Thread: Iron Fists and Kung Fu Kicks

Iron Fists and Kung Fu Kicks

I have seen this and will review it later...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I came here, just now, to see if there was a thread on this. I'm watching it now. I've always said, and maintain, that BL was more showman than fighter. I don't think this show is going to change my opinion. See my sig for caveats.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Beyond Bruce, what did you think Oso?

I liked it overall. It's such a huge topic, and there's chatter about how it overlooked several major points like Jet Li but given that the documentary makers took on the whole history of Kung Fu cinema in a doc that was less than two hours, there's bound to be some omissions. My first thought was that it totally missed what's happening in PRC now. And it was bit too heavy on the blaxploitation and focus on some obscure film there because the filmmaker was a talking head. Three friends are in it, Matt Polly, Philip Ng and Eric Jacobus. Way too much Ric Meyers. Not enough Phillip, or Sammo, or Scott Adkins, and they missed some good points that they seemed to be leading to about YouTube and India with Eric. The last two bits about Oz and Africa were interesting. I wish they'd credit all of the movies that they included in clips - there were a few scenes that I didn't recognize and thought to myself 'I'd like to see more of that'. It was a bit too big of an undertaking really. But worth viewing if you have Netflix.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I actually didn't finish watching it...my old ass got sleepy.

I will finish, and I like it overall.

I have to say I don't know the filmaker...or, haven't looked him up to know if I know him or not.

re: Blacksploitation. I think that Eddie Murphy's recent film was pretty good. imo, in form of a question: Is Blacksploitation any different than what all Hollywood did/does to all actors? I mean, you go to Hollywood to be a 'star' because you think you have 'it'. And, 'bad' producers will use anyone willing to be used. I'm not so sure gender, or color of skin has much to do with the evil's that lie at the heart of Hollywood.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Scott Adkins?

you mention him, and I see him in the movie and just looked him up on wiki...has done some stuff for sure. Is he more than his internet profile suggests? As in, you mentioned him at all means he might be.

so, live streaming sorta...

the Indonesian film, The Raid...wtf? never heard of it.
    I pretty much stopped watching 'kung fu flicks' when I officially retired myself in 2009.

I will have to check that one out though.

lmao, closing with the creepy Carradine kung fu work out video?

your assessment is correct...too big a topic for just <2 hours.

maybe more views will have them expand upon it? idk

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    so, live streaming sorta...

the Indonesian film, The Raid...wtf? never heard of it.
    I pretty much stopped watching 'kung fu flicks' when I officially retired myself in 2009.

I will have to check that one out though.
    IMO, The Raid, and especially The Raid 2, are the two best martial arts-related films post-2K. They aren’t ‘kung fu’ movies, though, they are action flicks featuring Silat. The lead star, Iko Uwais, was outstanding with director Garett Evans. But now that Iko is transitioning to Hollywood films (or attempting to), I highly doubt that anything he comes out with from now on will ever equal or outdo The Raid movies. Hollywood just doesn’t know what to do with martial arts stars, especially Asian MA stars.

For the most part, the action films coming out of Mainland China aren’t exciting for me, and don’t fill me with anticipation. And HK action cinema has been dead or on life support, and has been for many years. Even the few good movies coming out with Donnie Yen just aren’t as exciting and fun for me like the old school-era KF films. There isn’t the sense of fun nowadays as in the past; the KF movies are all too serious and mostly nationalistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    IMO, The Raid, and especially The Raid 2, are the two best martial arts-related films post-2K. They aren’t ‘kung fu’ movies, though, they are action flicks featuring Silat. The lead star, Iko Uwais, was outstanding with director Garett Evans. But now that Iko is transitioning to Hollywood films (or attempting to), I highly doubt that anything he comes out with from now on will ever equal or outdo The Raid movies. Hollywood just doesn’t know what to do with martial arts stars, especially Asian MA stars.

For the most part, the action films coming out of Mainland China aren’t exciting for me, and don’t fill me with anticipation. And HK action cinema has been dead or on life support, and has been for many years. Even the few good movies coming out with Donnie Yen just aren’t as exciting and fun for me like the old school-era KF films. There isn’t the sense of fun nowadays as in the past; the KF movies are all too serious and mostly nationalistic.
    fwiw, I consider anything that has a fight scene that can even remotely make a call back to HK/Shaw Brothers a 'kung fu flick'.
    but, i hear you.

and, one thing* stands out in this documentary: you can go to a 2nd/3rd world country that doesn't have strong 'worker's rights' laws and subject the employees to some horrendous human rights travesties. all because the few dollars/yen they can make ****ing up there bodies is much greater than they can make picking the vegetable du jour...all in the name of a chance at fame
    Last edited by Oso; 12-18-2019 at 08:25 PM. Reason: *them to 'thing'*

I haven’t had the Chance to watch it yet, but why do these kinds of documentaries on KF movies always have to use photos from the schlockiest, crappiest types of KF films as their main images? That image from Kung Fu Fever with Ron Van Clief and “Bruce Lee clone” Dragon Lee is a perfect example. They use examples from the stupidest KF flicks when there’s so many actual good ones they ignore. No wonder the KF genre is considered garbage cinema by so many people, and things like that only help confirm that image.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-20-2019 at 09:18 AM.