LAURIE ANDERSON: QUANJING JIEYAO PIAN W/ MIKE PATTON

JAN 23–26 | SFJAZZ RESIDENT ARTISTIC DIRECTOR LAURIE ANDERSON

JAN 25
Miner Auditorium
SAT JAN 25
Leaders Circle Presale
7:30 PM
$45 | $65 | $85 | $105

This night brings an exploration of vocal styles, as Anderson is joined by singer and composer Mike Patton.

Defined by the All Music Guide as “a complete and utter musical visionary and a mind-blowing and standard-warping genius,” Patton founded the experimental metal band Mr. Bungle and has fronted the Bay Area-based rock stalwarts Faith No More for three decades, while navigating the outer fringes of avant-garde and improvised music. He has collaborated extensively with maverick composer John Zorn and fronted a number of eclectic band projects including Mondo Cane, Fantômas, Tomahawk, and Dillinger Escape Plan.

ABOUT LAURIE ANDERSON
The pair will focus on the text from “Quanjing Jieyao Pian,” the final chapter of Jixiao Xinshu – the famous military manual written in the 16th century by Ming dynasty general and Chinese national hero Qi Jiguang. The chapter, which translates to “The Fist Canon and the Essentials of Nimbleness,” concerns the subject of unarmed combat exercises as physical training, and is the first known written document of martial arts instruction. The text, written in verse, is oddly poetic considering its pragmatic nature, and is fertile ground for creativity for these two modern music figures.
I need to start a Laurie Anderson thread. I was a huge fan of hers growing up and met her through Lou Reed. I've since met with her on a few occasions and even did an interview with her: Laurie Anderson on Tai Chi and THE HEART OF A DOG