Thread: MMA Challenges to Kung Fu

Hybrid View

MMA Challenges to Kung Fu

In the wake of Xu Xiaodong Challenges to Kung Fu, more similar challenges are happening and Kung Fu is not doing well. I've culled a few above from that Xu thread for a new thread: MMA Challenges to Kung Fu and posted this to Fake XingYi

Kung fu ‘master’ gouges Chinese kick-boxer’s eye in cheap shot after embarrassing beat down
    Glory Kick-boxing fighter Zhang Wensheng goes to shake Wu Liang’s hand after knocking him down three times in a matter of seconds
    But social media users call Xingyi practitioner a ‘disgrace’ and a ‘coward’ for his sucker punch after the fight had ended
    Nicolas Atkin
    Published: 2:00pm, 7 Jun, 2019

The kung fu ‘master’ gouges Zhang Wensheng’s eye when they go to shake hands. Photos: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

We’ve seen some of the traditional martial artists making excuses for their embarrassing defeats by Chinese MMA fighters. But a kung fu “master” has taken being a sore loser to new heights.
    Xingyi practitioner Wu Liang challenged MMA fighter Zhang Wensheng (46-6, 10 knockouts), who fights for Glory Kick-boxing – to a match-up at a gym in Shenzhen last month, footage of which has gone viral on Chinese social media.
    As you might have expected, Zhang knocked Wu down within seconds of the fight starting, landing a few punches before dropping him with a head kick. Wu came back for more and got dropped again with a right hand, then an uppercut sent him flying off his feet a third time.
    Wu sportingly went to shake Zhang’s hand, but in a move like something out of WWE, he sucker “punches” his opponent with an eye poke.

Another fighter, who acted as the referee for the fight, goes to push Wu out of the way – more for his own protection, as Zhang was pretty angry, as you might expect.
    In the end, Zhang decided not to bother further embarrassing Wu, and walked away.

Zhang Wensheng drops Wu Liang with an uppercut.

Zhang later posted pictures on social media showing the effects of the cowardly move, with his left eyelid swollen and a cut on the bridge of his nose.
    And fans on social media were left outraged by Wu’s actions.
    “Apparently ‘Chi’ is just short for ‘cheap shot’,” commented one user on YouTube channel Fight Commentary Breakdowns, which posted the video.

Wu Liang poses in his traditional martial arts clothing.

“What a disgrace,” wrote another user. “He can’t land a single punch during the fight because he doesn’t know how. So he sucker-punches the guy during the handshake. What a low-life coward.”
    “These traditional martial arts guys have zero honour or logic (especially now they are being exposed),” another user said. “Eye poke after the fight is over? I’ve always been disgusted with the arrogance of TMA, even when I was practising it.
    “Anyone who calls themselves a ‘master’ is just stroking their ego.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

So was the guy who beat up the Xingyi guy an MMA fighter or a kickboxer? Sure, someone can be both, but a kickboxer is not necessarily an MMA fighter.

Similar to the "kiai master" in Japan who got KO'd by a Japanese "MMA fighter" who looked more like a karate (Kyokushin?) fighter than an MMA fighter.

The winners of inter-style fights against kung fu "masters" don't necessarily have to all be "MMA fighters".

You say 'kyokushin'. They say 'mma'

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sure, someone can be both, but a kickboxer is not necessarily an MMA fighter.

Similar to the "kiai master" in Japan who got KO'd by a Japanese "MMA fighter" who looked more like a karate (Kyokushin?) fighter than an MMA fighter.

The winners of inter-style fights against kung fu "masters" don't necessarily have to all be "MMA fighters".
    True. I'm going more off what the headlines say for these news pieces posts I do. And the headlines generally like to say 'MMA fighter' because it's more concise and headline-worthy than 'Kyokushin Karate fighter'. And I do think that's interesting because it reflects and drives the general opinion, ya know?

I know there's a few more old posts I can copy to the beginning of this thread akin to Zhu Chunping vs. Yao Hantian that aren't just more Xu Xiaodong challenges. I just haven't searched them out yet.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart