Thread: Transitioning between branches of Wing Chun

Transitioning between branches of Wing Chun

In addition to any of the strengths of Wing Chun's techniques and principles, the fact that it is so widely taught could be considered advantageous. If an individual practices a very rare and exotic form of Kung fu or martial arts in general, years can be devoted to a discipline only for a student to be in a predicament should their teacher die, relocate or retire. The student may have to relocate for work or family. However, finding a new wing chun school might not be too hard. Now assuming we are not talking about a flake just bouncing from school to school and organization to organization, can someone easily transition technically from one sub-style of wing chun to another and continue his development or are the lineage variations of this style so different that they are technically incompatible or impossible to integrate with prior training?

I know that politically these various organizations are quite separate, so I'm focusing specifically on facing the challenges of modifying forms, footwork, trading practices, etc to fall in line with a new different lineage of wing chun.

Thanks in advance
    Monkey vs. Robot

Wing Chun core sets are the same from one sub to the other.

Siu Nim Tao, Chum Kiu, Biu jee and the 108 dummy set for empty hand along with the 8 cut knives and the 6.5 dragon pole for weaponry.

Other schools may include further learning according to the teachers previous learning, but the core sets should be there and the principles of the style are driven off the core sets.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Innovation

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    In addition to any of the strengths of Wing Chun's techniques and principles, the fact that it is so widely taught could be considered advantageous. If an individual practices a very rare and exotic form of Kung fu or martial arts in general, years can be devoted to a discipline only for a student to be in a predicament should their teacher die, relocate or retire. The student may have to relocate for work or family. However, finding a new wing chun school might not be too hard. Now assuming we are not talking about a flake just bouncing from school to school and organization to organization, can someone easily transition technically from one sub-style of wing chun to another and continue his development or are the lineage variations of this style so different that they are technically incompatible or impossible to integrate with prior training?

I know that politically these various organizations are quite separate, so I'm focusing specifically on facing the challenges of modifying forms, footwork, trading practices, etc to fall in line with a new different lineage of wing chun.

Thanks in advance

My Sifu is still alive. But two things he taught us. WAS not to be dependent on him to keep learning. His Thing was i will teach you WC for three years. After that its up to you to continue to practice diligently and learn and progress. He told us to focus on fighting, sparring and learning what works and absorbing other peoples skills and adding to our own, He also taught teaching someone else would increase our skill among other things.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"