The Caodong sect is said to have been founded by Dongshan Liangjie (洞山良价)(807–869), you can google his name and find a lot of information. My initial frustration came from feeling like popular Zen history doesnt honor Shaolin properly in its glory, and in some cases, doesnt mention Shaolin at all. Even on wikipedia, you find articles on Zen, and Caodong Lineage, which dont mention Shaolin at all. So I was wondering if anyone wrote about the lineage specifically, and I found a decent book on it I'll share.

heres a table which someone outlines the lineage, yet and still, each name has significance. Many of the monks attained full nirvana, becoming Luohans. Hui Neng is one great example, and it's said his martial skill, was second to none, yet we have no record of it, and when he's mentioned, usually it's not with Shaolin, nor having anything to do with his martial prowess.

We have to look at it from the perspective of Buddhahood, thats why the lineage is kept, it's less about records or titles for historical or political purpose. If you are really studying the lineage, you are getting into transmission of Buddhahood, and Shaolin being the vanguard of the Dharmapala.
Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 1.10.53 AM.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  92.1 KB

Here is a nice book on the topic:
Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 12.48.26 AM.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  92.7 KB

Amituofo