Thread: Coaching All The Way to Tournament

Coaching All The Way to Tournament

In a recent TV news interview of a local boxer, he said even champion needs a coach to train him and drive him for tournament. But it depends on which tournament, professional fight might not allow coaching during the fight - that is after the match has begun. I am not so sure to agree with the boxer's view. I am the type of fellow that believe that after a certain point in time that an athlete should have grown up. He should be able to train himself. He should not need a coach to baby sit him all the times, certainly not during a professional fight. So what is your view?

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    In a recent TV news interview of a local boxer, he said even champion needs a coach to train him and drive him for tournament. But it depends on which tournament, professional fight might not allow coaching during the fight - that is after the match has begun. I am not so sure to agree with the boxer's view. I am the type of fellow that believe that after a certain point in time that an athlete should have grown up. He should be able to train himself. He should not need a coach to baby sit him all the times, certainly not during a professional fight. So what is your view.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Professionals usually do not need coaches but it depends on the age of the boxer/martial artist when they retire. After a certain age, perhaps 35 and maybe topping 45 years, most have ended their successful career and the younger guys in their 20s take over to start their own era of sport. There are times that a coach can see what the champion can do further to equalize his deficiencies.