Thread: Plum Publishing & The Academy of Martial and Internal Arts

Plum Publishing & The Academy of Martial and Internal Arts

As I'm on furlough from KungFuMagazine.com, I contributed an essay to the Academy of Martial and Internal Arts where I train.

Shaolin Sheltering

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

very nice insights on taolu and training perspectives in general. until this time, I did not truly grasp, or appreciate group forms, and always had a disdain for it even. The way of the hermit monk has always been intriguing and attractive to me, since I first started training. I would be the kid who couldnt wait until group sessions were over, so I could ask my teacher questions and/or rush home to practice in privacy. I never liked performing or showing my kung fu to outsiders.
    with group forms, in retrospect, I actually gained more than I thought. Now I find myself recording taolu, trying to get some refinement I would normally get from reflection among peers. first thing that comes to mind is my first classes. I was the tallest person in that group, and I didnt know how poor my stances were until I was able to see my peers handle them. Some were a foot or more shorter, and one person was about an inch shorter. The student nearest my height was as low as the shortest students when he got in to xie bu, ma bu, pu bu, and xu bu, which I thought, because I was tall, I was granted the liberty of holding the stances higher. I remember using that entire peer group as a ruler to measure my stances, I wasn't satisfied until I could hold the stances as low as my peers, with comfort and poise. This measuring would echo later in every aspect of taolu from expressions of shen fa, to striking with the palm (how erect or upright my hand should be), to the snap in my punch or kick, to general fluidity.

Practicing privately, once you learn to a certain degree, if you arent VERY careful, and VERY diligent, you can get lazy without that peer mirror, or ruler, to measure your taolu. Since this distancing thing has been in swing, I've been doing comparative videos with peers and it helps a lot, and also makes me want to enroll in a school or temple as soon as we can be social again lol, I mean I really miss it, and am almost ashamed at how introverted I've been the past few years. I really miss being in a martial community socially, for so many reasons. I blamed fatherhood for keeping me inside more, however, that transition and growth in my life is to be healthily incorporated into my martial community outside the house as well.

(on the bright side, I have been training a lot more, and a lot harder, into those hermit monk hours of the night, and have had time to focus in and refine some things I've been wanting to work on for years, literally years. Being inside like this really puts any practice into perspective.... *especially in the literal translation of 'kung fu'.)

Amiituofo
    Last edited by Djuan; 04-11-2020 at 01:55 AM.
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Shaolin Sheltering Part 2

I'm still on furlough from KungFuMagazine.com, so here is another essay I contributed to the Academy of Martial and Internal Arts where I train.

Shaolin Sheltering: Weird Weapons

THREADS
    Academy of Martial and Internal Arts
    Bodhidharma Cane
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Xingyi Sheltering

I donated another essay to my school's blog.

Xingyi Sheltering

THREADS
    The-Academy-of-Martial-and-Internal-Arts
    Xingyi
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The KaiMen Sheltering Trilogy and the Apocalypse

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My latest essay

My latest essay for The Academy of Martial and Internal Arts - Becoming A Sifu.

THREADS
    My-personal-blog
    The-Academy-of-Martial-and-Internal-Arts
    Cantonese kinship terms
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    very nice insights on taolu and training perspectives in general. until this time, I did not truly grasp, or appreciate group forms, and always had a disdain for it even.
    Same. I like the insights of it as well.