Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zhang Weili

Senki - Episode 02 - Zhang Weili - Chinese Martial Artist

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

So tacky of Jedrzejczyk

UFC strawweight champ Weili Zhang slams Joanna Jedrzejczyk for joking about coronavirus

The Chinese-born champion was not happy at the former champ's joke invoking her homeland
    Brent Brookhouse
    38 mins ago • 1 min read

As Weili Zhang prepares to defend her UFC women's strawweight championship against former champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk, she is also dealing with a crisis in her country. Zhang became a hero in China after winning the title with a 42-second knockout of Jessica Andrade last August. But China is currently struggling with an outbreak of coronavirus, with the country reporting more than 130 deaths and 5,974 confirmed cases of the virus.

Jedrzejczyk posted a photo on her Instagram of a photoshopped magazine cover in anticipation of the fight with Zhang positioned in the foreground and herself in the background wearing a gas mask, apparently a reference to the fast-spreading disease. The attempt at a joke drew a serious response from the champion.

"To make fun of tragedy is a true sign of ones character," Zhang wrote in her own Instagram post. "People are dying, someone's father, someone's mother, someone's child. Say what you want about me if it makes you feel stronger but do not joke about what's happening here. I wish you good health until March 7. I will see you soon."

Zhang and Jedrzejczyk face off on March 7 in the co-main event of UFC 248. The event takes place from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The fight marks the first title defense for Zhang and an attempt for Jedrzejczyk to regain a championship she held from March 2015 to November 2017 while establishing herself as one of the most dominant forces in women's MMA. Jedrzejczyk has lost three consecutive championship bouts.

Jedrzejczyk posted a response on her own Instagram, offering a partial apology in a video while also telling Zhang to not get emotional.

"Hey champ, hey Weili," Jedrzejczyk said. "So sorry to make you feel bad, but I would never make fun of people with an illness or virus. I didn't want you to get offended, but I just made fun of the funny internet meme. So, so sorry, but still, I will see you on March 7 and don't get emotional, OK?"
    Here's the image:

THREADS
    Zhang Weili
    Coronavirus
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Looks like Zhang is training with legendary Thai boxer Saenchai in preparation for her next fight!

Last edited by Kymus; 02-08-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

here's another video that breaks some of it down

like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

I’m betting that Zhang’s title fight will be postponed, due to the virus and the travel restrictions on people coming in from China.

Been wondering about that myself

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I’m betting that Zhang’s title fight will be postponed, due to the virus and the travel restrictions on people coming in from China.
    I beleive she's already out of China but I'm not sure. I thought she was training somewhere else, like Abu Dhabi or somewhere. We shall see.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

FEB 28 ONE fight in Singapore closed to fans

Coronavirus forces One Championship to put Singapore MMA show behind closed doors
    ‘King of the Jungle’ will still be broadcast live on February 28 but tickets for Singapore Indoor Stadium will be refunded
    ‘My team and I had the option to cancel the event altogether, but we chose not to,’ says CEO Chatri Sityodtong
    Nick Atkin
    Published: 10:54am, 18 Feb, 2020

Stamp Fairtex pummels Puja Tomar in Bangkok. She will headline the ‘King of the Jungle’ card in Singapore. Photos: One Championship

One Championship has decided to press ahead with its “King of the Jungle” card in Singapore on February 28, but the event will play out behind closed doors because of the outbreak of the deadly coronavirus.
    Chatri Sityodtong, CEO of the Asian MMA promotion, said all tickets bought for show at the 12,000-capacity Singapore Indoor Stadium would be refunded, after deciding against cancelling it altogether. The event, headlined by Stamp Fairtex defending her atomweight kick-boxing title against Janet Todd, will still be broadcast live on television and digital platforms.
    The Singapore government had already raised the DORSCON (Disease Outbreak Response System Condition) alert level to orange last week, with the Ministry of Health urging organisers to cancel or defer non-essential events.
    “My team and I had the option to cancel the event altogether, but we chose not to cancel it,” Sityodtong said in a statement.

Demetrious Johnson will now get his One flyweight title shot in Jakarta, instead of Chongqing.

“Let us unite as a country and let us show strength as a continent to conquer this coronavirus,” he added. “We will get through these tough times together. Majulah Singapura! Jiayou China!”
    There have been 77 reported cases of the coronavirus in Singapore, but no deaths. China’s health authorities on Tuesday reported 1,886 new coronavirus cases and 98 deaths on the mainland, taking the totals to 72,436 and 1,868 respectively, as of midnight on Monday.

The coronavirus has already seen One relocate its April 10 show from Chongqing in China to Jakarta, Indonesia.

One flyweight grand prix winner and former UFC champion Demetrious Johnson will aim to add more gold to his resume when he takes on flyweight champion Adriano Moraes, in the first of four bumper “One Infinity” cards in 2020.

The UFC has also been affected by the outbreak of the coronavirus in Asia. Strawweight champion Zhang Weili has twice had to move her training camp, first from Beijing to Thailand, and then to Abu Dhabi, ahead of her UFC 248 title defence on March 7 against Joanna Jedrzejczyk.

Nick Atkin

Nick is a production editor on the South China Morning Post’s sport desk, where he covers mixed martial arts (MMA). He was previously a sports writer and editor for ESPN.
    THREADS
    ONE Championship
    COVID-19
    Zhang Weili
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

visas

They were smart to get out quickly.
    Zhang Weili granted U.S. visa, Yan Xiaonan lands in Auckland for UFC fight
    By Guilherme Cruz@guicruzzz Feb 19, 2020, 10:00am EST

Zhang Weili puts her title on the line against former champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk in March. Esther Lin, MMA Fighting

In the end, despite several scary roadblocks along the way, Chinese strawweights Zhang Weili and Yan Xiaonan are one step closer to making it to the Octagon.

Along with welterweight Li Jingliang, the fighters decided to leave their home country for Thailand after the novel coronavirus outbreak hit Beijing in January. Zhang and her team chose to fly to Abu Dhabi a few days later while waiting for clearance to enter the United States.

There have been more than 75,000 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus with over 2,000 deaths. All but six of the deaths come from China.

Zhang’s jiu-jitsu coach Pedro Jordao told MMA Fighting the fighter received her United States visa on Tuesday, clearing the path for the UFC champion and her team to travel to Las Vegas for her upcoming title defense opposite Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 248 on March 7. Zhang is expected to leave Abu Dhabi on Feb. 21.

Yan, who meets Karolina Kowalkiewicz at this weekend’s UFC Fight Night card in Auckland, finally landed in New Zealand on Tuesday night, her jiu-jitsu coach Ruy Menezes told MMA Fighting.

Yan arrived with four kilograms (8.8 pounds) left to cut before the official weigh-ins, where she has to hit the 116-pound mark, but Menezes doesn’t expect it to be an issue. UFC Auckland goes down Sunday morning local time.

Jingliang, currently booked to face Neil Magny on March 7, expects to be given a visa to enter the United States soon to compete in Las Vegas. “I don’t think there will be any problem,” Menezes said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

UFC 248 Countdown: Zhang vs Joanna

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anatomy of a Fighter is just one guy doing behind the scenes stuff to help promote fighters (usually before their next fight) because he felt like the UFC does a poor job of it.

TBH, Zhang Weili is the only MMA fighter whose fights I have any interest in anymore. I gave up watching UFC/MMA sometime ago, but I’m really hoping that she wins her upcoming fight.

She’s very easy to cheer for.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-03-2020 at 02:46 PM.

This is the first UFC fight that has caught my interest in a long time.

No laughing matter: Zhang Weili serious about getting a win for China amid coronavirus fears
    Kevin Iole
    Combat columnist
    Yahoo Sports Mar 5, 2020, 10:56 AM

LAS VEGAS — Zhang Weili had the look on her face that an 8-year-old gives her mom when she’s told she has to finish her spinach before she can go out to play with her friends.

Zhang walked into a room in the UFC’s new Apex facility certain of what she was about to face: Questions about the coronavirus, its impact on her country, her opponent’s jokes about it and the role it’s played in her training.

The UFC’s first Chinese champion will face former champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk on Saturday in the co-main event of UFC 248 at T-Mobile Arena in the first defense of her title that she won when she mugged Jessica Andrade on Aug. 31 in Shenzhen, China.

That victory, which came in just 42 seconds, was barely mentioned. Nor was the impact she could have on the sport in her country of 1.4 billion people.

Even when UFC president Dana White expressed his love for the fight and said he regularly checks Zhang’s Instagram account.

“Have you watched her training?” White asked a small group of reporters. “They had a video of her punching the other day. And I’m telling you right now, she throws punches better than 99.9 percent of the men that I’ve ever known in my entire career.”

Normally in a situation like this, that would have led to a debate about his comments and a series of follow-up questions, but this wasn’t a normal day. The coronavirus is no longer just a Chinese problem, and fear is gripping many in the U.S., where 11 people have already died as a result of it. Water, toilet paper and antibacterial soap are flying off the shelves in big box stores as people are trying to fight what could become a pandemic.

In a strange way, Zhang finds herself at the center of it. She began her training camp for this fight in China, but when the virus broke out, she went to Thailand. She was quarantined for two weeks there, then got out and was into her regular training again when the virus reached Thailand. That moved her to Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates and then to the U.S.

Fighters are notorious for being creatures of habit, and any changes to their routine can throw them off. And Zhang admits that it hasn’t been simple dealing with the changes in camp, let alone everything else she’s had to face.

“Saying it didn’t affect my camp or my preparation would be a lie,” Zhang said via her striking coach, Tommy Wang, who served as her interpreter. “Definitely, I got affected a little bit, but it’s a part of life.”

Zhang Weili of China holds an open training session for fans and media during the UFC 248 open workouts at MGM Grand on March 4, 2020 in Las Vegas. (Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)

Judging by her appearance, it hasn’t affected her all that much. At an open workout, she lifted her T-shirt to display an incredibly muscled abdomen. It didn’t get that way while sitting outside, texting on her phone.

It was a hassle, but that’s pretty much all it was. Her parents and her brother remain in China but she has faith in the government’s response and feels they are safe.

So as she makes final preparations for her first title defense, nothing has taken her focus off of being the best fighter she can be when the bell rings on Saturday.

“I’m not worried about them at all, because the Chinese government is doing a fantastic job … to protect us,” she said of her family.

That can be debated, but what can’t is Zhang’s determination to turn a negative into a positive. MMA is a growing sport in China, mostly popular with younger people — where have we heard that before? — and she’s the poster child for Chinese MMA.

She could be the Trojan Horse for the UFC in China, which is why a statue of her and UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya stands in the lobby of the state of the art 93,000-square foot Performance Institute in Shanghai. The UFC wants to leverage the increased interest in MMA that came as a result of Zhang’s victory and turn it into bigger events with more and better Chinese fighters.
    THREADS
    Zhang Weili
    covid-19
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Zhang Weili wins by split decision! It was a real close fight with Zhang being out struck in volume from Joanna Jedrzejczyk (JJ) but landing more powerful combinations. When they would exchange strikes, Zhang would land nasty hooks, ignoring JJ's jab cross flurry and even eating them in hopes of getting a KO or TKO. I felt like Zhang won rounds 1, 2, and 5. The commentators were mentioning in the middle rounds that Zhang was getting tired and JJ was looking for a head kick to Zhang's left side, but it never came and in the final round she picked up the pace to dominate. JJ outstruck Zhang some, but I think Zhang won based on cage control, power shots, and damage inflicted. The next big challenge for Zhang will be former champion "Thug" Rose Namajunas (and possibly rising star Tatiana Suarez after that) who was the only other one in the division to beat JJ.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/3/8...nt-classic-mma

butter face...

SportsCenter
    @SportsCenter
    ·
    2h
    Before ➡ after.

UNREAL 😳 #UFC248

Great fight. Kudos to both fighters.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Joanna is okay

In the end, Joanna accepted defeat respectfully, despite all the early smack talk. Glad she's okay.

JOANNA JEDRZEJCZYK EXITS HOSPITAL WITHOUT SIGNIFICANT INJURIES FOLLOWING BRUTAL FIGHT AT UFC 248
    STEVEN MUEHLHAUSEN TWITTER
    Mar 9, 20203:08 AM

Jedrzejczyk appears to be OK after one of the greatest fights in women's MMA history.

In the co-main event of UFC 248, Zhang Weili and Joanna Jedrzejczyk put on the greatest women's fight of all time, with Zhang coming out on top with a narrow split-decision victory to retain the women's strawweight title.

When the dust settled, Jedrzejczyk had signifcant swelling on her forehead, as she had battled through a massive hematoma that developed in the early stages of the fight.

ESPN MMA

@espnmma
    BEFORE ➡️ AFTER #UFC248

12:46 AM - Mar 8, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    907 people are talking about this
    After the fight, Jedrzejczyk was immediately rushed to the hospital to get checked out to see if there were any other injuries beyond what happened to her forehead. Early Sunday, ESPN reported that Jedrzejczyk was released from the hospital without any serious injuries.

Ariel Helwani

@arielhelwani
    Joanna Jędrzejczyk was just discharged from the hospital, according to her team. No significant injuries, they said. Here she is leaving moments ago. 📷 @gldlx

3:33 AM - Mar 8, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    587 people are talking about this
    Zhang and Jedrzejczyk combined to land 351 significant strikes, which was the third-highest total in UFC history. By herself, Jedrzejczyk connected on 186 significant strikes, the most in UFC history for a fighter who came up on the short end of the stick.

Jedrzejczyk (16-4) made no excuses in defeat and was proud of the back and forth battle that ensued with herself and Zhang. The former 115-pound champion felt the increased swelling starting from the halfway point of the fight until the final bell sounded, but it didn't deter her from going out there and leaving it all inside the Octagon in an attempt to regain her belt.

"You see my [swelling], I felt this, you know, she did great," Jedrzejczk said in her post-fight interview. "There was something missing, but I felt all the punches, from the third round the [swelling] was bothering me, and I felt it just getting more and more swollen, and my head was, like, going on and off.

"Thank you guys for coming and supporting me," Jedrzejczyk continued. "I will see you soon... It doesn't matter. I carry myself as a champ, with the belt or without, I was there. Very proud of her, congrats Weili."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips