Thread: 15th World Wushu Championships - October 20th to 23rd, 2019 Shanghai

15th World Wushu Championships - October 20th to 23rd, 2019 Shanghai

The 15th World Wushu Championships 2019 will be held in the Minhang Indoor Stadium. Situated in Minhang Sports Park in Qibao town, the stadium consists of the main hall,training hall, and supporting facilities, covering an area of 50, 310 square meters. It is a modern medium-sized stadium equipped with various functional rooms for press conferences, VIPs, first-aid, and doping control, making it an ideal venue for big sporting events, as well as opening and closing ceremonies.

Jammu Kashmir
    Posted at: Sep 11, 2019, 6:57 AM; last updated: Sep 11, 2019, 6:57 AM (IST)
    Dope shadow over J&K players’ participation in int’l wushu meet
    Vikas Sharma
    Tribune News Service
    Jammu, September 10

With just a little over a month to go for the 15th World Wushu Championship 2019, uncertainty looms over the participation of two international medallists from J&K in the national team after they were tested positive in a dope test. The sporting event will be held from October 20-23 in Shanghai, China.

Sources said after 2018 Asian Games bronze medallist Surya Bhanu Pratap was tested positive by anti-doping agency of the international federation, another ace player Rajinder Singh too had been tested positive recently.

The WAI, which has already taken up the case of Surya Bhanu Pratap with the International Wushu Federation (IWUF), is doing the same for Rajinder Singh, who had clinched bronze medal in 2017 Wushu World Cup held at Kazan in Russia.
    Earlier, there were rumours doing the round that both Surya Bhanu Pratap and Rajinder Singh were served with a four-year ban by the international federation, but the national body rejected it saying that the fate of both players would be decided in the crucial meeting slated to be held in China before the commencement of the World Cup.

Suhel Ahmed, general secretary, Wushu Association of India (WAI), told The Tribune, “There is no truth as far as the ban is concerned. We are in touch with the international federation. The players too have submitted their reply to the federation in their defense”.

“Surya Bhanu Pratap has mentioned the prescription of the doctor in his reply to the committee of anti-doping agency. The term of the ban period is between one and four years depending upon the seriousness of the case,” he added.

When asked about the possibility of ban on players of J&K, the WAI general secretary replied, “It is for the committee to decide. If it does not find the case serious, the ban will be minimum. And if the committee finds it serious, the ban term is maximum for four years”.

Uncertainty looms

Uncertainty looms over the participation of two international medallists from J&K in the national team after they were tested positive in a dope test. The sporting event will be held from October 20-23 in Shanghai, China.
    Sources said after 2018 Asian Games bronze medallist Surya Bhanu Pratap was tested positive by anti-doping agency of the international federation, another ace player Rajinder Singh too had been tested positive recently.
    For the record:
    14 WWC
    13 WWC
    12 WWC
    11 WWC
    10 WWC
    8 WWG
    6 WWG
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

HD 15th World Wushu Championships Shanghai 2019 promo 1

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

HD 15th World Wushu Championships Shanghai 2019 promo 2

These promos are pretty badass.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Some coverage

Posted at: Oct 29, 2019, 7:52 AM; last updated: Oct 29, 2019, 7:52 AM (IST)
    Friends then made fun of wushu, parents now enquiring about it: Praveen

Praveen last week won the gold medal in the World Championship in China. file
    New Delhi, October 28

Taking up a sport that was at first ridiculed by his friends, Praveen’s historic gold at the recent World Championship ended up bringing parents and kids closer to wushu.

Going off to sleep every night “with thoughts of winning only the gold” has paid off handsomely, for the feat in Shanghai last week is as much a recognition for the sport as it for the Haryana athlete.

“My parents were unaware of the sport and friends would make fun of the name wushu. I would show them the fight videos and they started finding it interesting. Fight dekhke bolte the ye to bahut accha game hai (after watching the fights, they would say it is a very good game),” said the 22-year-old from Kalanaur in Rohtak district.

“I set up my mind then that I have to do well in the Asian and the World meets,” said the first Indian man to win a World Championship gold.

Since winning the gold, Praveen said he had been flooded by calls from parents enquiring about the sport. “I am now getting a lot of calls from youngsters and parents, where to start their training. Pramod Kataria, my senior, has opened his own academy in Haryana, while there are academies in Delhi as well,” he revealed.

“My suggestion is start with a mixed regime with focus on punches and throws. As for me, my favourite technique is throwing with a single leg takedown as well as the right thigh kick,” he added.

Serving in the Indian Army, Praveen achieved the feat in the 48kg sanda category, defeating Philippines’ Russel Diaz 2-1 in the final.

“My Army coaches and mentors kept motivating me, telling me constantly ‘tu yeh kar sakta hai (you can do it)’.” “Every night, as I lay in bed, even I thought that I can probably do it. I started working hard and during the camp two months back, I made up my mind, ‘agar medal laana hai toh gold leke hi aana hai (if I have to bring home a medal it has to be gold)’,” he added.

The 2016 Asian Championship silver medallist was inspired to take up the Chinese martial art in 2011-12 after watching a state-level tournament at a university in Rohtak.

Wushu sanda is a martial art which combines full-contact kickboxing, including close range punches and kicks, with wrestling, takedowns, throws, sweeps and kick catches.

“It had kicks, punches, throws and that intrigued me. I approached Pramod Kataria, who was working in the CRPF then, to help me practice the sport,” Praveen recalled.

The 22-year-old won a silver medal in the Junior Nationals in 2014 and followed it up by clinching the title at the senior level a year later. — PTI
    There's several news pieces on Praveen. He's a national hero for this win.

Iran and Vietnam claim sanda wins at World Wushu Championships
    By Daniel Etchells Tuesday, 22 October 2019

More medals were won today at the World Wushu Championships in Shanghai ©IWUF Official

Iran's Elaheh and Vietnam's Nguyen Thi Chinh were the two sanda gold medallists on day three of the World Wushu Championships in Shanghai.

Elaheh beat Turkey's Ece Cakir 2-0 in the women's 65 kilograms final at the Chinese city's Minhang Indoor Stadium.

Nguyen triumphed by the same scoreline over Egypt's Yasmin Ewida in the women's 48kg title contest.

There was also success for Iran in TaoLu competition, with Mohammad Ali Mojiri Foroushani topping the men's nandao standings on 9.633 points.

China increased their gold medal tally to eight, four clear of second-placed Iran, thanks to wins for Liang Bi Ying in the women's taijiquan with 9.720 points and Guo Meng Jiao in the women's changquan with 9.696.

There were also victories for South Korea's Cho Seungjae in the men's shuangdao with 9.580 points, Indonesia's Edgar Xavier Marvelo in the men's gunshu with 9.656, Hong Kong's Liu Xuxu in the women's gunshu with 9.610, and Malaysia's Tan Cheong Min in the women's nandao with 9.610.
    Manipur wushu player Sanathoi Devi Yunman bags silver in China
    The Arjuna Awardee bagged a medal in the women’s 52 kg category after losing the finals against Yueyao Li at the 15th World Wushu Championships in Shanghai
    Team EastMojo
    23 Oct, 2019 at 03:48 AM

Guwahati: Sanathoi Devi Yunman on Wednesday won a silver medal at the 15th World Wushu Championships in Shanghai.

The Manipuri wushu player won a silver in the women's 52 kg category after losing the final against Yueyao Li.

The Sports Authority of India took to Twitter to congratulate her. It said, "Congratulations #SanathoiDeviYunman wins silver in the Women's 52KG #Wushu category at the 15th #WorldWushuChampionships in Shanghai."

SAIMedia

@Media_SAI
    Congratulations #SanathoiDeviYunman wins silver in the Women's 52KG #Wushu category at The 15th #WorldWushuChampionships in Shanghai.#KheloIndia @KirenRijiju @RijijuOffice @dgsai @IndiaSports @wushuindia_in @ddsportschannel @PIB_India @PMOIndia

12:56 AM - Oct 23, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    32 people are talking about this
    Sanathoi Devi Yunman
    An Arjuna Awardee, this is Devi's fourth world championship medal. She won a bronze medal at the Incheon Asian Games 2014.

She also won three consecutive silver medals at the world championships, which were held in Turkey 2011, Malaysia 2013 and Jakarta 2015. She missed out on a medal at the 2010 Guangzhou Asian Games.

Meanwhile, Praveen Kumar became the first Indian man to win a Wushu World Championships gold, beating Philippines' Russel Diaz in the 48 kg category.

Wushu is a Chinese martial art that combines full-contact kickboxing, including close-range punches and kicks, with wrestling, takedowns, throws, sweeps and kick catches.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2019

From weight-loss plan to first ever Hong Kong wushu world championships sanda medallist
    How combat sports on leitai helped Nana Tsang regain confidence in life
    The 38-year-old veteran still has fire in her belly and considers 2022 Asian Games next target
    Chan Kin-wa
    Published: 8:00am, 9 Nov, 2019

Muay Thai boxer Nana Tsang Hoi-lan. Photos: Xiaomei Chen

Nana Tsang Hoi-lan was often called “a crab with soft limbs” in her younger days, a time when she had little or no desire to do any physical exercise, even though her siblings were active in sport.
    As she grew up, her body expanded to the extent that, at just 1.66 metres tall and weighing 64 kgs, she was inevitably teased by her work colleagues.
    “I sometimes fell down on the street when walking during my younger days,” said Tsang, now 38. “At that time, I thought I was simply weak and lacked body coordination, but now I know it was because I had lacked proper physical exercise.”
    Working as a clerk in a sedentary office job up until her mid- to late-20s only exacerbated her weakness. “I finally thought enough was enough and started picking up sports, hoping it could make me healthier and at least look better. Since my sister, who is married to a Muay Thai fighter, does combat sports, I decided to follow her.”

Kin-wa Chan
    @Kinwachan1024
    Nana Tsang, Hong Kong’s first sanda medallist at Wushu World Championships!

Embedded video
    7:27 PM - Nov 6, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    See Kin-wa Chan's other Tweets
    She started Thai boxing over a decade ago but did not have her first competitive bout until 2010, in shoot boxing, a popular Japanese combat discipline. She slowly gathered momentum in a variety of combat sports until last month in Shanghai, when she lifted a wushu world championships silver medal in the women’s sanda under-60kg category, the first ever sanda medal for Hong Kong.

Sanda is one of two streams in wushu, a modern unarmed combat sport developed from traditional wushu techniques, primarily making use of punching, kicking, throwing, wrestling and defensive techniques. It is also contested in major multi-sport events such as the Southeast Asian Games and the Asian Games.

Muay Thai boxer Nana Tsang Hoi-lan.

“Hong Kong have been doing very well in taolu the other stream of wushu, and have produced many world champions over the years, but this is the first time we came back with a sanda medal,” said Tsang who cherishes the moments when she won two bouts in Shanghai to reach the final, where she lost to the champion, mainlander Qi Yumei.
    “The team was already thrilled when I beat an Austrian athlete in the first round to move to the medal match. It’s the result they have been looking for over many years, not only a strong boost for my own career but also for a minor discipline that needs to attract more young athletes to take up the baton.”

It is the second time Tsang has competed at the world championships. She was at the 2015 worlds in Indonesia, but was stopped in the first round.
    While many people consider combat sports very dangerous and crude and therefore not suitable for females, Tsang does not agree.
    “Any sport has potential danger, but if you follow the rules, you have less chance of exposure to danger,” she said. “Combat sports are exciting for obvious reasons, and, in sanda, we can win by a knockout, but more often we win by scoring points through hitting the legitimate parts of your opponents, such as head, trunk [including chest, abdomen, waist and back], and the legs. You don’t have to beat your opponent to death. After all, we have to wear protective gear, such as head guard, chest protector, gloves and mouth guard during a match.
    “You may get some nasty bruises if you are hit, and your face will look terrible because you sweat a lot during competition.”

Tsang lacked self confidence when she was young, but that changed after she picked up combat sports, especially when she walks on to the leitai, an elevated platform where bouts take place.
    “I enjoy the moments of being on the leitai, where the spotlight is all on you,” said Tsang. “I have spent a lot of effort over the years to overcome challenges. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but it gives me the courage to deal with them.
    “Even if you lose in the end, you still win something. You can have a fitter body and a better mental outlook. You gain a lot of experience dealing with different people, both on and off the leitai.
    “Of course, you can also learn this through practising other sports, but combat sports are exciting and not as boring as running on the track or swimming in the pool. You can enjoy great satisfaction when you evade the attack of your opponents and fight back with a successful hit.”
    With her silver medal from Shanghai, Tsang will soon be eligible for elite training grant support awarded by the Sports Institute, which should keep her focused and provide her with a full-time career.

“We have been on our own for a long time because we didn’t achieve the required benchmark,” she said. “I have to work as a coach in different combat sports to support my athletics career, but this is going to change. Support from the Sports Institute means more than just financial backing. Sports science and sports medicine services also available, and this is important especially when we get injured. I am so happy the hard work over these years is paying off.”
    Tsang will now focus on next year’s World Cup in Australia, with the 2022 Asian Games in Hangzhou possibly her final target. “Yes, I will be 40 by then, but if there is no age limit in sanda set by the organisers, I definitely want to start in Hangzhou to strive for more honours for Hong Kong,” she said. “I still feel the energy and have the spirit to fight on the leitai for a couple more years.”

Nana Tsang’s major achievements
    2016 – 6th TAFISA Games silver medal (Muay Thai)
    2016 – World Cup Sanda bronze medal
    2015 – IFMA Royal World Cup bronze medal
    2014-15 – Hong Kong Muay Thai champion
    2013-16 – Hong Kong Wushu champions (Sanshou)
    2010-13 – Hong Kong Energy Fight champion

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: From shedding weight to a milestone for HK in wushu
    THREADS
    Sanda in Hong Kong
    15th World Wushu Championships
    Muay Thai
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our freshest exclusive web article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our freshest exclusive web article - part deux

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Atef gold withdrawn

Kung Fu Egyptian team – File Photo/Superkora
    Kung Fu Egyptian team – File Photo/Superkora

Egyptian wushu federation clarifies its stand after gold medal withdrawal from player
    By: Egypt Today Tue, Dec. 17, 2019

CAIRO - 17 December 2019: The Egyptian wushu kung fu Federation said that it would move on all axes to find a solution for the decision issued by the game's international federation to withdraw the gold medal from Egyptian player Mahmoud Atef.

The International Wushu Federation (IWUF) decided to withdraw the gold medal from the Egyptian player after being subjected to doping tests.

In a statement, the Egyptian federation said it received the notification of the positive sample on December 10, five days after the date of the IWUF's interim decision.

Mahmoud Atef had claimed the 2019 World Wushu Championships title.
    Wonder what he tested positive for exactly...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips