discussion of functional understanding

Xiao Hong quan. In-depth discussion of functional understanding

So I've been at xiao Hong quan for quite awhile. And I'm always learning new things from it. I was hoping I can restart discussion of the mother form.

My XHQ
    https://youtu.be/cR8j4lQO3so

I still had quite a few technical questions. What are the functions of xiexing?

Quote Originally Posted by Xin_yi View Post
    So I've been at xiao Hong quan for quite awhile. And I'm always learning new things from it. I was hoping I can restart discussion of the mother form.

My XHQ
    https://youtu.be/cR8j4lQO3so

I still had quite a few technical questions. What are the functions of xiexing?
    Amituofo, your form looks solid.

to answer your question, it's gonna depend on who's teaching you, entirely,
    example, gong bu xiexing is considered a basic traditional form, aside from hong boxing, and has probably a thousand applications and variations there of. Shaolin is like that. My philosophy with Shaolin is it's forms are a sturdy tree, period. The strongest strong roots, trunk, and branches. It stands strong through all seasons. Even if planted on a river bank.
    The fruit, on the surface, of any martial art form/taolu/katas etc, would be the combat or application. So with Shaolin, given its the strongest tree, when its time to bear fruit, its the best, most lush, and beneficial to the health.

With forms like Hong boxing I learned applications in waves and always with variation, depending on the footwork, depending on the opponents footwork, direction of motion, range distance, center of gravity, weight distribution, etc.
    example; when I learned application first, I was taught to defend a kick by 'draw in and release the fist simultaneously' , so you are blocking or catching a slap or front kick while striking the groin, I thought nothing of it, basic defense, ignored the movement for 13 whole years, then, going through the form in a new class, I learned more variations from an elder student.
    also I learned it can be used offensively....which still puzzles me today. thats another topic entirely.

example of standing defense you could trap an arm to cause an opening while striking the opening, or, you could completely hip toss your opponent, or strike/block/deflect a kick/punch while simultaneously delivering a punch or palm or cutting hand to a vital area in any if the 3 main zones, all from gong bu xie xing. The applications I named are commonly taught in America at a traditional school that teach forms and application, and they will all have variations once in motion. Knowing how to use the body is the point. Once you can do anything with your body, through your gong fu, all the applications will blossom and happen naturally when u need em. Programming fight responses is never a good idea outside of that.

The old fashioned way to figure these things out is with a partner, at slow, mid, then full speed, with all hands and no stancing, then with multiple real time scenarios, then finally in free sparring.
    if you are teaching yourself forms, which is fine by me (Im old fashioned, yet I respect self-discipline), though some argue against it, you have to find a partner to work out the applications you find. or its useless to know them and they will confuse you in a real fight. Always have something to practice with in place of a partner if you want fighting prowess from Shaolin forms. you need to be applying taolu to iron fist bags, heavy bags of any sort, trees, bamboo, pillows full of rice, wooden dummy, whatever, get that impact and range training, working on moving the techniques through your actual active fighting stance.

in terms of learning online, could search youtube for xiao hong applications and its gonna be empty pickings if you dont have someone or at least something to get busy on
    .... Shi Yan Bo might show applications to a form in a video, and Shi Yong Zhi might show the same form, with different steps and different applications. Its still going to boil down to how you perceive it and how loosely you program your forms into your fighting. Then you can apply the form as need be.
    in any instance, keep working on it, because you have the form in pretty nice motion. look man, even to master one of those basic movements in hong boxing, and I mean reeeeeaaaaalllllly master it, is worthwhile. talk about extraordinary gongfu, Shaolin is crammed full if you work at it. people get turned away from tradition so easily, because it doesn't look like fast food, if you know what I mean, so I respect your inquiry a lot. picking these forms apart for the hidden jewels is what its all about.

Amituofo
    Last edited by Djuan; 06-01-2019 at 07:46 AM.

this relates:
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Gong Bu xie xing from Shaolin.org

Name:  GongBu.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  64.9 KB

Heres the description from the source, I'll do an application video soon

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

Some Application

the very last application in this video, follows Ma Bu Dan Pao, I let the application stay in the video variation, if you watch the last part though, Shi De Jian treats his disciple to a "two punch" "two up" application. which is not Ma Bu Dan Pao, its more the motion of Gong Bu xie xing. so for perspective, in real combat, either in defense or offense, using the "shou" of gong bu xie xing, the leading fist from you, can be used to knock the opponents arm upward and off guard to open the center line for the following fist from you.

there are other applications like the shoulder and or hip throw, where you go under the opponents arm with your front thrusting arm and grab around their neck, while pulling their arm and throwing them over your hip or shoulder with your other arm.

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

Yanlei has this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWNNX-IhBJQ which is short but great.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdude View Post
    Yanlei has this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWNNX-IhBJQ which is short but great.
    this is a nice one, Shifu Yan Lei keeps up great videos.

Amituofo!
    Shaolin Meditator

Shaolin Meditator

Gong Bu Xie Xing

Name:  301835004_10227541529302953_8545931885010177948_n.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  99.9 KB
    another great example from January/February 2009 edition of (Shaolin Special) KFTC Magazine by Shi De Cheng

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

Shaolin Meditator

Nice one.

This one is maybe a bit of a stretch, it's kind of basic but anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPxeyAicguY&t=240s

Took me a while to find this one again. More on the pushing palm. With YanZi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07pF699wCaA

When I was learning this form with him, one of the things he emphasized multiple times was that when you are up in the single stance you have 3 weapons available to you.
    He said that one of the important things is to disrupt your opponents rhythm. One of the ways you can do that is to do more attacks than your opponent simultaneously.
    He said if they are doing the typical left punch, right punch, kick, ...
    Attack with both hands at the same time or a hand and the foot.
    If they are attacking with two you do three.
    Then he said if they do three you fly...

you'll notice at the start of this video(1:24) he stresses the turning of the waist. When I was learning this form with him, before we would do the form work we would stand like that
    with our hands on our hips for about 5 minutes on each side.
    After that we would do 250 punches with our hands up sort of like at (2:30) but we did it with fits.
    One up by your ear the other extended out. (we would do that on both sides as well, different legs forward.)
    Then we would do various walking punching combos for about a half hour.

The other thing is the stance we did you can see it at 10:40 feet were basically in a straight line with the back knee bent.

The walking punches were sort of a you shoot your whole body forward off of the back foot.

Shaolin Special back issues

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    Name:  301835004_10227541529302953_8545931885010177948_n.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  99.9 KB
    another great example from January/February 2009 edition of (Shaolin Special) KFTC Magazine by Shi De Cheng

Amituofo
    January/February 2009 edition of (Shaolin Special) KFTC Magazine

15% OFF - Shaolin Kung Fu Special Magazines Pack
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart