Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shaolin monk vs experienced thug?

shaolin monk vs experienced thug?

Just a thought,

With a lot of talk about traditional MA not working on the street what do you think would happen in a hypothetical situation where a shaolin monk, lets say he is taking a holiday. He joined the temple when he was ten, he is now 26 and in his prime and renouned for his skill.

When walking back to his hotel one night he is attacked by a 'thug' this guy is bigger than the monk, but not vastly different in size. He is attacked just because he is asian, his attacker is unarmed, but has been fighting since a young age , a real rough background, and is experienced in the sence that he has been in a lot fights before.

What happens?

Anything could happen.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

most monks have many many forms andstyles and good morales to carry them off...

I doubt the "thug" would be in any real danger becauase even if was skilledand a threat, a monk hascertain obligations to takerthe road of lesser harm. I'm the attacker would know he chose the wrong "victim", but really I think he'd run home to moomy

How long is a piece of string?
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Dear William:

Shifu Yan Lei would win.

Sincerely,

dimmakseminar

could the monk cinnibar palm him before the thug reaches him?

Regarding the web page on Monk Yan Lei...
    "His height at only 5ft 5inches enables him to get in close to his opponent for attack without compromising his defences due to his legendary Steel Jacket capabilities."

Ha! At 5'4", I can get closer than *any of you! Too bad for you tall guys; I hadn't realized the trouble you had reaching your opponents. And I don't need steel jacket capabilities, for I have a rather nifty leather jacket. More pliable than Steel, and faster. I do not have cinnibar palm, but I do have cinnimon roll buns, which are the foundation of my art, on which all else rests.

Freehand
    The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne.
    - Chaucer

The monk would effortlessly thrash him and the go get some spicy noodles.

"The monk would effortlessly thrash him and the go get some spicy noodles."

Yup. It's still true that "anything can happen". I can attack an unarmed six year-old and lose, I suppose, if I am particularly unlucky. But folks train in kung fu because it *works. Some of those warrior monks and samurai and such faced death on a regular basis. They didn't train to look pretty, but to stay alive.

William, I would suggest that rumors of traditional arts not working on the street are based on two things: dabbling and nonsense.

I have "trained" for 27 years. But only 16 of those years were under instruction. And half of that time my teachers were mediocre. When I *did train under a good teacher, I only trained 10-15 hours a week. Some of those monks trained for 6 hours a *day. Compare my training to a 27 year monk. I am a dabbler. The arts I've studied all work. But if I get attacked by three experienced, armed muggers and lose, I don't know if that's a strong indictment against my arts.

And then there are those arts which have been changed for tournament fighting or worse yet, made up from scratch. There are folks who have trained for years in certain styles such as <mumble> who have never trained with vigor and serious intent, or have wasted time learning clumsy and ineffective motions.

But even a couple of years with a real art and a good teacher makes a big difference. There are no guarantees, however.

The monk would win, hands down.

Kermit
    The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne.
    - Chaucer

Peace through Non-violence, then the monk would try to enlighten the thug: have him give up worldly possesions, and then go meditate.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Dear Mr. Sansoo Student:

Actually, the Monk would give the thug three opportunities to decide that he doesn't wish to fight, at which point he will deny the gift of violence and return it to sender.

Mr. Freehand:

You are correct about the training of these Monks, however, many train approximately 8-10 hours per day, 6 days per week, for 10 years or more. That equates to at minimum 25,000 hours of training. Compare that to the 3,000 hours of training that an average student might put in over the same 10 year period and you begin to understand why the Monks are so impressive in their physical skill. If only they taught the true techniques of Shao-Lin...

Sincerely,

dimmakseminar

PS: I am really off for my run at this time.

Originally posted by SanSoo Student
    Peace through Non-violence, then the monk would try to enlighten the thug: have him give up worldly possesions, and then go meditate.

Rember William, Shaolin Quan was originaly created by the monks for the purpose of protecting themselves from thugs and robbers that lived and roamed near the temple. So I would say that a shaolin monk would hands down beat any thug.

If the rogue hits his backstab, he's got a good chance. Otherwise, the monk will win.

Originally posted by Shao Lin Long
    Rember William, Shaolin Quan was originaly created by the monks for the purpose of protecting themselves from thugs and robbers that lived and roamed near the temple. So I would say that a shaolin monk would hands down beat any thug.
    Dear Mr. Shao Lin Long:

As some historical accounts might put it, some of the Monks were the thugs and robbers that lived and roamed near the temple.

Sincerely,

dimmakseminar