Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Farewell

The Farewell

Of course there's Tai Chi in this. I've been thinking I should check it out - now I've got an excuse.

‘The Farewell’ offers a loving glimpse into Chinese culture

( PG ) 4 stars ( Monitor Movie Guide )
    How does a family living across two cultures reconcile differences? “The Farewell,” based on a true story, shows one way to navigate such a split.
    July 31, 2019
    By April Austin Staff writer

American audiences rarely have an opportunity to see contemporary films directed by and featuring people of Asian heritage. The successful 2018 movie “Crazy Rich Asians,” which followed a typical romantic-comedy format, was a notable exception. Watching it made many moviegoers wish for a film with deeper, more fully realized Asian characters and a less formulaic plot.

“The Farewell,” which garnered critical praise at the Sundance Film Festival in January, is very nearly that movie. It deals with a less glamorized and more kitchen-sink view of family life than “Crazy Rich Asians,” and it also provides an affectionate and accessible glimpse into Chinese culture and values.

Although it’s marketed as a comedy, “The Farewell” has much to say about the tensions between the individual and the family and between those who leave their country and those who stay behind. Because Lulu Wang is a relatively young filmmaker (she’s in her 30s), it’s intriguing to imagine how she might refine her storytelling in subsequent projects. But more on that later.

Wang based “The Farewell” on her own family story. In 2013, her grandmother (nai nai in Mandarin) in Changchun, China, was diagnosed with a fatal illness, which the family decided to hide from her. To Western audiences, this situation seems unbelievable. But, as we learn in the film, Chinese families routinely withhold this kind of information, believing that it would break the spirit of their loved ones.

Wang, who moved with her parents from Changchun to Miami when she was 6 years old, was brokenhearted by the news about her grandmother, with whom she had remained close. The film became a vehicle for saying goodbye, as Wang has said, while also offering an opportunity to explore the family’s perspective.

Wang’s stand-in in the movie is Billi, the granddaughter, who arrives in Changchun along with the extended clan, preparing to say farewell to their adored matriarch. To conceal the real purpose of their visit, they stage an elaborate wedding. We see Billi pushing back at what she sees as her family’s misguided decision to lie to Nai Nai. In the United States, Billi argues, it would be unconscionable to keep a diagnosis from someone; it might even be illegal, she says to her dad. But in China, a relative tells her, it’s the family’s job to carry such a burden. Billi isn’t satisfied with that answer. What if she wants to say goodbye? she asks.

Billi’s worry and grief are compounded by feelings of guilt. She hasn’t visited Nai Nai in the last several years, and her relatives suggest that she’s hurt her grandmother by her absence. They consider Billi to be American, not Chinese. Her Mandarin skills are negligible.

The movie may sound ponderous, and while it deals in serious subjects, it also has a funnier, airy side. Billi’s relatives are a lovable, wacky bunch, led by her delightful granny, whose spunk and joie de vivre lighten the film. (Audience members were audibly delighted with Nai Nai’s scenes.)

Billi is portrayed by American actress and rapper Awkwafina, whose comic turn in “Crazy Rich Asians” stole that movie. She’s toned down her persona to play this role, and although she’s believable and engaging, she spends much of the movie looking sadly out at the passing scenery. You do sense, however, that there is more going on behind those sad eyes.

The real star is Shuzhen Zhao, who plays the grandmother. Her Nai Nai is a blend of indomitability, charm, shrewdness, and puckish delight. Not to mention she’s got game when it comes to tai chi moves. So nuanced is her performance that it’s not until the end of the movie that you see her give way to her own emotions as Billi departs, leaving her standing in the street.

This penultimate scene is undeniably affecting. However, with Wang’s decision to hew so closely to real life, she may have missed an opportunity to tell an even more dramatic and satisfying tale. Billi doesn’t really grow over the course of the film; her character lacks a final emotional payoff.

Wang has said she deliberately resisted turning “The Farewell” into a conventional drama. As she told Slate, “[M]anipulating the story for the sake of plot points and drama would take away from what the story is actually about. It isn’t about some big reveal but about the Western desire to have answers ... and how do you deal when you can’t get them. [At the time,] I wanted that catharsis – this moment where some big, dramatic thing happens. And what you realize is, actually, it’s not that dramatic at all.”

Instead, she says, “The drama is interior.”

In Mandarin and English with English subtitles.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That wasn't Tai Chi

It's Qigong. It's a small yet pivotal scene and gets echoed throughout the film.

I used to disregard Awkwafina for her awkward stage name but she charmed me in Crazy Rich Asians. Here she truly impressed me with her acting chops and I won’t mock her name anymore. It’s a comic tragedy or a tragic comedy set it modern day PRC and Awkwafina is the only recognizable actor. Writer director Lulu Wang has a keen eye for surreal China, it’s harsh exhausting power and addiction to ritual - I could almost smell China again and it’s been a decade and a half since I’ve been there. A solid and sublime film that’s had me laughing and crying at unexpected moments, as well as sorting my inherited cultural baggage. No fight scenes at all, but worth checking out if you're into Chinese cinema. Also, mark my words, Tzi Ma is on the rise.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

18th Annual Unforgettable Gala

Character Media Announces Nominees For 18th Annual Unforgettable Gala

Character Media announced today the nominees for the 18th Annual Unforgettable Gala. The Gala is the preeminent awards show to recognize Asian American icons and changemakers in the entertainment industry, who are representing the community through their creativity and excellence. Nominees were voted on by Character Media's selection committee of experts, who represent various fields and creative disciplines, including film, television, music, sports, digital technology and philanthropy.

The following are this year's nominees. Additional awards will be announced at a later date.

Actor/Actress in Television:

Daniel Wu - "Into the Badlands"

Jameela Jamil - "The Good Place"

Karen Fukuhara - "The Boys"

Leonardo Nam - "Westworld"

Nico Santos - "Superstore"

Actor/Actress on Film:

Ali Wong - "Always Be My Maybe"

Awkwafina - "The Farewell"

Kumail Nanjiani - "Stuber"

Randall Park - "Always Be My Maybe"

Steven Yeun - "Burning"

Breakout Actor/Actress on Television:

Andrew Koji - "Warrior"

Derek Mio - "The Terror: Infamy"

Greta Lee - "Russian Doll"

Maya Erskine - "Pen15"

Sydney Park - "Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists"

Breakout Actor/Actress on Film:

Charles Melton - "The Sun is Also a Star"

Himesh Patel - "Yesterday"

Maya Erskine - "Plus One"

Tiffany Chu - "Ms. Purple"

Viveik Kalra - "Blinded by the Light"

Comic Performance:

Ali Wong - "Always Be My Maybe"

Hasan Minhaj - "Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj"

Jo Koy - "Comin' in Hot"

Ken Jeong - "Ken Jeong: You Complete Me, Ho"

Ronny Chieng - "The Daily Show"

Director:

James Wan - "Aquaman"

Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi - "Free Solo"

Justin Chon - "Ms. Purple"

Lulu Wang - "The Farewell"

Nisha Ganatra - "Late Night"

Digital Influencer:

Bobby Hundreds

Bretman Rock

Jenn Im

Jubilee Media

Steven Lim

The award recipients will be announced at the 18th Annual Unforgettable Gala, held at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, CA, on December 14, 2019.
    THREADS
    Asian Film Festivals and Awards
    Into The Badlands
    The Farewell
    Warrior
    Aquaman
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Refuse to bend

COLUMNS OCTOBER 31, 2019 10:20AM PT
    Refusal to Compromise Hasn’t Hurt ‘Farewell,’ ‘Lighthouse’ Filmmakers’ Oscar Chances
    By MARC MALKIN
    Senior Film Awards, Events & Lifestyle Editor
    @https://twitter.com/marcmalkin

CREDIT: COURTESY OF CASI MOSS/A24

Lulu Wang’s “The Farewell” is based on a true story about her own family.

Observing a Chinese tradition of not telling elders when they’ve been diagnosed with a fatal disease, Wang’s relatives reunited in China in 2013 to visit with her grandmother after the family learned she had incurable cancer. Her grandmother was kept in the dark, told instead that everyone had traveled to China for a cousin’s wedding.

In “The Farewell,” Awkwafina stars as Billi, a first-generation Chinese American writer based on Wang, who struggles to find the balance between her Western upbringing and her Eastern roots. Wang’s pitch, which included a mostly Chinese-language script, wasn’t immediately embraced by producers and financiers. “It’s what you’d expect,” she tells me. “It was like, ‘What is this film? It’s all Chinese and it’s about a grandmother? How is that high stakes? What does it matter if [you] tell her or not, because she’s 80 and she’s going to die anyway?’”

Naturally, Wang wanted to have direct creative input in the project. “It was a very tough sell especially because I wanted to maintain authenticity in the casting and in the language.”

At one point, she met with a potential Chinese investor who was excited, but also suggested that the Billi character bring a boyfriend to China with her, a white guy “who can’t even use chopsticks.”

Wang refused to bend: “That was not the movie I wanted to make.”

She cobbled together $3 million to make the film, which premiered at Sundance in February. Indie distributor A24 subsequently bought the rights for more than $6 million.

The film’s release in July was met with glowing reviews from critics and has a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. As of Oct. 24, the domestic box office totals more than $17.6 million.

On top of the critical and financial success, “The Farewell” is a strong awards season player. Wang could very well earn Oscar noms for best picture, director and screenplay. Awkwafina has a strong shot at a lead actress nom. Zhao Shuzhen may earn a supporting nom for her work as the grandmother.

“I actually worry about that stuff,” Wang says about the Oscar buzz. “I have Chinese parents and a Chinese mother whom whenever things are too good, she’s like, ‘Keep your head down and be careful.’ It was always ‘One step at a time and one foot in front of the other.’”

Wang may have just taken one step closer to Oscar gold, gaining more momentum last week when her movie picked up Gotham Award nominations for best feature, actress (Awkwafina) and screenplay (Wang).

