Thread: Sharing, Knowing, and the Paradox of Styles

Threaded View

Sharing, Knowing, and the Paradox of Styles

being that "kung fu", as an art, is based on styles, and the "styles" are defined by region and lineage, why is there so much division in kung fu and rejection of the roots?
    I bring this up because of the North vs South kung fu debates, the Wu Dang vs Shaolin , internal v external, and old vs modern debates that have been going on around. for me, its been Wing Chun, North/South Shaolin, Baji Quan, Choy Lay Fut, Hung Gar and even non CMA that have roots in China.

When I started training, everything looked so different and hard to discern, then as I progressed within my ccurriculum, I was able to see relativity throughout every aspect of oouur particular "style". Soon, I started to see similarity in most martial arts. Once I got out of my school and got to train with other arts and spar with students, I saw so much in common, I lost sense of division in empty hand combat, while still remaining rooted in the foundation 'style' I was taught.

Why is this so hard for people to do? Stop bashing, orr trying to down talk peoples schools or legacy to 1 up your style, or your self. I thought traditionally that was dishonorable, so is this a new trend? or a western thing? People are doing this now, without a challenge. I'm not the oldest tree in the forest, however, I remember correctly, when you say "hey your style is trash, and your lineage is from hollywood" that statement has to come with "I'll prove it, let me fight your best representative."

there should be no petty arguments about style, and if you are really into the arts, there should be an embrace of all who you encounter, and also a willingness to share and learn. Am I missing something? Why is such an argument against kung fu?
    and within the kung fu world, why do some schools not want to link their lineage to its root?
    lets talk about it,

Amituofo
    Last edited by Djuan; 01-16-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator