Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kung Fu TV show CW REMAKE

Bradley Gibson

‘Power Book II: Ghost’s Bradley Gibson To Recur On ‘Kung Fu’ Reboot ; Quentin Plair Joins ‘Roswell, New Mexico’
    By Dino-Ray Ramos
    Associate Editor/Reporter
    @DinoRay

February 22, 2021 3:07pm

Courtesy of Jane Jourdan, The CW
    Bradley Gibson, who currently recurs as Everett on the Starz series Power Book II: Ghost is set to join the forthcoming reboot of Kung Fu at the CW in a recurring role.

Gibson will play the character of Joe Harper in Kung Fu. He is described as a man in his 20s who is a graphic artist and community organizer in Oakland. Joe is “funny, sexy, hip — deeply serious about his work and his activism, but equally committed to the joys of life: friendship, art, love.”

Heis a social butterfly, having a foot in many of the San Francisco Bay Area’s communities including gay San Francisco, bohemian San Francisco, the Black community of Oakland — which is where he grew up. Joe is an idealist, but he’s profoundly realistic about the many obstacles to deep, systemic change. However, he can’t keep his guard up about is love. He has an intensely romantic streak that will draw him to Nicky (Olivia Liang) brother, Ryan (Jon Prasida) They couldn’t be more different, but they find themselves drawn to each other, bonding over their shared passion for their respective communities.

Gibson was the most recent Simba in The Lion King on Broadway. He also appeared in A Bronx Tale after making his Broadway debut in Rocky. Heis set to return for the second season of the aforementioned Ghost, which is currently shooting in New York. He is repped by BRS-Gage and Steve Maihack at 44 West Entertainment.

In another bit of CW casting news, Rosewell, New Mexico has added Quentin Plair in a recurring guest star role.

The actor is set to play Dallas, a “charmingly enigmatic preacher with the ability to divine people’s troubles and provide them with the counsel they seek.” He is thoughtful and well-versed in many religions. He has a passion for music and is able to quote scripture and lyics from Biggie Smalls in the same breath. Dallas draws others into his orbit with his unique outlook on the big mysteries of life and will cross paths with Rosa during a pivotal point on her road to recovery.

Plair was most recently seen starring opposite Ethan Hawke and Daveed Diggs in the Showtime series The Good Lord Bird. His credits also include BET’s The Quad, ABC’s The Good Doctor and Hello Cupid for for Black & Sexy TV. He has also co-starred in the Netflix film Burning Sands and Drumline for VH1. He is repped by David Lederman at Innovative Artists and Lesley Brander at Monogram Management Group.
    I recently found out that an acquaintance of mine, a fellow reporter that I met in the Badlands, is a writer for this show.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

April 7, 2021

Feb 24, 2021 3:35pm PT
    The CW Sets ‘Kung Fu,’ ‘The Republic of Sarah’ Premiere Dates (TV News Roundup)

By Natalie Oganesyan

The Republic of Sarah -- "Pilot"
    Philippe Boss/The CW
    In today’s TV news roundup, The CW announced premiere dates for new and returning series, including “Kung Fu” and “The Republic of Sarah,” and the 2021 Writers Guild Awards will be hosted by Kal Penn.

RENEWALS
    CNN has picked up a second season of “Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy,” an original series featuring the actor’s travels across Italy. Season 2, which will premiere in 2022, will follow Tucci as he explores the culinary sphere and cultural traditions of new regions in Italy. The series is executive produced by Tucci for Raw TV, Adam Hawkins, Eve Kay and Amy Entelis and Lyle Gamm for CNN Original Series.

Vice TV announced four docuseries — Michael K. Williams’ “Black Market,” “I Was a Teenage Felon,” “While the Rest of Us Die” and “The Devil You Know” — have been greenlit for second seasons. Returning after a 5-year hiatus, “Black Market” explores the factors that lead people to participate in underground economies and illicit trades. Season 2 is produced by Freedome Productions and Picture Farm and co-produced by Vice World News. The second volume of “I Was a Teenage Felon,” produced by the Intellectual Property Corporation, will follow how average American children pursue smuggling, dealing, scamming and hacking through first-person interviews and cinematic visuals. Season 2 of “While the Rest of Us Die” will explore decades of government decisions that have widened the wealth gap, such as prioritizing large corporations over the interests of working-class families. Efran Films and Vice TV will produce. “The Devil You Know,” produced by Vice Studios, will return with a six-part season that uncovers the growth of online cults in the United States through the investigation of cult leader Sherry J. Shriner and her New Age Alien Agenda, a lizard cult.

DATES
    The CW announced that its new dramas “Kung Fu” and “The Republic of Sarah” making their series debuts April 7 at 8 p.m. and June 14 at 9 p.m., respectively. The network will also premiere the new seasons of “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” “Dynasty” and “In the Dark” respectively on May 2 at 8 p.m., May 7 at 9 p.m. and June 9 at 9 p.m. And, an all-new one-hour special “World’s Funniest Animals: Spring Fling” will air April 30 at 8 p.m. “Kung Fu,” which stars Olivia Liang, Tzi Ma and Kheng Hua Tan, will follow a young Chinese-American woman Nicky Shen (Liang) who must protect her hometown, overrun with crime and corruption, with the help of her loved ones and martial arts skills. Starring Stella Baker and Luke Mitchell, “The Republic of Sarah” unfolds as a rebellious high school teacher goes head-to-head with a greedy mining company that aims to destroy her town.
    I don't even watch broadcast TV anymore but I'll surely tune in for this at some point.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

EW exclusive

The trailer is only available on ET right now, but it'll be everywhere soon.

'Kung Fu': Nicky Shen Battles Bad Guys in Action-Packed First Trailer (Exclusive)
    By Philiana Ng* 9:00 AM PST, March 8, 2021

‹›
    Now playing
    Time to see Nicky Shen in action.

Kung Fu debuts its very first official trailer for the upcoming CW drama series, led by Legacies' Olivia Liang and legendary actor Tzi Ma, and only ET exclusively premieres the action-packed minute-long promo. (See the first photos from Kung Fu.)

A modern-day reimagining of the 1970s series and starring a predominantly Asian cast, Kung Fu follows a young Chinese American woman, Nicky Shen (Liang), who drops out of college and goes on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to San Francisco three years later, she finds her hometown is overrun with crime and corruption and her own parents, Jin (Ma) and Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan), are at the mercy of the powerful Triad.

In order to go up against the powerful crime syndicate, Nicky will rely on her tech-savvy sister Althea (Shannon Dang) and Althea’s fiancé Dennis (Tony Chung), pre-med brother Ryan (Jon Prasida), Assistant District Attorney and ex-boyfriend Evan (Gavin Stenhouse) and new love interest Henry (Eddie Liu), as well as her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice -- all while searching for the assassin, Zhilan (Yvonne Chapman), who killed her Shaolin mentor, Pei-Ling (Vanessa Kai), and is now targeting her.

The Kung Fu trailer opens with Pei-Ling offering words of wisdom to her protégé, Nicky, as she embarks on her kung fu training: "To truly master kung fu, you will must find peace -- peace with your family." Easier said than done as Nicky foreshadows, "Peace and my family don't really go together."

Cut to an awkward family meal around the dinner table celebrating Nicky's unexpected return home and it's clear she has a lot of catching up to do with her family. "Golden child's back baby!" her brother Ryan quips, after she breaks the news she's likely not going back to law school.

Not long after Nicky's back in town, she meets martial arts expert and Chinese history buff Henry, who quickly becomes an ally, and her three years away of secret kung fu training sessions under the tutelage of Pei-Ling reveals itself in intense street fights and badass hand-to-hand combat situations against unsavory folk. To say her siblings are stunned by this unforeseen turn of events is an understatement.

"You're a kung fu, butt-kicking hero?!" Nicky's sister Althea says, a bit in awe, after witnessing her (and Henry) take down a group of Triad baddies without so much as batting an eyelash.

And of course, things are bound to get complicated when Nicky turns to her former love Evan for help and reassures him that she "stepped in" to handle a dicey situation. When he doesn't seem to be persuaded by Nicky's diplomatic choice of words, she finally acknowledges the truth. "More like... punched and kicked," she admits as the trailer cuts to Nicky beating down on an army of men solo.

"You took down an army by yourself. You basically walked on air," Henry says, clearly impressed by Nicky, who brushes off his compliments. "It was physics," she states matter-of-factly. Something tells us Nicky's about to be The CW's latest badass heroine to grace the screen. Watch the official trailer above.

The groundbreaking drama, created by co-showrunner Christina M. Kim, is also executive produced by co-showrunner Robert Berens, Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schecter, Martin Gero (Blindspot) and David Madden. Hanelle Culpepper directed and co-executive produced the pilot. Also starring in recurring roles on Kung Fu are Ludi Lin (Power Rangers, Mortal Kombat) and Bradley Gibson (Power Book II: Ghost).

