Thread: Traditional stylists in MMA

Threaded View

Traditional stylists in MMA

I wasn't really sure what to title this since something like SanDa isn't considered traditional, but it's Kung Fu. Karate is traditional but is not Kung Fu. Catch my drift? Good.

This is an attempt to name names in the big time organizations (UFC, ONE, Bellator, and Rizin) and point to individuals that practice our super cool old ways (or similar ). This list isn't exhaustive since it's based on my own knowledge or the knowledge imparted unto me by helpful commenters. I thought this would be a useful list since it's always a topic of interest here.

EDIT: if you'd like to contribute, please give me the fighter's name, what organization they fight with, and a link to their wikipedia page. If they don't have a wiki, then I'll need to know more about them (background, belts, etc.)

UFC

• Zhang Weili - women's strawweight champion. She has a Sanda background and is said to have experience with Shuai Jiao as well
    • Zabit Magomedsharipov - top 5 ranked fighter in the men's featherweight division. Zabit holds a Master of Sport rank in Sanda and is a 6x Sanda champion
    • Tony Ferguson - a top 5 ranked fighter in the men's lightweight division. He has an eclectic style that is uniquely his own. He's cross trained in Wing Chun and Shaolin Long Fist and there are videos of him training with a Wing Chun dummy. He's known for his very high level grappling, having a black belt in 10th Planet Jiujitsu, but popular fight analyst Robin Black has said that when he watches Tony fight, he sees Long Fist.
    • Rose Namajunas - the former women's strawweight champion. She holds black belts in TKD and Karate
    • Robert Whittaker - the former men's middleweight champion. He holds black belts in Goju-ryu karate and Hapkido
    • Yair Rodriguez - top 10 fighter in the men's featherweight division. He has a black belt in TKD and is known for utilizing many kicks in his fights.
    • Chan Sung Jung - top 10 fighter in the men's featherweight division. Often called "The Korean Zombie" by fans (based on his ring name), he holds black belts in TKD, Hapkido, and Judo
    • Ji Yeon Kim - unranked women's flyweight fighter. She has a background in Sanda and Hapkido
    • Song Yadong - a top 15 fighter in the men's bantamweight division with a background in Sanda
    • Mizuki Inoue - an unranked fighter in the women's strawweight division. She has a background in Karate
    • Georges St-Pierre - now retired, he is the former men's welterweight and middleweight champion. He holds black belts in Kyokushin and Shidokan karate and is pretty universally considered to be the greatest fighter in the history of the UFC
    • Anderson Silva - a legendary fighter and former champion of the men's middleweight division. He holds the record for the most consecutive wins (16), has a black belt in TKD, and his wiki says he's studied Wing Chun as well
    • Anthony Pettis - a top 15 fighter in the men's lightweight and middleweight division who is a former lightweight division champion. He has a blackbelt in TKD
    • Kevin Holland - an unranked fighter in the men's middleweight division. His wiki says he has a black belt in kung fu
    • Muslim Salikhov - an unranked fighter in the men's welterweight division. He is nicknamed "the King of Kung fu" and has won multiple sanda gold medals
    • Li Jingliang - an unranked fighter in the men's welterweight division with a background in sanda and shuai jiao
    • Shamil Abdurakhimov - a top 10 fighter in the men's heavyweight division with a sanda background
    • Michelle Waterson - nicknamed "The Karate Hottie" is a top 10 fighter in the women's strawweight division. She has a black belt in American Freestyle Karate and has some training in Wushu
    • Stephen Thompson - a top 10 fighter in the men's welterweight division. He holds a 6th degree black belt in Tetsushin-ryu Kempo

Bellator

• Lyoto Machida - Former top UFC that now fights in Bellator. He holds a black belt in Shotokan karate
    • Roy Nelson - a former UFC fighter. He has a black sash in Ng Ga Kuen

Rizin

• Tenshin Nasukawa - a presently undefeated fighter competing in both kickboxing and recently MMA. He holds black belts in Kyokushin and Shin karate and is considered a young prodigy of a fighter

ONE FC

• Eduard Folyang - a former lightweight champion in the men's division who has a background in Sanda
    • Kevin Belingon - a former men's bantamweight champion with a background in sanda
    Last edited by Kymus; 11-09-2019 at 08:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.