Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix knee pain

How to fix knee pain

Here is a video on posting today to show instability in my knees. I had a muscle test for knee pain and shin splints, and they always leave me ruined for a day or 2. Tomorrow i will post the video on how to fix it.

https://youtu.be/_SFOjWJJfyU

I apologize for the delay, knee pain video coming tonight

We ran two stories on knees & internal arts this year

I posted them on your knee strengthening thread, Wdhc, but I'll repost them here...cuz we gotta sell mags to keep this forum running, ya know?

Avoiding Knee Pain from Taiji Practice
    Edited and translated by Andrew Wong

SPRING 2019

Are Your Knees Dead?
    Tai Chi and Knee Health

By Xinghong Wang

SUMMER 2019
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Knee Strengthener No_Know Say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3MLQtSG5bs

No_Know exercise for Bagua In turning +.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

::::sigh::::
    Im 34 years young and I *kneed the info in this thread .....

and to make it more fun, I have those issues and did not read the articles about knee health, because when I got the mags, my knee was happy, now he's grumpy.
    smh, well I'll be going through the articles now.
    KFTC magazine for the win!
    thanks again,

Amituofo!
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

happened when I was in gong bu a couple nights ago, my right knee was the forward (bent) knee in the stance, I was locking the stance, and I felt a shift and a subtle pop that actually feels good.
    Now when I straighten my right leg and make it tense, squeezing all the muscles, then slowly lean forward into R gong bu, I get that same "feel good" pop. Now, though Im sayig it feels good, its awkward and painful enough for me to know it shouldnt be doing that. anyone have this pain before and if so, what going on?

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

Blog Entries

I Missed The Fix In The Video I No_Know

Unless you're saying one or more of this compilation of exercises might fix a person's knee pain which you didn't specifically say that, If my knee hurts right now how do I fix it from your video...the actual how to fix didn't communicate to me if it's there in that video.

I don't want you to fix my knees nor help but the exercises, some are standards for prevention, Including prevention was good because it's other than a straight Fix video some might think.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Did some deep stretching and fixed it.....will make a video explanation soon.
    Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

The fix in my video is more prevention, but I could barely walk last Friday due to knee pain. After i done that routine twice i felt better. I participated in a texas meetup today

Blog Entries

Wdhc Seems Very Active

Wdhc you seem very active.

No_Know

I try to be. If things work out here in the near future, I will be a lot more active.

knee work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jeaxvVqqI

heres a video of me working thru the "good pain" and popping my knee as well, which I didn't plan on happening. So you can get an idea of what I was saying about stretching it out. basically leaning into gong bu, and then pressing my foot down into the ground and gripping with my toes, then slowly retracting the stance to straighten my leg and pop/align my knee manually. .....trying to avoid bad gongfu knees, if you have any pointers or self therapy suggestions, for a tall person practicing a lot of low stances let me know please!
    thanks
    Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

Wow. I am so sorry but that gave me some really bad sympathy pains just watching it. I got through about 1 minute and 29 seconds and had to stop.

Please please please stop that routine for now.

As we grow older, our body develops habits. It's natural and out way of life. When we have pain, we limp or change the way we do things to compensate. This compensation causes our muscles to develop differently. This makes one side stronger, the other side not as strong. For me, I walked with my toes slightly pointing out. This made my inner knees weaker and caused my patella to inflame and the meniscus to wear more with movement. I had to physically straighten my toes before walking to fix myself.

Everyone is different. If you can post a video if you walking, I could help better. But for now, when stretching, you are putting way too much stress on your knees. Here are some rules that may help.
    1. NEVER let your knee pass your toes while standing
    2. Do not bounce with your stretch.
    3. Do not lock your knees EVER.

Also you may be going to low for your knees putting more strain on them. Start by feet shoulder width apart. Sink to allow knees to bend and not pass your toes. Step out as far as you comfortably can, heel touches floor. You should be able to still lift your heel off the floor with no problem. Start training there, and as you train slowly go lower, and make sure you keep that control. This will slowly strengthen the muscles around your knees, ankles and hips.

Quote Originally Posted by Wdhc View Post
    Wow. I am so sorry but that gave me some really bad sympathy pains just watching it. I got through about 1 minute and 29 seconds and had to stop.

Please please please stop that routine for now.

As we grow older, our body develops habits. It's natural and out way of life. When we have pain, we limp or change the way we do things to compensate. This compensation causes our muscles to develop differently. This makes one side stronger, the other side not as strong. For me, I walked with my toes slightly pointing out. This made my inner knees weaker and caused my patella to inflame and the meniscus to wear more with movement. I had to physically straighten my toes before walking to fix myself.

Everyone is different. If you can post a video if you walking, I could help better. But for now, when stretching, you are putting way too much stress on your knees. Here are some rules that may help.
    1. NEVER let your knee pass your toes while standing
    2. Do not bounce with your stretch.
    3. Do not lock your knees EVER.

Also you may be going to low for your knees putting more strain on them. Start by feet shoulder width apart. Sink to allow knees to bend and not pass your toes. Step out as far as you comfortably can, heel touches floor. You should be able to still lift your heel off the floor with no problem. Start training there, and as you train slowly go lower, and make sure you keep that control. This will slowly strengthen the muscles around your knees, ankles and hips.
    Thanks man, I appreciate the concern lol you dont have to worry about that routine though, I only did it for the forum to explain and give example of how Im able to stretch and somewhat extend beyond whats needed to get a certain "pop" in the knee, and rotate it still, also while washing my joints (Im still breathing as well) and loosening my lower leg. it looks more painful than it is, and as poor of a technique it is and as bad as it sounds, I actually only do it for adverse therapy. for example , doing that causes me no harm and makes long hours of gong bu or taolu a bit more comfy.

also I have no pain or limp when I walk lol......maybe my post was misleading. what I was initially saying is I got a wierd "restricted feeling in my knee one day, while in gong bu, so on that day I "went too far" with the stance on purpose, in both directions, to get thru the restriction. during that time, I felt a "good feeling pop" which released the tension. I was giving the visual example and verbal description to see if anyone knew how to get that same good effect without extending too far either way..
    lol
    you almost make me want to upload a video of me breakdancing hahahahhaha just to ease your visual pain .....

if you had sore eyes watching that, you should see how the new students, from the young to old, are literally forced into the splits, in both directions , when they start training.
    Shaolin Meditator