Thread: Shaolin Ireland

Ireland is still part of the UK, right?

It's not just Great Britain...

Get a kick from spa session with Shaolin monks
    Emma Jane Hade
    Published 21/09/2015 | 02:30

Authentic Shaolin Masters Master Zheng and Master Jinlei Wang arrived to Ireland over the weekend from the Henan Province in China for a three month residency at Monart Destination Spa in Wexford where they will showcase of Shaolin Culture. Shaolin Masters served the people of China as warriors and Buddhist Monks for many centuries earning respect for their discipline, bravery, adaptability and action oriented approach

From the Far East to the south east, two Shaolin masters have arrived to take up a three-month residency in an Irish spa.

Masters Zheng and Jinlei Wang travelled from the ancient Shaolin Temple, in the Chinese province of Henan, to share their expertise in meditation with guests at the Monart Spa in Enniscorthy, Co Wexford.

The duo have spent their lives training at the ancient temple and for the next three months they will showcase some of their traditions and their culture in the luxurious retreat.

The masters come from a tradition which was historically famed for serving the people of China as warriors, and the duo will also showcase their martial arts skills.

Irish Independent
    I know exactly what Masters Zheng And Wang are thinking: Best. Gig. Ever.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ireland

I keep thinking I should split this into an independent thread...someday.

Shaolin Staycation: A spa break with a difference at Monart in Enniscorthy
    Stress? What stress?
    Nicola Brady Published 01/11/2015 | 02:30

Shaolin Master classes at Monart Spa

A Shaolin Experience in Enniscorthy makes for a stress-busting staycation with a difference, says Nicola Brady.

Set the mood

I'm mirroring the motions of a Shaolin Master, who is dressed in orange robes and moving slowly and methodically. He has little English; the verbal instruction he gives is mostly limited to "breathe in… breathe out". Oddly though, being told when to breathe is almost as relaxing as the movements themselves.

I'm in a Qi-Gong masterclass, learning the eight ancient exercises of the Shaolin, which promote health and longevity. But I'm far from the Henan Province in China, where Masters train. I'm in the depths of Wexford, at Monart Destination Spa, where a pair have taken up residence to showcase their 2,000-year-old traditions through classes, demonstrations and treatments.

Guilty Pleasure

Dinner in Monart's restaurant is included in the Shaolin Experience package, and it's a decadent affair, far from preconceived notions of spa cuisine.

Rich, intricate dishes utilise the best of Irish produce, including a notable starter of ravioli stuffed with plump Dublin Bay prawns. Classic roast chicken is a dish that can be difficult to impress with, but I enjoyed a flawlessly succulent breast paired with creamy hints of goat's cheese that left me too full for dessert, but the chocolate and passion fruit torte proved tempting, regardless.

The breakfast is just as impressive, with a wide selection of fruits, compotes and pastries. Be sure to save room for the Eggs Benedict, though.

A dessert from Monart Spa's restaurant

Cheap Kick

Classes led by the Shaolin Masters are free for all guests at Monart, and include Qi-Gong, Tai Chi and meditation. There can be up to six a day, all designed to relieve stress, promote strength and release tension. I left each class with a feeling of intense calm, my usual hurried pace reduced to a serene amble. Tai Chi proved a little trickier than Qi-Gong, with our floundering efforts leaving one Master in giggles. But it's worth filling your schedule with as many classes as possible, for maximum benefit.

Top tip

Between classes, make the most of the exemplary spa facilities that Monart is famed for, from the infrared sauna to the salt grotto. Don't bother packing too much, either - the vast majority of guests spend their time in bathrobes, dressing only for dinner.

Insider Intel

Shaolin Warrior Massage was designed by the Shaolin (who served China as warriors and Buddhist monks) to keep the body healthy and strong, ensuring the warriors stayed fighting fit. It's far from a traditional massage - you're fully clothed, and the movements are percussive, fast-paced and strong. It may not be to everyone's liking, but it's one of the best treatments I've ever had.

Glitches

Monart is keen to uphold its reputation as a cocoon free from distractions, but the lack of in-room WiFi is a little grating (it can be found in the old house, however). Tea and coffee facilities should be in the bedrooms at this price point, too.

Get me there

Monart's Shaolin Experience package includes two nights with breakfast, dinner on one evening, full use of the spa facilities, access to all of the classes and a Shaolin Warrior Massage. Prices start from €299pps. The Shaolin Masters are in residence until December 13. The five-star resort is just outside of Enniscorthy, 130km from Dublin. See monart.ie for more. If you want to venture off-campus, take a look at visitwexford.ie for things to do in Wexford.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ireland

I've split Shaolin Ireland into its own indie thread from the Shaolin Temple UK thread. I figure with Brexit and all, which is going to really mess Ireland up, it's time for that split - plus the Ireland posts are their own separate thing really.

Shaolin masters arrive in Monart

Authentic Shaolin Masters Master Zheng and Master Jinlei Wang arrived to Ireland from the Henan Province in China for a three month residency at Monart Destination Spa in Wexford where they will showcase of Shaolin Culture

Brendan Keane
    November 2 2019 12:00 AM

Two Shaolin masters, from the Henan province in China, have arrived in Ireland to take up a three-month residency at Monart Destination Spa which will continue until December 7.

Zen Master Zheng and Master Jinlei Wang, who have trained all of their lives at the Shaolin Temple, will teach and carry out performances of Shaolin life and Chinese Culture at the spa.

Shaolin Masters served the people of China as warriors and Buddhist Monks for many centuries earning respect for their discipline, bravery, adaptability and action oriented approach.

They will give demonstrations and instruction on meditation and movement skills to reduce stress, enhance health, improve breathing, release tension and harmonise the link between body and mind.

A spokesperson for the spa said there will also be optional instruction in T'ai Chi, Kung Fu, Qi-Gong and meditation.

Qi-Gong is a series of eight ancient exercises of the Shaolin which promote health and longevity and Tai Chi is a series of slow movements and transitions from differing positions, ranging from easy to challenging, aimed at promoting strength and release tension.

The Shaolin will also showcase the art of Kung Fu each week during their stay and all classes will be free to residents of the spa.

The masters will also offer Shaolin warrior massage treatments which originated in ancient times to keep muscles and body healthy.

The Shaolin continue this 2,000-year-old tradition and the masters' visit will give people here an opportunity to view a window into China's ancient past.

Commenting on the Shaolin residency Liam Anthony Griffin, Director of the Griffin Group, said everyone at Monart Destination Spa was 'honoured' to welcome the two masters.

'Their culture and ethos is truly unique,' he said.

'They are dedicated to health and wellbeing and to strengthening the mind and body to be prepared for what life brings and we are delighted to learn from them and see them share their 2,000-year-old traditions with all of our guests,' he added.

Their residency will give people rare opportunity to train with and learn from Shaolin masters.

The Shaolin Experience is on offer until December 7, and will give people unrestricted access to all of the Shaolin classes including meditation, Qi-gong and Tai Chi.

The Shaolin Warrior Massage is also available for guests to book, at €120 and further details can be accessed through www.monart.ie.

Wexford People
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Check out Kungfu.life

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I've split Shaolin Ireland into its own indie thread from the Shaolin Temple UK thread. I figure with Brexit and all, which is going to really mess Ireland up, it's time for that split - plus the Ireland posts are their own separate thing really.
    You should check out kungfu.life

Master Yan Xin looks like he'd be a lot of fun to be around. You can tell that he loves Shaolin martial arts.

Here's his YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/masteryanxin/featured