Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 Luohan segment in the Nov/Dec 2003 Shaolin edition

18 Luohan segment in the Nov/Dec 2003 Shaolin edition

Amituofo,

Thank you! I just got one in the mail! I cant find the 18 Luohan article in it
    Do you have an online blog/forum archive of the 18 Louhan segment of this edition?

Name:  20190602_000235.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  94.2 KB

Thanks again, really enjoying this years Shaolin special, brings it HOME!

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

It's not an article. It's a listing.

On page 61 in my article So You Want to Train at Shaolin? Your Guide to Dengfeng and New Shaolin Village (NOV+DEC 2003). you'll find a listing of the 18 masters that were recognized and awarded the title as one of the 18 Lohan of Shaolin in 2003.

I know you're digging into Luohan research and this isn't what you were looking for in terms of that, Djuan. Sorry if that cover blurb was misleading. Nevertheless, I'm very proud of that particular Shaolin special. I was just fresh back from Shaolin and managed to secure a ton of research. It's the most comprehensive look at Shaolin Temple ever published in English in a magazine and panoramic snapshot of surrounding community at that time. I hope you enjoy that issue, despite not learning much more about Luohan. In research, it's always the journey. It's only the goal when you're writing a dissertation or something.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Here's the blog...

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    Do you have an online blog/forum archive of the 18 Louhan segment of this edition?
    Shaolin Trips: Episode 2: Reigning in at the Brink of the Precipice

Again this article is not Louhan specific, but this was my blog of that particular trip.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    On page 61 in my article So You Want to Train at Shaolin? Your Guide to Dengfeng and New Shaolin Village (NOV+DEC 2003). you'll find a listing of the 18 masters that were recognized and awarded the title as one of the 18 Lohan of Shaolin in 2003.

I know you're digging into Luohan research and this isn't what you were looking for in terms of that, Djuan. Sorry if that cover blurb was misleading. Nevertheless, I'm very proud of that particular Shaolin special. I was just fresh back from Shaolin and managed to secure a ton of research. It's the most comprehensive look at Shaolin Temple ever published in English in a magazine and panoramic snapshot of surrounding community at that time. I hope you enjoy that issue, despite not learning much more about Luohan. In research, it's always the journey. It's only the goal when you're writing a dissertation or something.
    Amituofu,
    Thanks for clearing that up, still, I'm greatly enjoying reading the issue, its a gem in time and treasure to my collection. I just graduated HS when this 2003 edition was released, and its means a lot to see it again, (Im certain I missed it back then thought I was collecting since 2000) , now theres a seriously long story, about the journey that led me (and my training) back to KFTC mag (and forum again), and ordering this 2003 edition specifically, I wont exhaust your ears yet. lol

Just want to extend my gratitude for the platform and the magazine. It's been more for me, and all that read it, than I can say, which Im sure you hear all the time! no need to apologize either, and I apologize if I was rude to ask that way, just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing out on anything , now this years Shaolin special is also a gem, and I have a lot to thank you for again for putting this together, this year, man we needed it. Also have been seeking to. activate Da Luohan Quan, and theres great inspiration here.
    I just have to say again, Im grateful for your presence and work, as many of us are! The community/village you created unified us all & the insights, inspiration, introductions, influence and alignment you bring us, with KFTC mag, and Kung Fu in general is always most needed and on point.
    and still, as a student, I have to ask where are the articles on the 18 Luohan hands specifically? I remember at least a couple from years ago. If they are available for order I'd like to order them as well.
    Please keep it going!!!!

Much Love and Respect Sifu ,

Amituofo

(ps: always more ma bu , ignites the fire that makes us sweat lakes, make the ROOTS RUN DEEPER, till our the legs shake like branches in strong wind , hold the thighs flat enough to hold the bowl of water still, then firm as mountains we stand )
    Shaolin Meditator

Thanks for your support

Did you read my parallel web piece on Luohan? I published this when our last Shaolin Special was on the newsstands.

Shaolin Ways Episode 4: The Big Worthy One

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Did you read my parallel web piece on Luohan? I published this when our last Shaolin Special was on the newsstands.

Amituofo, I have read it, and I'm enjoying the tangible version as well , the beauty of synchronicity is that it was right in alignment as I have recently been reactivating forms I learned in my early training with a revived spirit, reading Shi De Cheng, and the elaboration you give, even watching the video, the picture, it brought my awareness back to this Da Louhan as a bigger statement in Gong Fu and from Buddha. De Cheng has been quoted saying (not word for word) something along the lines of, he doesnt mind the "monk performers" who wear robes for shows, because in the bigger picture, it's helping spread Shaolin Ch'an Wu Yi.
    Now bringing this home, I've been in the meditation of the "beholding Shaolin" as the most effective vehicle of Buddha in this time. Not buddhism, Buddha. I say this because all the true present day monks and their disciples are PRESERVING the ACTIVE principle of Buddha, in mind, spirit, and body (which is Buddhas presence in all dimensions "Amituofo").
    Most of the world reveres its spiritual teachers, in separation, where as in Shaolin, we are taught from the start, move like Buddha, to Meditate like Buddha, to realize your inner Buddha, and Buddha all around you. This happens with every (fist) form I know, soft or hard, not just Luohan.
    I feel the chi, the awareness returns, only Buddha is there. So hearing you guys move thru this meditation, in your reuniting, pretty much brought me in the room with you, I felt it deeply. I've been going thru this reuniting at the same interval, You all are our Luohans , Bodhisattvas , in this time.
    & All the fist of Shaolin are the Luohan fist, because even if they were built upon from outside influence, or named otherwise, they (fists) were rewoven with the essence of Ch'an, and preserved by Masters of Ch'an (anyone who is responsible for naturally transmitting the genuine teaching they learned, whole heartedly, I respect as a master in my opinion.)

You understand, like any one else who has trained Shaolin vigorously, it's not going to come easy, in any shape or form, you will have to EARN, the GONG FU. Shaolin brings life to the definition of GongFu. With that said, you all are the vessels of Ch'an, of Buddha, right now, the masters who carry on the teaching so the next generation can do the same. I read the articles like scrolls.Every movement is a sutra, every moment is a blossoming.
    Shaolin Meditator

Amiuofo,
    If you dont mind me asking, when he taught this form during his visit, would it be called "Da Luohan Yi Lu" or de he share all roads? if so, can you give brief description of where this version fits in the forms of Luohan shared (agreed on) in the actual Luohan thread?
    Shaolin Meditator

Also I saw links to the KFTCM articles where you tackled Luohan fists before , I'm going to order the availables, I'm sure they are rich beyond measure and always worth it. Makes me wish I kept up with my collection from my teens , smh , I know I probably missed a lot, skimming thru pages looking for what I was looking for.
    anyhow, I always appreciate the work you put it!
    Amituofo
    Last edited by Djuan; 06-13-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Shaolin Meditator

I certainly don't mind your questions, Djuan. That's what this forum is for...

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    Amiuofo,
    If you dont mind me asking, when he taught this form during his visit, would it be called "Da Luohan Yi Lu" or de he share all roads? if so, can you give brief description of where this version fits in the forms of Luohan shared (agreed on) in the actual Luohan thread?
    No, he just said it was the first third of the form and that was only after I asked. He only showed this part - actually in the workshop, Decheng went a few more moves in from the form he demo-ed in our studio. I think he shares as much of the form as the workshop group can handle given the length of the workshop. This was a two-day workshop.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nice, still most worthwhile the experience. Im going to keep researching, the old KFTCs I can grab, and all the other substantial, credible work I can find, I need a the first two volumes of the "Shaolin Gong Fu" series from Tagou if any one has it Name:  51A7SiMIokL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  40.0 KB . when I get my Luohan facts together,
    I'll share my experience and journey with Luohan Quan for those who are interested, it's been an intense blossoming. Thanks for the help and guidance always!
    Shaolin Meditator

Shaolin Gong-Fu: A Course in Traditional Forms

MartialArtSmart.com carried those books for years but the source (direct from Shaolin Temple actually) dried up. I'm not sure it is still in print. Here's our old thread on it, if it's any consolation: Shaolin Gong-Fu- A Course in Traditional Forms by Liu Baoshan.

I have a lot of history with those...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

YOU the forum helps largely!

most honorable thanks to the feedback and support, you help a lot, in ways I cant explain, just know I never leave this forum angry or confused, always peacefully moving in the right direction. That said, I have put together a list of editions from KFTCM to sooth my search on particular topics dealing with 18 Luohan 'hands', and what routines/Taolu are organized under the title precisely.

An issue in America seems to be teachers who were either not interested in or too lazy to have proper translations in the 1990's lol....example, I was taught at a school, that was teaching Ji Ben Gong, as the 18 hands....became very confusing, another school I visited took 18 random stances from different Shaolin forms, using variations of the postures and called them 18 hands.

back in these days, for I, WLE and KFTCM were the only places to get certain material for a kid at least, to do good research, I ordered some books, none of them could draw all the dots together because I was ordering from things ever where lol, a lot of titles with Lohan Boxing this and that, always different styles, some were southern, hung gar, etc, totally throwing me lol. had I knew then what I know now, well....prob would have had the complete Tagou series. The best clues I would find came from WLE and KFTCM.
    also, I do remember russbo.com, and cyberkwoon, around like 2000-02, I was just learning wu bu quan, xiao hong quan in 2000, so these sites were exciting and gave some insights that aligned with your information more, thats how I remember outsourcing as a teen, and then theres a few movies that used to get specific with fighting styles, I wish I could remember those.

So to bring it home, and keep it relative, a lot has taken place since then , and I learned a lot more since then, and I find my self here again, with better tuned antennae, and a wider understanding of what Im looking for, and I answered a lot of questions in a couple days or so.
    Was also inspired to get back to Da Luohan as well, which started me on another path research and practice, and is making my legs and core a lot stronger, lol , all thanks to coming back around to Shaolin, you help a lot, just being you man. I cant say it enough. Elders always tell me if its real, its coming back around, so I find myself in the most intense growth phase of my training in my life, and I had been preparing for it this whole time, and you kept going the whole time..... Through life Gongfu never leaves us or lets us down, only raises us up, makes us stronger, makes us HERE.
    I still get my shoes from WLE, and Im crying right now writing this man just know its all love for you and what you share.

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

That's nice to hear, Djuan

As one of the founders of WLE and a 20-year vet of Kung Fu Tai Chi this year, it's affirming to know that our readership is benefitting from all of the work and research we put in. Thank YOU for your ongoing support.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

:)

Give thanks , more time!

Amituofo !
    Shaolin Meditator

thank you!

the "new" additions arrived today !! ready to dig in these pages!!

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 11.26.59 AM.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  92.4 KB

Amituofo!
    Shaolin Meditator