Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I agree, DJuan, that practitioners need to have experience fighting different styles outside of their own, and even different individuals within those styles. IMO, it's crucial during one's younger years/developmental stages. And yes, it's harder to do so with traditional MAists. I find some more 'modern/eclectic' systems like Kenpo or Kajukenbo are often more open to exchanging with outsiders than, say, many typical traditional CMA schools.

Another thing I've found when I competed in some CMA tournaments years ago is that I encountered a number of CMA people who exuded a kind of snooty, passive-aggressive hostility, even if some of their teachers, at least by outward appearances, did not. These were often among students who did not partake in sparring competitions.

A sense of elitism is not uncommon in MA in general, but seems especially prevalent among many CMA practitioners. "Our system/lineage/school is the best and only legitimate one." Which is kind of pathetic, because nowadays, MMA and BJJ are the kings of most sought-after MA, for young adults, anyway. Arguments of superior/inferior in MA are meaningless. And it's generally easier to become elitist if one is kept sheltered from facing outsiders.
makes total sense, then from that perspective, do you think it helps the general MA community?

just for balance I will look at both sides; if you have something you want to keep a certain way without outside influence, then maybe you can play that way, its hard on the soul tho, and does corrupt a weak ego. so only the master with ultimate levels of sagacity can pull that "keep my style in the mountains" vibe off , in any time period, let alone today.
we know todays average MAist is not a sage , nor interested in that level of inner peace. so what ultimately happens to these traditional styles, is they get watered down by explotiers, or just completley misunderstood, misrepresented and then lost in translation amid the new wave of fighting st

so then to bring it up to speed, for today, wouldnt it be smarter to share, if all signs are pointing to MMA, putting your art out there, properly, not only is a noble gesture to the MA community, it ensures its ability to endure the times, and adapt, rather than become a mcdojo with relics locked in museums.

Then I always have to remind myself the core of the community is putting the arts to use somehow, and thats why they cant share in an intimate way, so I understand that part, I'm speaking about general public MA schools that represent various traditional styles. they arent training assassins, per say, so they should be puttin up/out a proactive fight (one that keeps their art, and the MA community growing and thriving).

I mean, unified MA (traditional/modern) must be in pretty shabby condition, if you can go on youtube and watch young MMA fighters beat up old guys that claim to be traditional masters, that means, the younger students and masters of these styles are THAT caught up in the "saving face" that they are actually allowing their school or style to lose face?

with all the cards out, we can let time tell the truth, that style hoarding leads to the loss of some pretty magnificent fighting arts. we already lost a lot due to lack of recorded history and oral transmission leading the method of exchange from generation to generation. then we lost more to cultural and political destruction, thru the decades. now we have to deal with stubborn, or just unnecessarily haughty and stingy MAist, hiding away from the MA community. Most people probably think this is a dumb argument.....however, this is why we find ourselves traveling and researching the intricacies of style we PRACTICE, because so little was transmitted in a solid way.

this probably applies to other things outside of MA, for all our sake I will insert the silence here to stop me from talking about it beyond the topic lol.

and I greatly appreciate the perspectives and insights.

Amituofo