Thread: Luóhàn Zuòshān 罗汉坐山/Wǔhuā Zuòshān 五花坐山

Luóhàn Zuòshān 罗汉坐山/Wǔhuā Zuòshān 五花坐山

Here's a nice observation on the architecture of Shaolin Temple, and how it mirrors a popular stance in all Shaolin Taolu called "Hero sits atop the mountain" or "Luohan Sits atop the mountain" .....

Keeping study of stances within Shaolin curriculum, one can't ignore the "Hero sitting on mountain" stance which closes and opens many traditional Shaolin forms (like XiaoHongQuan and ZhaoYangQuan for example). This is also sometimes translated as "Luohan Sitting on Mountain" ( Luóhàn Zuòshān 罗汉坐山) or "5 flowers sit on mountain" ( Wǔhuā Zuòshān 五花坐山). It's also noteworthy, that this stance pays homage to Jinnaluo (Kimnara/Vajrapani), the patron and Buddhist saint of Shaolin, who, according to legend, straddled two mountain peaks with each of his legs while defending the Temple. The legs are in MaBu as if standing on two mountain peaks, and the arms are in the same position as the horizontal line on the Dharmachakra (Mon/swastika) seen on Buddha's chest.
    * While studying, I found an image of the stance actually superimposed onto an image of the Temples architectural blueprint and to no surprise, saw a correlation. * If not all, most Buddhist Temples in China are built with the same layout, so this is no coincidence. There is no question of the synchronicity of Shaolin Chan and Shaolin Wu, though many modern scholars debate it. * "Shaolin Kung Fu" as it's known to the modern world, was, is, and always will be a Buddhist fist, and further more, practicing it, with genuine heart, awakens the inherent Luohanship, hence the popular phrase "The Body is the Temple." * Now you know, the stance isn't just there to look cool, even though it does😊. I hope you hold the stance with more pride knowing you are the walking manifestation of Shaolin and through your practice, the "moving sutra" of Shaolin Taolu, you awaken your inner Buddha with each step of your Journey. #Amituofo #Dharmapala
    Source: Original Instagram Post
    Name:  Luohan Temple.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  67.1 KB
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

side note:
    this stance occurs in Songshan Shaolin mostly, also Southern Shaolin, and in forms from Bak Sil Lum.

I would love for us all to build a list here, of what forms exactly and where within them, the stance is present.

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

I wrote a feature article just dedicated to this

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

nice, man, memories .... think I bought that one at barnes&noble at Emeryville and lost it, and need to order if possible. (just checked and its possible , so many Shaolin specials I need to collect lol, wish I could get the fiirst ones!!)

and I recently found a couple OG threads on the topic also:
    Jin Na Luo Wang!
    Story behind the warrior pose
    Also working on a list for Songshan forms where the stance makes its heavenly appearance

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

Grab those back issues while they're still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    nice, man, memories .... think I bought that one at barnes&noble at Emeryville and lost it, and need to order if possible. (just checked and its possible , so many Shaolin specials I need to collect lol, wish I could get the fiirst ones!!)
    Insider intel (just for forum members only): Get your list together now. A MartialArtSmart back issue sale is iminent.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    Also working on a list for Songshan forms where the stance makes its heavenly appearance
    This will be a freakin huge list. Not only does it appear in the Songshan Shaolin forms, it also appears in Bak Sil Lum, Eagle Claw, and other Shaolin-derived styles.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Starting the list ....

1. Zhao Yang Quan (Songshan Shaolin curriculum) ; stance as the opening posture.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/drwerG...hz2s/giphy.mp4
    Last edited by Djuan; 03-20-2020 at 10:37 PM.
    Shaolin Meditator

thanks Gene, I got my copy of this issue about a month ago (I know Im all late) and I really like the article and learned from it. reasons why KFTC Magazine is the utmost best.

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator