Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Netflixer

Jun 10, 2020 3:38am PT
    Netflix Picks Up Malaysian Action Film ‘Wira’
    By Patrick Frater

Malaysian action film Wira
    Courtesy of Multimedia Entertainment
    Global streaming giant Netflix has acquired rights to Malaysian action film “Wira,” which had a successful South East Asian theatrical career last year.

Directed by Adrian Teh, and featuring Hairul Azreen and Yayan Ruhian, action stars from Malaysia and Indonesia, the film follows a man whose return home from the army coincides with plans to rescue his family from the clutches of an evil gangster (played by filmmaker and actor Dain Iskandar Said). When the plan goes wrong troubles mount.

The film was co-produced by Multimedia Entertainment, ACT 2 Pictures, Golden Screen Cinemas, Astro Shaw and Primeworks Studios. It was widely released in more than 100 cinemas across Malaysia, Brunei, Singapore and Indonesia.

Netflix will make it available globally from June 15. Subtitles will be limited to English and Malay.

“ ‘Wira’ combines unique aspects of storyline, cinematography, and mixed talents from both Malaysia and Indonesia,” said Steven Lim, producer and director at Multimedia Entertainment. “Malaysians who live around the world now have the chance to enjoy the stories of our national heroes,” said Teh.

Netflix’ slate of Malaysian movies now includes: “Pulang,” “Munafik 2,” “Polis Evo,” “Sangkar,” “Dendam Pontianak,” “Fly By Night,” “Jagat,” and “Crossroads: One Two Jaga.” It is the second film by Teh on the platform, after his earlier “Paskal: The Movie.”
    Man, I don't have Netflix anymore.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

My latest movie review on Den of Geek: Wira Review: Meet the Next Martial Arts Movie Star

THREADS
    Wira
    Gene Goes Ronin
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hairul reposted my review on his gram

He has 4.5 M followers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Azreen

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hairul calls it quits

Wira is our most dominate Azreen thread so I'm posting this here. Also creating a Malbatt: Misi Bakara thread.
    Hairul Azreen says he's quitting acting, 'Malbatt: Misi Bakara' is his last film

By MUMTAJ BEGUM
    ENTERTAINMENT
    Monday, 21 Aug 2023

1:00 PM MYT

Hairul Azreen says he wants to spend more time with his family. Photo: Hairul Azreen/Instagram

Actor Hairul Azreen made the shocking announcement that he’s quitting acting during his appearance with 3 Pagi Era on Monday (Aug 21).

The 35-year-old said that the upcoming film Malbatt: Misi Bakara would be his final acting project.

In an Instagram video of his appearance on the radio station, Hairul said that he doesn’t want to be greedy as he had experienced all there is in showbiz.

He added that he wants to conclude his career with a remarkable piece of work which is Malbatt, set to open at cinemas nationwide on Thursday (Aug 24).

"I, Hairul Azreen, want to announce that I will be quitting acting because I have portrayed all sorts of characters.

"God has granted me numerous opportunities, but I haven't been good at being grateful.

"Let my journey in the field of entertainment be a film that makes me proud, which is Malbatt Misi Bakara," he said.

Naturally the hosts of the radio show were taken aback with the announcement and questioned if Hairul was serious.

Hairul said that he wants to spend more time with his family, which is something he’s been unable to do as commitments to make films eat up all his time.

“Just to get ready for a role, I have to focus on my training at least for six months ... I'd work out six times a week... morning, afternoon, evening, night, and before I knew it, my children would be all grown up,” said the father of two.

"Some people don't get to see their children grow up or spend time with their parents. I don’t want that for myself.

“Thank God my mother is still around ...

"So, I feel that what I have now is sufficient and satisfying," he said adding that he would still be active on social media, where he has 5 million followers.

Hairul, who started out as a stuntman, went to become an action star, appearing in some of the biggest box office successes in Malaysia under the direction of Adrian Teh.

Among them were Paskal: The Movie, Wira and The Assistant. He also directed Ada Hantu and Ada Hantu 2.

Hairul still has one more film that's yet to be released, which is Syamsul Yusof’s The Original Gangster. However, the fate of Hairul’s role is unknown as he had to exit midway during filming as he suffered a serious knee injury while executing a stunt.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips