Thread: Sharing, Knowing, and the Paradox of Styles

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Well, yes, there is this too, although it's not limited to TCMA by any means. It's pervasive in all styles and throughout sports, which is one reason that MMA has increased the level of smack talk. However, I'll point out that I did not qualify how martial artists might fight. Obviously they can spar, even in full contact in a cage now. Flaming on the interwebz is a form of fighting too. It's just not a very good form.

ok is it safe to say mike jai white is pure trollin then? lol (he still doesnt get a pass)
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Ah...Back to MJW...

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    ok is it safe to say mike jai white is pure trollin then?
    Absolutely. He's purposely saying something controversial in order to get a rise out of other netizens. The question remains the same as with any given troll - Does he really believe what he says or is he just fishing for attention like trolling with a baited line behind the boat? Either way, he's picking a fight to get attention. Whether some Shaoliner takes him to task is another matter entirely, but it's still a form of fighting, albeit a lame form. But such is the way of the world nowadays, right?

FYI here's that MJW post (for posterity - I'm sure our regulars know about this now but years from now, if someone ttts this, it's good to have a reference.)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I actually feel that MJW believes what he said in that video. He's simply ignorant about a lot of things, but thinks he knows everything about martial arts, Bruce Lee, etc. Neither MJW nor his comments came across as "clever" enough to be trolling.

And yes, non-TCMA MAists engage in style and individual bashing, too. But having spent a lot of time in JMA, KMA, and 'American modern' MA (Kenpo, American kickboxing, etc.) before ever studying any TCMA, I can say that, in my experience, I've seen a greater prevalence of the passive-aggressive type of bashing among TCMAists than MAists from other categories. And I don't get why it has to be that way. I have a few theories as to why. Perhaps more lineage snobbery.

My CLF sifu is one of the MAists I've known who never seemed to engage in such behavior.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-17-2020 at 12:42 PM.

A good fellow will not go into bashing for protecting his ego. That said it all.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong