Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grappling fo Girls

Question Grappling fo Girls

Hi guys, what issues have you experienced teaching women in a mixed class, and how have you got around them? Do you need to make any modifications to things like pummeling drills?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I've worked with women. I have one regular chick in my class right now. I don't modify it. If they can't take getting their boobies rubbed incidentally while training, they shouldn't be training.

I always tell them before they start that some of the positions will feel compromising and uncomfortable, and that if they aren't ready for that they should probably look for something else.

That is kinda my outlook, I was just trying to see if there's a middle way
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    That is kinda my outlook, I was just trying to see if there's a middle way
    There is no middle way in the ring or in the street. You either do it or you don't, boobies or not.

To be honest I prefer teaching women (get minds out of gutter) because they enter the class with an open mind, no ego, and they actually listen to what I tell them!! Can't say the same for the men I have taught. If they have prior experience I inevitably get the "well we did it like this in my Ninja class...." BS, they are usually going WAY to hard because they are eager to prove whos **** is bigger, and they have a real hard time listening to instructions.
    Now I am making a general statement, and it certainly does not apply to all men (nor women for that matter), but these have been my experiences especially since movin up here and teaching more females.
    MK hit the nail on the nose! Yes tits get in the way, but they have to learn to deal. Got one girl who is HUGE, and I find her pulling her rear hand back too far to get around the problem. Told her she needs to try to keep the hands forward to protect her face/head. She manages!
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

I have a female fighter that kicks men's butts all the time.... I also have a few women in the regular contact classes on a pretty regular basis, adn they do what everyone else does. For a whole pile of reasons you don't want to treat them differently. So it really comes down to ; do they want to do it or not?

There are a lot of guys who don't want to "do it" also
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Hey, that's why I'm asking, if you guys don't have problems, that's great, it means I shouldn't either. No-one's going to jump in with a paper on malignant fibrotic breast tissue in female wrestlers are they?
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    for the most part it's been the guys working with the gals who have the problem. the girly girls just go straight to the women's only class and the few who want to really work come in to the regular class.

what's ironic is the simple fact of a women's only class for anything related to self defense...women on women crime isn't too prevalent.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    There is no middle way in the ring or in the street. You either do it or you don't, boobies or not.
    That is so sigworthy.
    Last edited by Vash; 07-12-2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Spacing.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yea, makes me want boobies of my own
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I have a female fighter that kicks men's butts all the time.... I also have a few women in the regular contact classes on a pretty regular basis, adn they do what everyone else does. For a whole pile of reasons you don't want to treat them differently. So it really comes down to ; do they want to do it or not?

There are a lot of guys who don't want to "do it" also
    LOL yah I remember the fist night of kick boxing class, I got clocked by a female who I figured was more concerned about braking a toenail or something.. I learned quickly how wrong I was. Got to love getting kicked by a woman with pink toenails. I still have a mental block about punching them.. maybe I am just odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    yea, makes me want boobies of my own
    Better off just renting them once in a while. Once you own them, you never get to touch them.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Better off just renting them once in a while. Once you own them, you never get to touch them.
    That's why you get other people's wives. Half the cost, but twice the excitement.

And twice the death threats. Don't forget those.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Classic.....

Why would you want to not train in a men's class? Women are more pron to get attacked by a man than a woman.
    If a woman if not able to forget about the "uncomfortable" positioning while grappling then she should go home. Just realistic. I always try to put the few we have against the biggest meanest guy in class, because in reality that's probably what they will get outside the classroom doors.

Let me tell you this from a female point of view. Martial Arts has been a guys world for some time...lots of guys train in it. Personally, if a female can't get over that then she shouldn't be there...plain and simple. I do my best to get the best training that I can get. I currently train at a traditional BJJ school. Females aren't allowed in group classes...however, I can take private classes. That's fine. I do it no problem. My instructor is a guy...big deal. If I can't handle it, then I shouldn't be there. That's my viewpoint.