Kung Fu premieres Wednesday, April 7 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on The CW.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu (The CW) Trailer HD

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Olivia Liang & Tzi Ma

‘Kung Fu’ Stars Olivia Liang & Tzi Ma Condemn Atlanta Shootings, Explain How CW Series Can Be Part Of “Long-Term Solution” To AAPI Hate
    By Alexandra Del Rosario
    TV Reporter
    @_amvdr

March 17, 2021 10:31am

Kailey Schwerman/The CW
    During a panel Wednesday promoting their upcoming series, Kung Fu stars Olivia Liang and Tzi Ma responded to the rising number of violent acts against Asian Americans, condemning the latest incident in Atlanta when a gunman killed eight people, a majority of whom were Asian American.

“What happened last night in Atlanta with eight people killed breaks my heart and I’m not quite sure what the short-term fix is,” said Ma, who appears in the upcoming series as Jin, the father of Liang’s Nicky Shen. “We are the long-term solution.”

“It pains me, everyday it happens, everyday it’s something,” he added.

While Ma said he’s unsure of any quick fix to bring justice to the victims or undo the racist attacks, he said Asian American representation in television and media are part of long-term goals. Liang agreed with her co-star, adding that “the timing of our show is really impeccable.”

Written by Christina M. Kim and inspired by the original series created by Ed Spielman, in the new Kung Fu, a quarter-life crisis causes a young Chinese American woman, Nicky (Liang), to drop out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to San Francisco, she finds her hometown is overrun with crime and corruption and her own parents Jin (Tzi Ma) and Mei-Li (Kheng Hua Tan) are at the mercy of a powerful Triad. Nicky will rely on her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice…all while searching for the ruthless assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor Pei-Ling (Vanessa Kai) and is now targeting her.

Liang said that the Kung Fu reboot is a notable moment for Asian Americans in Hollywood and spoke about the importance of representation and inclusion in media.

“We need to be invited to people’s homes who don’t see us in their everyday life just to humanize us, normalize seeing us and remind them that we are people just like they are and that we have a place in this world,” she said. “Hopefully having this show in their homes will expand their worldview.”

Also condemning the racist attacks was Kung Fu executive producer and co-showrunner Kim, who said the Atlanta shooting Tuesday was “absolutely sad and tragic.” She echoed her stars’ points about representation in media and how her show can be apart of bringing about cultural awareness and acceptance.

Kim wrote the pilot episode and serves as executive producer/co-showrunner with Robert Berens. Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, Martin Gero and David Madden also serve as executive producers. Hanelle Culpepper is directing and co-executive producing the pilot. Kung Fu is produced by Berlanti Productions and Quinn’s House in association with Warner Bros Television.

Kung Fu premieres April 7 on the CW.
    thread
    Kung-Fu-TV-show-CW-REMAKE
    Stop-Asian-Hate
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu Sneak Peek and Q&A | WonderCon@Home 2021

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu: Inside The History of a Martial Arts Classic

Read my latest feature for Den of Geek: Kung Fu: Inside The History of a Martial Arts Classic

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Who's tuning in tonight?

I'm really curious how this will be received. My NDA is expired now because today's is the premiere.

Personally, I wasn't impressed. I luved Tzi Ma. He was the best part, and unusually timely given #stopasianhate. I want to see a show where he's the dad of a bevy of ninjettes.

But seriously, eager to hear your opinions on this one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Well, if you want opinions, tell people what CW means! Ever try searching for something that is two letters? Eventually discovered that it stands for CBS/Warner, and then it took a while to find that its KTTV channel 5 on Dish! I must be getting old, because to me CBS was always channel 2...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm really curious how this will be received. My NDA is expired now because today's is the premiere.

Personally, I wasn't impressed. I luved Tzi Ma. He was the best part, and unusually timely given #stopasianhate. I want to see a show where he's the dad of a bevy of ninjettes.

Wonder if there's any historical examples of a sword handle having a heating element, whether gunpowder or gas? Watched the whole show. Could hardly follow it with so many commercials. Have not watched TV for years...

Where to stream

The Kung Fu Video pilot is here on The CW site.

Looks like they'll be streaming new eps every Thursday here. I'm obligated to watch.

The premiere did okay. We'll see if they sustain it.
    Ratings: Kung Fu Gives CW Slot a 2-1/2 Year Audience High, Nancy Drew Rises
    Matt Webb Mitovich
    Thu, April 8, 2021, 8:32 AM·2 min read

In the latest TV show ratings, The CW’s Kung Fu debuted on Wednesday night to 1.4 million total viewers and a 0.2 demo rating — improving upon Riverdale‘s season averages to date (530K/0.14) and, in fact, giving the time slot its largest audience in two-and-a-half years. TVLine readers gave the premiere an average grade of “B”; read recap.

Leading out of the reboot, Nancy Drew (666K/0.1) rose to its largest audience in 16 months while (faint praise alert!) improving on last week’s 0.0 rating.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips