Thread: RIP Gene Chicoine

Hybrid View

RIP Gene Chicoine

My facebook has been flooded with remembrances this morning. I never met him or interacted with him in anyway, but certainly knew him by reputation.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

RIP Teacher

I trained with him privately at his summer house in MA.

He was an old school teacher who was well trained.

He taught me much and I learned well.

He left a well trained legacy of students.

My condolences Mor Sao

I saw the obituary you posted on your social media and am copying it here for posterity.

Gene L. Chicoine
    July 9, 1930 ~ March 2, 2020 (age 89)

Obituary
    Gene Chicoine, legendary Martial Arts fighter and teacher, died March 2, 2020 at the age of 89.

The internationally renowned fighter was the President of the International Shuai Chiao Association.

Chosen by Chang Dung Sheng, widely considered the greatest Chinese fighter of the last 100 years, to be his 13th and last disciple and son, the only Caucasian ever to have had access to the inner circle of the great Grand Master. Chicoine was Chang’s first personal student in a decade. Chicoine fought and defeated every challenger in Taiwan, prior to formally being accepted as his son.

Such an incredible story prompted the magazine “Inside Kung-Fu” to send a reporter to Taiwan to verify the information. Having confirmed it, the magazine printed the story on February of 1998 and on several other editions.

Chicoine was appointed to be Grand Master’s successor as head of the ISCA. At the Grand Master’s death, he was given his belt, the 10th degree Black belt

Throughout his life, Chicoine trained thousands of students in his school, travelled extensively to Taiwan, demonstrating and teaching in Taipei’s Central College Police Academy, and other institutions. In the U.S. among other disciplines, he trained Police Officers in self defense in Academies throughout the NE.

A veteran of the 11th Airborne Division in World War II, he served in law enforcement in Summit and Portage Counties and in the National Guard.

He remained a teacher until his death. His elite school of Chinese Martial Arts will continue operating as HoChun in Tallmadge, Ohio, under a new leader, 9th degree Black Belt, Michael LoGrasso, Chicoine’s first Discple, his highest ranked student, and with whom he trained for over 41 years.

He leaves behind his wife, Juana; sons, Gene and Rich; beloved grandchildren, Courtney, Wesley, Kendra, Kylan, Kassie and Beau.

The death of this legendary teacher will leave a great void in the annals of the history of true Chinese Martial Arts of the twentieth and twenty first centuries.

Interment will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, March 23, 2020 at the Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery, 10175 Rawiga Road, Rittman, OH 44270

Services
    INTERMENT
    Monday
    March 23, 2020
    10:30 AM
    Ohio Western Reserve National Cemetery
    10175 Rawiga Road
    Rittman, OH 44270
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing his Obituary.

He will be missed.

His students will keep his legacy alive.
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima
    Pukulan Cimande Pusaka Sanders

All for Use
    Nothing for Show