Thread: Children Martial Art Training

Hybrid View

Children Martial Art Training

In recent years, we have MA training for children (as early as 4 y.o.) in my city. The supporters say it is good for children to develop social skill more than to promote their physical health. But I doubt MA training at such an early age will do more good than harm to the student. What is your view then?

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Around here, kiddie martial arts seems to be the main thrust of the majority of MA schools I’ve seen, with the probable exception of the ubiquitous (and dominant) MMA gyms. For most MA schools around here, children’s classes are their bread-and-butter that keeps their doors open. A lot of it is more like a form of day care. It is MUCH different from back in the ‘70s and even the ‘80s.

The biggest problem I see is watering down of the art. Standards are lowered to accommodate children, and I’ve seen child ‘brown and black belts’ with very poor basics and focus. The teachers are afraid of frustrating their students and having them leave if they fail them on tests they shouldn’t be passing in the first place.

That last part also applies to many adult students in many of the schools nowadays, too.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-29-2019 at 12:26 PM.

whats popular here is like Jimbo said, more fluff than tuff for kids, so in that light, if your goal as a parent is to give your kid a nice workout and "fellowship" after school or for daycare, that works. It doesnt help the quality of the young martial artist of the future however, by selling black belts or allowing kids to pass tests just for good sport. There should be a division of curriculum between "recreational" students and students of "the discipline" , whatever it may be.
    In relation you can look at it like an art class. Most kids go to splash pant around and make a colorful picture, however, that can also be a place where a kid can begin to take their painting seriously.

my opinion is more slated towards the old African and Chinese ways of rites of passage (types vary depending on where you are) starting in early childhood. there is no politically correct way to do it on those terms. Its brutal to some, yet the method works.

Shaolin starts kids training at 4 for various reasons. One of the main ones is the bodys is supple and shape able at that age. Kung Fu is a long hard journey and if a kid wants a head start, the best way is to stay loose, build that early stabilizing balance and strength that can be easily cultivated in to speed and power and explosive agility as an adolescence and mastery as a man. Any of you can probably testify to the difficulty of flexibility as an adult, ESPECIALLY if you didn't cultivate it in early life and maintain it.
    Another reason is discipline. The honest truth is, a kid who went thru vigorous training early will be better tempered emotionally and mentally, and also develop the ability to start something, be patient and work at it, and attain efficiency. These are priceless qualities for a kid to have going into teen years.

like the RZA says "WU TANG IS FOR THE BABIES!!" lol and I echo that. teach them the ways early, and save them the trouble later, from the physical discipline to the meditation, and even philosophy of martial arts to the best of their comprehension.

There are obviously wrong and right ways to teach a child martial arts, so I'll spare listing them. in general however, I think between the ages of 4 to 7 are the best times to start seeding youth with good, pro active habits that cultivate vital qualities like patience, focus, esteem, understanding, poise and discipline. Martial Arts covers all of that.
    Shaolin does it best in my opinion, and always has the troops to show and prove the work!
    Name:  young-shaolin-monk-in-china.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  18.5 KB

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

examples

in this video, near the start, theres a small segment focused on an Shaolin disciples training as a child: Training Kids

some of this is frowned upon in the west.
    I suppose I'm radical because I actually wish I had it this tuff at that age.

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Thanks gentlemen for your good input. It is sad to hear that MA training is being taught as recreation. But I am against brutal training to people of all ages.

What is the earliest age to start MA training? 8 y.o. would be the ideal age. The fellow has good control of his motor movement, and should be intelligent enough to start learning martial art. A 4 y.o. is just one year or so after he can walk properly. Too early to start MA training.

Regards

KC
    Hong Kong

The methods used to train children in Martial arts in Asia is beyond the understanding of us here in the lands of softness.
    My only issue with kids in martial arts is the sparring aspect.
    Wrestling? Sure. Boxing? Are you kidding me?
    It's as if there is this idea that kids are immune to CTE (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy) Brain damage.
    They aren't and head strikes to kids is a terrible idea period.

Forms, manners, discipline, sitting still, learning to not fidget....

Milk to babies, meat to the strong.
    Kung Fu is good for you.