Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dream, sleep meditation

this is my first post in this kungfumag forum...

this particular forum topic is fascinating. after reading several of the dream logs, i've decided to share this one that i've harbored for a long time now which also happened to have scared the living daylights out of me for several days after dreaming it last year. i wrote it out after waking up. it scared me so much that i was unable to sleep for about a month. i also thought i was going insane because after i read what i had written several hours later, i thought that i sounded like i was high on some kind of narcotic. i've had many dreams of similar content or of similar category (i just call them bizarre and most of my dreams that i remember make me think i'm going crazy).

i would appreciate any feedback because i often have dreams that are just saturated in symbolism and, usually, their "plots" are unbelievably fantastic...sometimes a bit too fantastic for my taste.

without further ado, my dream in its unexpurgated form in writing:

i had a dream. my eyes still close from grogginess. i don't think i am fully awake yet. i just thought that i should try to wake up a bit. i don't think i should go back to my room...by myself nor go to sleep soon. i had a nightmare. i dreamt that i had finished my manuscript but did not bear the title i had chosen for it. it was... debt witheld or some such thing. it jumps...stacks and stacks of these manuscpripts and bond paper that bore the title, such powerful title that a guy that i know, one of my peers at school who is filipino (that i feel has issues with his notions of identity) asked me where did i get such a title and commented that he read my piece and that it showed such great potential and all this in this blackened, deserted building, in all this debris and deserted blackened building. in that dream, i had lived in the third floor but sometimes, it shifted to the second floor that you had to climb up to in a spiral staicase that left a gap in the middle and you could see all levels. all doors in this burnt apartment had keys. there were only two or three levels. i was at the top. i had lost my key made of this strange material and it looked like a small switchblade and its purpose was to cut the lock and i had lost my key because i put it in my mouth and spat it out into the middle of the staircase after opening my door and i became afraid. i spat the key out. i looked down from where i was and saw all the debris down there. it gaped at me. it scared me. i went into my apartment and looked at my laptop computer that houses my manuscript and knew that this was the most important thing in the world and that it was the only copy. suddenly, i had my neigbors come in. i guess we shared the apartment since these girls were making themselves comfortable. some of them smoked and i remember fear enveloping me as i tried to keep calm and not worry about the manuscript in that laptop. i was smoking damp shrivelled up cigarettes that no one would take a puff from because they looked repulsive. i could not stop myself from smoking but my chest hurt from smoking. the pain made the fear go away and i needed it to keep calm and i knew all this. then i heard a commotion outside. i was the only one who seemed to hear it. i saw orange dust at first then peeked out through the window, staring into the night and saw a great smoke outside with people who seemed to be there and not there, running. upon closer look, i realized that it was in our building that this malign fire was burning. there was a force so great, so malign that it was burning and it was coming and its coming was inevitable and i knew all this in an instant and i was the only one to realize this. i screamed fire and the girls panicked and began running down to get out. i would not leave without my laptop thinking that this was the most important thing in the world. i took it, wires and all, and put it in a strange looking backpack even though the girls were telling me to leave it. i would not part with it. as we scrambled down the stairs, we all knew that it was more than just a fire, it was a force so malign that i grew afraid even though at this time, i knew that i was in a dream. this "fire" wanted to consume my laptop that housed my manuscript. there is something in the laptop that was too powerful that this adverse phantasm wanted it destroyed. i knew and i ran and i saw men eyeing my backpack and i knew that they wanted to steal it as if they knew what was within it. i clutched it tighter and ran into the night, clutched it tighter to the night and then clutched it til waking. i woke with my chest hurting and pounding and my legs felt stiff and hurt. (my chest still hurts a bit.) i felt as if there was something...malicious in my room. it had the whiff of malevolence that could slightly be felt but never palpably proven. i have been having these vivid dreams lately where i know that i am dreaming...and i know that it has something to do with my levels of consciousness. i feel as if i have broken some kind of barrier or that i am trying to move on but the move is so fast that i feel that i might die from it. i literally feel this way. there have been many things happening as i write and as i live these past weeeks that i feel that i could achieve enlightenment but it would mean the death of my body which i am not ready for. there is much to do. it seems crazy but i have been having these flashes lately, out of the blue. these flashes are, indeed, frightening. there is so much suffering in this world. i felt as if i saw and felt such great surging suffering and i had a brief glimpse of what it is meant to escape this suffering and it meant physical death of this body that i am not ready for. it can drive one mad. there is still something that binds me to this world and i felt, i felt my whole spirit denying this enlightenment because it would mean my death in a few days because this body will no longer be able to contain the light. this has happened in two instances already while i have been between being awake and being asleep and i feel that i am sometimes aware when i dream because i am in the third level of consciousness...
    i am still groggy...but my eyes are more open.
    i just realized what i have done here. i had to write out what i saw in that dream. it is an important one. for some reason, i feel that i am destined for something great because i would have left if i could but there is still some things left to be done. i feel as though i've denied myself that full awareness because that would strip me of what i need to accomplish what i need to do. i cannot be a perfect being for it. not yet...
    at least, this is my interpretation of what has been going on.
    as i engage myself even more deeply into my manuscript, i feel that i am getting closer to the truth and that truth will hurt perhaps for me but for many others as well.
    TV Sucks.

Thumbs up Cherry Praxis

First of all , welcome to the forum. Secondly , thanks for sharing your dreams with all of us. Thridly, I know you already know this, but re-emphasizing that , most of the time you are the ebst interpereter of your dream.

I think you have a good realisation then and there as you pointed out. In certain dream controls, it is a great achioevement to be able to realise during your sleep that you are indeed dreaming and be able to watch the dream as opposed to flowing in the dream itself. But in order to reach this level of dream control, you really have to ask yourself to recognise your dream first.

Secondly, I feel that you too are emphasizing on the theme of atachment towards the laptop, your life story the manuscript, and your actual physical body being your source of suffering.

I feel these are great things. Again, great story...

cherry

Hey, glad to see you made it over here, your dream caught my interest, ill tell you what i can see in it, take out what you will and reject whatever doesnt comply but try to at least consider my advice.

Your dream sounds to me like its representing your past and your bagage. The fire sounds like its reprenting change. Your afraid that this change is forced and not welcome so your hanging on to your past [laptop] in an attempt to not lose who you are in the upheavel. You need to let go of your laptop, all of its information [your thoughts and feelings] are there anyway they will not be lost, only shall we say - less easily accesed. Sounds like there is something subconsious which desires something to hold onto, a talisman if you will to represent who you are. You need to realise your mind and your spirit are not tangable, they cannot be kept in text and they cannot be confined to an object. Even your own body is incapable of holding onto such things, let them go where they will and educate you as they may. The way you discribe the 'levels' in your house - it also sounds like these represent what you may view as your own personal level.
    You have obviously come a long way but at the same time fear being cast back. Take heed in the knowledge that your mind is your forge and your body is a tool built in its fire. You will not go backwards, you will only change direction.
    Let go of your 'laptop' you have everything it does and more...
    Your past makes up your experience it must not become your burdon.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

prana:

thank you for your response. i dreamt that dream last april. besides being a young college student, i'm also a writer and moonlight doing other things. at the time, i was in the middle of writing a manuscript. i have finished it this past summer and i have gotten relatively good feedback on it. (i.e. it is publishable)

around september (after the WTC incident), i was reading "thus spake zarathustra" by the german philosopher nietzsche and i had an epiphany. in it, nietzsche wrote about the "three metamorphoses" that symbolize what the 'overman' goes through--the camel who is burdened with baggage to cross through the desert, the lion who has to kill the dragon with the golden scales of "thou shalt," and finally, the child who is the beginning, learns everything and creates his own world. it was after reading this that i suddenly i remembered my dream about being in the 3rd level of consciousness. the only reason i say this is that i have always thought of my self as a little girl. i've had other experiences (in meditation and otherwise) that i have had this being as a little girl be my avatar. it is how i present my self. i never understood my "choice" of an avatar. it seemed to have just sprung. there was an incident that occured when i was 16 that cemented my opinion that i am "a little girl." it was when i was 16 that i had asked for someone to guide me (for the first time) and about a month later, i met a martial arts teacher who was substituting for my english teacher. i will not get into detail about that since it will be too lengthy but suffice to say that it felt like magic. one time, he, his then-girlfriend and i were meditating after a work-out session. even after they were done, i was still in meditation. when i came to, he said that he had an interesting experience. he said that he felt the spirit of a little girl who was being held by a little boy walk to him and the little girl blessed him as the little boy watched. then he asked his gf if she had done it since he assumed she had more meditation experience than i had. (after all, he just met me a few weeks earlier but i had no idea that it was called "meditation" when i was younger...i just routinely did something that in retrospect seems like meditation) after i heard him say what he said, i burst out crying. i said i had been visualizing about a little boy (where this little boy came from is another longer story that i won't get into because i've often been told as a child that i was imagining such things) and i was wondering if this teacher was my guide for a while. i found my answer...

i am not with that teacher now. i have moved on but i learned a lot from him and his school.

but, yes, i have a vivid/lively dream life and often times, i don't understand their meaning until months later. sometimes, i dream about frightening things that i know i fight in my dream because i know i am dreaming.

i am still quite sensitive about talking of these things for fear that i may be scorned. it wouldn't be the first time...

JON:

hey jon! yeah, i finally made it over here. =) thanks for your input and thanks for telling me about this forum. it's great!

i guess, i would have to agree with prana that often times, dreams have to be interpreted subjectively. you're on the mark though about something being a burden. it's not necessarily my past or my laptop (though understandably so for my laptop since i was anxious about my manuscript) that i feel attachment for. i'm not sure anymore but it's something that i'm trying to figure out.
    TV Sucks.