Robert Eggers is another writer-director who wouldn’t let commercial pressures get in the way of his vision for “The Lighthouse.” While it may not be a box office hit like “The Farewell,” Eggers’ second feature after his indie breakout “The Witch” could attract Oscar love come nominations time.

“The Lighthouse” is a psychological thriller starring Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe as lighthouse keepers in the 19th century who begin to mentally unravel while stationed on a remote New England island hit by a howling winter storm.

The two-hander was shot on 35mm black-and-white film with an early-sound era aspect ratio of 1.19:1.

The film was backed by A24, RT Features and New Regency, but Eggers recalls, “I think everyone was excited by the prospect of collaborating, and then they got the script and the look book, and they were like, ‘Oh, this is what you want to do? Can you shoot it on color digital format or even color negatives so we can have a color version so we can sell it to certain foreign markets that won’t accept black-and-white movies?’”

Like Wang, Eggers wasn’t willing to budge.

“This is how we had to do it,” he says. “And once we had further conversations, they were incredibly supportive and got why it was so important.”

Pattinson remembers Eggers hosting a party about halfway through filming. “They were showing us [footage] and I was watching it and I was like, ‘This does look absolutely crazy,’” the actor says, laughing. “‘This is nothing like I have ever seen before in theaters. Do people even put this in theaters?’”

“The Lighthouse” premiered in May at Cannes, where it won the critics’ award for best first or second features in Directors’ Fortnight and Critics Week. Dafoe could be on his way to earning his third consecutive Oscar nomination for supporting actor following last year’s lead nod for “At Eternity’s Gate” and a supporting nom in 2018 for “The Florida Project.” He is among the Gotham Award nominees for best actor.

While the lead actor category continues to be this year’s most competitive, Pattinson is certainly in the game.

“I think if there was any compromise whatsoever on this, it would have no audience at all,” he says. “You have to take the gamble.”
    It will be awesome if The Farewell gets an Oscar nom.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bong Joon Ho FTW

'Parasite' Voted Best Picture by New York Film Critics Online
    3:08 PM PST 12/7/2019 by Trilby Beresford

Telluride Film Festival
    'Parasite'

In addition, Bong Joon Ho was tapped as best director for his work on the film.

Parasite has been named best picture of the year by New York Film Critics Online (NYFCO). The vote took place Saturday.

In addition, Bong Joon Ho was tapped as best director for his work on the film, which also garnered best screenplay honors.

Us' Lupita Nyong'o was named best actress and Joker star Joaquin Phoenix was chosen as best actor, while Laura Dern was hailed as best supporting actress for Marriage Story and Joe Pesci was recognized for his supporting role in The Irishman.

The NYFCO, founded by reviewer Harvey Karten in 2000, met in Lincoln Center's Furman Gallery inside the Walter Reade Theatre for its 20th annual convocation. Last year, the group selected Roma as best picture.

A full list of 2019 winners follows.

Picture: Parasite
    Director: Bong Joon Ho (Parasite)
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)
    Actress: Lupita Nyong'o (Us)
    Supporting Actor: Joe Pesci (The Irishman)
    Supporting Actress: Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
    Screenplay: Parasite (Bong Joon Ho, Han Jin-Won)
    Cinematography: 1917 (Roger Deakins)
    Documentary: Apollo 11 (Neon)
    Foreign Language: Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Neon)
    Ensemble Cast: Knives Out (Casting director: Mary Vernieu)
    Breakthrough Performer: Kelvin Harrison Jr. (Waves, Luce)
    Debut as Director: Lila Aviles (The Chambermaid)
    Use of Music: Rocketman (Elton John, Bernie Taupin, Giles Martin, Matthew Margeson)
    Animated Feature: I Lost My Body (Netflix)

Top 10 Films:

1917 (Universal)
    The Farewell (A24)
    Hustlers (STXfilms)
    The Irishman (Netflix)
    Jojo Rabbit (Fox Searchlight)
    Joker (Warner Bros.)
    Marriage Story (Netflix)
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Sony)
    Parasite (Neon)
    The Two Popes (Netflix)

TRILBY BERESFORD
    Trilby.Beresford@THR.COM
    trilbyberesford
    THREADS
    The Farewell
    Joker
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Parasite
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

opening scene

FROM THE MAGAZINE OSCAR SPECIAL 2019
    The Farewell: Anatomy of a Scene
    Writer and director Lulu Wang dissects a pivotal scene, which draws on Chinese mourning traditions—and takes place at her actual grandfather’s grave.
    BY YOHANA DESTA
    DECEMBER 11, 2019

IMAGES COURTESY OF A24.

It begins with a woman wailing at a funeral. Identified only as the Crier, she’s the first thing in the frame in a searing scene in Lulu Wang’s The Farewell. Amid the interpersonal drama that plays out in the cemetery, there is also a glimpse at Chinese mourning traditions, including the hiring of professional criers to performatively sob at burials. Billi (Awkwafina) has joined her family to visit her late grandfather’s grave. Once there, they give offerings like food, flowers, and cigarettes, and ask him to bless them. The Farewell is based on Wang’s real family, and their decision not to tell her grandmother (called Nai Nai in Mandarin, and played by Zhao Shuzhen) about her cancer diagnosis. But this particular scene is a tribute to Wang’s grandfather and was filmed at his grave site at a cemetery in Changchun, China.

“He wanted to be a writer, but he died before he got to achieve his dreams,” Wang said. “Being able to make this movie at his grave years later and being a writer now myself was really powerful.”

The scene, like much of The Farewell, is poignant and funny. Nai Nai leads the family through the elaborate ritual in the cemetery when she doesn’t know she herself is dying, while other characters grumble about how long the whole thing takes. For Wang, the trip to the grave encapsulates how she feels about visiting her family in China: “The humor, the life, the joy, and the sadness.” Here, Wang breaks down a few key moments in the scene, from the symbolism of the Crier (who may or may not be a paid professional) to a paper iPhone.

The Melodramatic Crier
    “There’s not that many paid criers anymore. It really depends on what part of China you go to.”

The Food
    “Eating food in front of a tombstone feels unusual [to Americans]…[but] I think it also speaks to the mind-body connection, right? The physical and the spiritual being connected. That you are at this grave and you’re offering food that you’re sending up to your ancestors, so you bring the things that they like.”

The Order of the Offering
    “The art department was like, ‘Well, what do we put down for the offering, and in what order?’ They all started arguing about it.”

Nai Nai in Charge
    “This is really the scene where it’s about Nai Nai. It’s about grandma as the matriarch. It’s about how she is the one who unites the family and leads the family through these rituals, and how she represents the connection to these rituals and traditions and to their ancestry.… When she’s gone, who’s going to lead the family?”

A Practical Ritual
    “There’s this idea of they’re sacrificing and they’re honoring the spirit of their ancestor, but at the same time they’re very pragmatic about it. Like they’re sending a paper iPhone.”
    Maybe because I've been to Chinese graveside rituals like this,this scene didn't need explanation for me. But apparently it does for Vanity Fair readers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Golden Globe Nominees 2020

I only copied the films we've discussed here.

Winners & Nominees 2020

Best Motion Picture - Drama

NOMINEE
    Joker

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

NOMINEE
    Dolemite Is My Name

NOMINEE
    Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

NOMINEE
    Joaquin Phoenix
    Joker

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

NOMINEE
    Awkwafina
    Farewell, The

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

NOMINEE
    Leonardo DiCaprio

NOMINEE
    Eddie Murphy
    Dolemite Is My Name

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture

NOMINEE
    Brad Pitt

Best Director - Motion Picture

NOMINEE
    Bong Joon Ho
    Parasite

NOMINEE
    Todd Phillips
    Joker

NOMINEE
    Quentin Tarantino

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

NOMINEE
    Quentin Tarantino
    Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood

NOMINEE
    Bong Joon Ho, Han Jin Won
    Parasite

Best Motion Picture - Foreign Language

NOMINEE
    Farewell, The
    USA, Lulu Wang

NOMINEE
    Parasite
    South Korea, Bong Joon Ho
    THREADS
    The Golden Globes
    Parasite
    Dolemite is My Name
    Joker
    The Farewell
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

92nd short lists

92ND OSCARS SHORTLISTS

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced shortlists in consideration for the 92nd Academy Awards in nine categories: Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, International Feature Film, Makeup and Hairstyling, Music (Original Score), Music (Original Song), Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film and Visual Effects.

INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM
    Ten films will advance to the next round of voting in the International Feature Film category (formerly known as Foreign Language Film) for the 92nd Academy Awards. Ninety-one films were eligible in the category.

Academy members from all branches were invited to participate in the preliminary round. They must have viewed the submitted films theatrically and met a minimum viewing requirement to be eligible to vote in the category. Their seven choices, augmented by three additional selections voted by the Academy’s International Feature Film Award Executive Committee, constitute the shortlist.

In the nominations round, Academy members from all branches are invited to opt-in to participate and must view all 10 shortlisted films in order to cast a ballot.

The films, listed in alphabetical order by country, are:

Czech Republic, “The Painted Bird”
    Estonia, “Truth and Justice”
    France, “Les Misérables”
    Hungary, “Those Who Remained”
    North Macedonia, “Honeyland”
    Poland, “Corpus Christi”
    Russia, “Beanpole”
    Senegal, “Atlantics”
    South Korea, “Parasite”
    Spain, “Pain and Glory”

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
    Ten films will advance in the Makeup and Hairstyling category for the 92nd Academy Awards. All members of the Academy’s Makeup Artists and Hairstylists Branch will be invited to view seven-minute excerpts from each of the 10 shortlisted films on Saturday, January 4, 2020. Members will vote to nominate five films for final Oscar consideration.

The films, listed in alphabetical order by title, are:

“Bombshell”
    “Dolemite Is My Name”
    “Downton Abbey”
    “Joker”
    “Judy”
    “Little Women”
    “Maleficent: Mistress of Evil”
    “1917”
    “Once upon a Time…in Hollywood”
    “Rocketman”

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
    Fifteen scores will advance in the Original Score category for the 92nd Academy Awards. One hundred seventy scores were eligible in the category. Members of the Music Branch vote to determine the shortlist and the nominees.

The scores, listed in alphabetical order by film title, are:

“Avengers: Endgame”
    “Bombshell”
    “The Farewell”
    “Ford v Ferrari”
    “Frozen II”
    “Jojo Rabbit”
    “Joker”
    “The King”
    “Little Women”
    “Marriage Story”
    “Motherless Brooklyn”
    “1917”
    “Pain and Glory”
    “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
    “Us”

DOWNLOAD

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
    Fifteen songs will advance in the Original Song category for the 92nd Academy Awards. Seventy-five songs were eligible in the category. Members of the Music Branch vote to determine the shortlist and the nominees.

The original songs, along with the motion picture in which each song is featured, are listed below in alphabetical order by film title and song title:

“Speechless” from “Aladdin”
    “Letter To My Godfather” from “The Black Godfather”
    “I’m Standing With You” from “Breakthrough”
    “Da Bronx” from “The Bronx USA”
    “Into The Unknown” from “Frozen II”
    “Stand Up” from “Harriet”
    “Catchy Song” from “The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part”
    “Never Too Late” from “The Lion King”
    “Spirit” from “The Lion King”
    “Daily Battles” from “Motherless Brooklyn”
    “A Glass of Soju” from “Parasite”
    “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from “Rocketman”
    “High Above The Water” from “Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am”
    “I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away” from “Toy Story 4”
    “Glasgow” from “Wild Rose”

VISUAL EFFECTS
    Ten films remain in the running in the Visual Effects category for the 92nd Academy Awards. The Visual Effects Branch Executive Committee determined the shortlist. All members of the Visual Effects Branch will be invited to view 10-minute excerpts from each of the shortlisted films online or attend satellite bake-off screenings in January 2020. Following the screenings, members will vote to nominate five films for final Oscar consideration.

The films, listed in alphabetical order by title, are:

“Alita: Battle Angel”
    “Avengers: Endgame”
    “Captain Marvel”
    “Cats”
    “Gemini Man”
    “The Irishman”
    “The Lion King”
    “1917”
    “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
    “Terminator: Dark Fate”

Nominations voting begins on Thursday, January 2, 2020 and concludes on Tuesday, January 7, 2020.

Nominations for the 92nd Academy Awards will be announced on Monday, January 13, 2020.

The 92nd Oscars® will be held on Sunday, February 9, 2020, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® in Hollywood, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network. The Oscars also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.
    THREADS
    Academy Awards
    Parasite
    Dolemite is My Name
    The Farewell
    Alita
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

PRC release

I'm rather curious to see how this does in PRC. My guess is that China just won't relate to it. It's much more an AmerAZN thing.

DECEMBER 23, 2019 10:15PM PT
    ‘The Farewell’ Gets New China Release Date
    By REBECCA DAVIS
    Rebecca Davis

CREDIT: COURTESY OF A24

Awkwafina’s “The Farewell,” directed by Beijing-born Lulu Wang, is now scheduled to hit Chinese theaters Jan. 10, nearly two months after its originally announced release date and six months after its U.S. release.

The movie was initially set to appear in Chinese cinemas Nov. 22 but was pulled just two days before, supposedly in the hopes of earning a better slot that wouldn’t put it directly up against “Frozen 2.” It remains to be seen whether any cuts were made by Chinese censors, but at the moment, the film’s listed running time in China remains the same as in the U.S.

“The Farewell’s” monthlong theatrical run in China will now fall between the Golden Globes on Jan. 5 and the Oscars on Feb. 9. The movie has been nominated for best foreign-language film at the Globes, and Awkwafina is in the running for best actress.

Although “The Farewell” was celebrated in the U.S. for its Asian American representation, a number of Chinese distributors initially passed on the title, feeling that its American-ness wouldn’t resonate with mainland Chinese audiences. Maoyan is now distributing and calls the film a U.S.-China co-production.

Besides Awkwafina, “The Farewell” stars Tzi Ma, Diana Lin and Zhao Shuzhen. Though Awkwafina has blown up as a star in the U.S., she remains little known in China, where “Crazy Rich Asians” failed to hit its mark. The romantic comedy made a paltry $1.65 million (RMB11.4 million) in the world’s second-largest film market.

Popular on Variety
    The sudden postponement of “The Farewell’s” release in November was one of a slew of last-minute cancellations and changes to this year’s Chinese release calendar. Most of those decisions have come with no explanation, although heightened government censorship is likely the cause in many cases.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

And the winner is...

Winners & Nominees 2020

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
    WINNER

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
    WINNER
    Joaquin Phoenix
    Joker

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
    WINNER
    Awkwafina
    Farewell, The

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture
    WINNER
    Brad Pitt

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
    WINNER
    Quentin Tarantino
    Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood

Best Motion Picture - Foreign Language
    WINNER
    Parasite
    South Korea, Bong Joon Ho
    THREADS
    The Golden Globes
    Parasite
    Joker
    The Farewell
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Awkwafina's Golden Globe

Follow the link if you want to hear the interview.

AWARDS JANUARY 5, 2020 7:45PM PT
    Awkwafina Makes History With Golden Globe Win
    By ADAM B. VARY

Making Golden Globes history, Awkwafina has won the best actress in a musical or comedy award for her performance in “The Farewell” as Billi, a Chinese American woman who travels back to China with her family to say goodbye to her terminally ill grandmother (Shuzhen Zhao), who does not know she is sick.

The actress took the stage joking, “This is great, thank you. If I fall upon hard times I can sell this, so that’s good.”

She then thanked her family, everyone at A24 and the director Lulu Wang, “You gave me this chance — the chance of a lifetime.”

It’s the first time a performer of Asian descent has won a lead actress Golden Globe Award for a film. Last year, Sandra Oh became the first Asian woman since 1980 to win best actress in a TV drama for BBC America’s “Killing Eve.”

Backstage, Awkwafina commented on the significance of her win. “I just heard that fact and it was pretty mind blowing,” she began. “There’s also this other feeling that you want there to be more, and I hope this is just the beginning.”

She went on to say how “deeply” she connected to the experiences of her character.

“I relate to her mentality a lot,” she said. “A lot of children of immigrants in this country do. We are raised to feel like Americans, and when we go back we’re told we don’t belong there. It’s a constant feeling of being lost in translation, and that’s something that definitely resonated with me.”

When asked about her future involvement with Marvel’s forthcoming “Shang-Chi” picture, the actress remained suitably tight-lipped.

“I’m gonna go do that next,” she said. “I love Destin (Daniel Cretton), I trust him and I think he’s an incredible director. I don’t think I can say more about my character, but I hope she’s awesome.”

A first-time Globes nominee, Awkwafina won over Ana de Armas (“Knives Out”), Cate Blanchett (“Where’d You Go, Bernadette”), Beanie Feldstein (“Booksmart”) and Emma Thompson (“Late Night”).
    THREADS
    The Golden Globes
    The Farewell

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It's Qigong. It's a small yet pivotal scene and gets echoed throughout the film.

I used to disregard Awkwafina for her awkward stage name but she charmed me in Crazy Rich Asians. Here she truly impressed me with her acting chops and I won’t mock her name anymore.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I used to disregard Awkwafina for her awkward stage name but she charmed me in Crazy Rich Asians. Here she truly impressed me with her acting chops and I won’t mock her name anymore. It’s a comic tragedy or a tragic comedy set it modern day PRC and Awkwafina is the only recognizable actor. Writer director Lulu Wang has a keen eye for surreal China, it’s harsh exhausting power and addiction to ritual - I could almost smell China again and it’s been a decade and a half since I’ve been there. A solid and sublime film that’s had me laughing and crying at unexpected moments, as well as sorting my inherited cultural baggage. No fight scenes at all, but worth checking out if you're into Chinese cinema. Also, mark my words, Tzi Ma is on the rise.
    I saw this, and while I can’t say it’s a ‘fun’ watch, or that it was particularly ‘entertaining’ for me, I found it compelling to watch. Some (or much) of it hit a bit too close to home, as I lost my mother last month after being her primary caregiver for years.

Awkwafina is a real acting talent who seems able to handle a range of different characters, if needed. Interestingly, many actors who excel at comedic roles also excel at heartbreaking drama.

Tze Ma has been a familiar face at least since the ‘90s, almost always playing a young girl’s or woman’s Chinese dad, or the Chinese scientist. I don’t know if he’s on the rise, or just doing what he’s always been doing, though in The Farewell he played an important role, unlike most of his roles I’ve seen him in.

I was surprised that I could still understand much of the Mandarin dialogue, even though I haven’t really spoken it since I left Taiwan 27 years ago. But I did read the subtitles as well, and here is my complaint: The tiny white subtitles were too often put over white objects in the picture, making them almost impossible to read. Would it have been too hard for them to move the subs for the DVD onto the lower black part of the screen? I probably could have gone without reading them for the most part, but I could imagine others who cannot understand Mandarin at all getting frustrated by the subs.

And yes, the qigong turned out to be surprisingly pivotal.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-15-2020 at 09:58 AM.

PRC flop

I'm rather curious to see how this does in PRC. My guess is that China just won't relate to it. It's much more an AmerAZN thing.
    Called it.

China Box Office: 'The Farewell,' 'Richard Jewell' Both Flop as Local Holdovers Win Slow Weekend

11:49 PM PST 1/12/2020 by Patrick Brzeski

Casi Moss/A24
    'The Farewell'

Despite its rave reviews and the China-set story, 'The Farewell' failed to connect with the mainland Chinese filmgoing public, opening to just $290,000.

The second weekend of 2020 made for a downbeat period of moviegoing at multiplexes throughout China, with local holdover releases taking the top three spots at the box office.

New Classic Media's romantic comedy Adoring scored first with $8.8 million, according to Artisan Gateway, a box office tracking company. After two weekends, the film has earned $81.3 million. Kung fu flick Ip Man 4: The Finale was just a step behind with $8.5 million for a $147.7 million total, while Chinese thriller Sheep Without a Shepherd, a remake of an Indian box office hit, took third place with $8 million and $149.6 million after two frames.

Imported releases mostly struggled in China this weekend. Lulu Wang's breakthrough family drama The Farewell landed with a resounding thud, earning only $290,000. That's about as much as the film has earned in Italy, a country with an annual box office just 6 percent the size of China's.

The Farewell's China release has generated curiosity in the industry because of its many Chinese cultural connections.

The film was shot on location in Changchun, China, and most of the dialog is in Mandarin. Based on Wang's own experiences, it tells the story of a young Chinese American woman (played by Awkwafina, who won a Golden Globe for the role) who travels to the Chinese mainland to visit her grandmother after a family decision not to tell the matriarch that she has been diagnosed with cancer.

It also is an official U.S.-China co-production between Los Angeles-based Kindred Spirit and Beijing film company Ray Productions. Produced for $3 million, it sold to A24 for $7 million after earning rave reviews at Sundance. To date, The Farewell has earned $17.6 million in the U.S. and another $2 million internationally. Beijing-based ticketing giant Maoyan Entertainment handled the China release.

But Wang herself understood that the movie's positive reception and Chinese themes wouldn't automatically translate into a bonanza at China's box office. "We've gotten a really tremendous response so far," she told Variety on the red carpet at the Golden Globes last week. "But they’ll also see it’s not really a fully Chinese movie, and I’m really interested to see how they respond to that," she added.

Crazy Rich Asians, a $238 million-earning milestone of Asian American moviemaking, faced similar challenges in China, with many local viewers and online reviewers complaining that the film offered a very American — and at times cartoonish — perspective on Chinese culture. It ended up earning just $1.65 million in the country.

"I do think [The Farewell] is a little bit more Chinese than Crazy Rich Asians, but it's still told through the perspective of an American woman," Wang cautioned at the Globes.

Clint Eastwood's Richard Jewell, opening on China's indie distribution circuit, the National Alliance of Arthouse Cinemas, flopped even harder than The Farewell, bringing in just $220,000. Online reviews for the film were positive, but it failed to reach more than a sliver of the audience.

Shark attack horror sequel 47 Meters Down: Uncaged fared modestly better, debuting to $3.5 million. Produced by L.A.-based Entertainment Studios, the flick has a solid shot at matching the $5.8 million earned in 2017 by its predecessor, 47 Meters Down.

Japanese anime Violet Evergarden received high online ratings and opened in fifth place with $3.4 million. The fantasy anime is the most recent theatrical release from Kyoto Animation, the beloved Japanese animation company hit by a deadly arson attack last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Some (or much) of it hit a bit too close to home, as I lost my mother last month after being her primary caregiver for years.
    I feel ya, Jimbo. My mom and I were caretakers for my dad for a decade after his stroke and now I'm a caretaker for my mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Tze Ma has been a familiar face at least since the ‘90s, almost always playing a young girl’s or woman’s Chinese dad, or the Chinese scientist. I don’t know if he’s on the rise, or just doing what he’s always been doing, though in The Farewell he played an important role, unlike most of his roles I’ve seen him in.
    Yep. He's a veteran character actor and has always delivered for years. He was also in Wu Assassins recently. My call on Ma is somewhat based on this and his upcoming role as Mulan's dad. I think Hollywood is going to start really taking notice of him.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Called it.

I feel ya, Jimbo. My mom and I were caretakers for my dad for a decade after his stroke and now I'm a caretaker for my mom.
    Bless you, Gene. My mom and I had also caregiven for my dad, who passed away back in 2000. Caregiving can be a tough responsibility, but I’m glad I was able to be there for her.

I’m not surprised at all that the movie flopped in the PRC. And any other American films from an Asian-American (not only Chinese) perspective are going to flop there, too. I strongly believe that in PRC in particular, they want their American movies starring white (and to a lesser degree, black) people. IMO, in the PRC (and probably other East Asian countries, too), an Asian-American perspective is probably incomprehensible, or something they just can’t get into. It probably also didn’t help that in the movie, Awkwafina did not have the typical white American boyfriend/husband, which I give full credit to the filmmakers for sticking to their guns and not caving in to include.

Tzi Ma speaks

Luv this guy.

JANUARY 17, 2020 12:34PM PT
    Hollywood’s Go-To Asian Dad Tzi Ma Dishes on ‘Mulan’ and Oscar Snub for ‘The Farewell’
    By REBECCA DAVIS

CREDIT: KATE SZATMARI

One person who was not surprised that “The Farewell” bid goodbye to any chance of an Oscar earlier this week was actor Tzi Ma, who played Awkwafina’s father in the film.

“I didn’t expect it. There were exactly zero dollars promoting the film in any way,” Ma tells Variety. “Awards are a beauty pageant. People campaign for it. The fact that we made such an audience impact is what made it so important – the recognition that we don’t have to campaign for.”

Yet while the Golden Globe-winning title was hailed as a triumph of Asian American storytelling in the U.S., it has performed disastrously in China, earning less than $1 million despite being shot by a China-born director with a predominantly Chinese cast. Its poor performance raises the question of how Chinese audiences will respond to the “Chinese-ness” of Disney’s “Mulan,” helmed by Kiwi director Niki Caro.

Ma plays the patriarch in “Mulan,” which opens March 27, and will again take on the Asian dad role alongside Joan Chen in Alan Yang’s “Tigertail” for Netflix, forthcoming in April.

With no fear of being typecast, he jokes that he has “already done so many different things – this is just the fun part. My list of screen daughters is powerful. I put that team on a field and we’ll win every game.”

But it remains to be seen whether Chinese actress Liu Yifei’s Mulan will be powerful enough to carry her highly anticipated blockbuster to new heights.

Ma says that whatever its outcome in the world’s second largest film market, the movie’s very existence as a blockbuster of this scale is itself “a statement.”

“It’s rare and unheard of for Disney to (put) down this kind of money for an entirely Asian cast. ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ at $30 million, no problem. But $300 million? I don’t think so.” he said. “I’m proud of this film because the powers that be gave us a lot of money to make it happen.”

He addressed some of the concerns that have arisen around accuracy and representation in “Mulan,” including the complaint that Caro is not Asian or Chinese.

“It’s really unfair – you need to see the work first before you complain about someone you know very little about,” he says. “I just hope that people will at least give the film a chance and judge it on its merits instead of all these biases.”

He himself didn’t know what to expect from Caro or the production at first, as he still hadn’t seen a script even while in talks for the part. “All the studios are doing that now, keeping everything so under wraps. It drives me crazy. This is not Pulitzer Prize-winning writing here,” he jokes.

But Caro ultimately won his confidence with the sensitivity and attention she brought to the film’s female roles, and her mostly female creative team’s attention to historical, period detail.

Yet despite such research, some of the first reactions in China to the “Mulan” trailer were of dismayed befuddlement over historical inaccuracies. This Mulan lives in a traditional “tulou” roundhouse – a visually striking structure, to be sure, but one that didn’t exist until a thousand years after the story is set, and is found only in southern, coastal Fujian province amongst the Hakka people, rather than the hero’s native north.

Ma says such choices were all in service of making the visuals pop. “I hope they can forgive us for that, because the look of it is just so gorgeous. I hope people take it in the spirit of art, rather than nitpick and complain about this or that.”

Although they picked up some second unit shots, the crew didn’t end up actually shooting in China, despite trying for a year to make it happen.

Other viewers have questioned why the “Mulan” characters speak in a Chinglish-like accent. Ma calls it “a slight intonation that hopefully gives the feel of period speech as opposed to accented speech,” explaining that it was a very deliberate decision made in order to make it seem as though the American and non-native English speaking Chinese cast all came from the same time and place.

“You’ve got to find some cohesiveness about this group of people. And it’s a period piece – we don’t want to take you out of the reality of the past,” he says.

Superstar Liu, who is perhaps more revered by mainland Chinese audiences for the classical shape of her face and features than for her acting skills, has in the past been dubbed “box office poison” by her snarkier local critics. But in Ma’s eyes, “she’s the real deal.”

Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters called for a boycott of “Mulan” after Liu posted messages to her social media platforms repeating Communist Party propaganda in support of the local police force there who have been internationally criticized for brutal tactics.

Hong Kong-born Ma doesn’t take a stance himself, but condemns the violence that has occurred on both sides. “Just because I was born in Hong Kong doesn’t mean I know Hong Kong,” he says. “What’s the end game here?”

He also pooh-poohed the monetary might of the boycott itself. “I don’t think it’s going to be impactful,” he says. “Really, what’s Hong Kong going to do? They’re going to ask who to boycott? How many people are going to sympathize with your cause?”

Meanwhile, the very personal film “Tigertail” will showcase a different kind of Asian story at a more intimate scale. Written and directed by “Master of None” co-creater Yang, it spans the 1950s to the present day to tell the story of his father’s decision to leave Taiwan and come to America.

Much of it is in Taiwanese, with the Taiwan-set parts shot on film in Yang’s actual hometown, and New York scenes shot in digital.

“It shows us a side of Alan I didn’t think he had,” Ma says.

In the film, the father character enters an arranged marriage that gives him the opportunity to come to America as a young man, leaving behind his life and a woman he actually loved in Taiwan. Years later, divorced and ready to retire, he returns with his daughter to try and reconnect with his past.

Ma is thrilled to see more Asian American stories getting their time to shine. “Why is it that when we come out we have to hit a ****ing home run every time? Everyone else is afforded the time to grow, to fail and then survive,” he says.

“There are still too few stories about us. Quantity matters. We need the numbers so that all our people’s hopes and dreams aren’t just pinned on one thing.”
    THREADS
    The Farewell
    Mulan
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips