Thread: Where are all the threads?

Blog Entries

Where are all the threads?

What happened to all the threads that used to be in these forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    What happened to all the threads that used to be in these forums?

They only show threads within the last month or two I think.
    So if people don't respond to them within a certain time they archive. You can still search for things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdude View Post
    They only show threads within the last month or two I think.
    So if people don't respond to them within a certain time they archive. You can still search for things.
    That's too bad. I think it kind of killed this forum. New users probably don't think there's any content here.

I'm on furlough due to the pandemic

I'm not ttt-ing threads. I only come around here for personal reasons now, because I cannot work for the company and collect unemployment. It's up to you all to keep content flowing on the subforums now. All the threads are archived. You just need to ttt them with new info. Or post new info.

Thanks everyone, for your continued support. Stay Strong & Healthy.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Lightbulb Try settings

Useful tip: If you go to the settings menu and look under general settings on the right hadn menu you can change the cut off date for your account.
    This way you will still see older posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mad4dos View Post
    Useful tip: If you go to the settings menu and look under general settings on the right hadn menu you can change the cut off date for your account.
    This way you will still see older posts.
    right, helps a lot. theres so many informative threads archived, just have to adjust your settings, and not mind searching. without the archives, stuff would get pretty crowded. keeping the archives as they are maintains some decent "forum feng shui" .....
    gotta be into research if you want the old threads lol
    you know some times, a lot of the time, I will google something very specific about Shaolin martial arts, and a thread from this forum in 2005 AD will come up with loads of info in it. even google will send you to KFTCM archives if you look around enough and use the right words

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

I just reset the forum to show all threads.

I should've done that a long time ago but that function had only been set so for the Off Topic forum. All the threads have always been here, it's just a setting in admin that I didn't notice until now.

I'm still sheltering-in-place but no longer on furlough. Sorry I've been away. I'll still be in and out because I'm mostly telecommuting and there's a ton of other business that needs to be dealt with due to the pandemic. It shut down our production as I mentioned in our SUMMER 2020 thread.

For those of you that have continued to post here and kept our little flame alive, I thank you.

Stay Strong and Healthy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    That's too bad. I think it kind of killed this forum. New users probably don't think there's any content here.
    What killed the forum was the rise of facebook. It's been pretty quiet around here ever since that, and other social mediums, rose to prominence. In a way, I'm glad of it. We still get a lot of views (it's all about those eyeballs really - we need to promote our sponsor MartialArtSmart to keep the lights on around here). With the decreased posting, we don't have the flame wars and spammers like before, which is really nice. Most of the trolls that we get now are on our YouTube channel.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Glad you’re OK, Gene.

This forum was highly active until 2013 or so. Many people believe that discussion forums are dying. I would say that’s true of most martial arts discussion forums. I’ve belonged to a large knife-related forum since the same time I started here (back in 1998), and that forum is still as active as it ever was, maybe even more so. Besides martial arts discussions moving on to other media, I believe many feel that pretty much everything MA-related has already been said already.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Glad you’re OK, Gene.

This forum was highly active until 2013 or so. Many people believe that discussion forums are dying. I would say that’s true of most martial arts discussion forums. I’ve belonged to a large knife-related forum since the same time I started here (back in 1998), and that forum is still as active as it ever was, maybe even more so. Besides martial arts discussions moving on to other media, I believe many feel that pretty much everything MA-related has already been said already.
    the babies! there an entire generation coming up that values this information and needs. the exchange might differ, questions and answers will always be in rotation with martial arts as they develop with everyone's individual expression and growth. Social media takes up some of the discussion, but its designed for one voice per discussion, the forum can still be a nice place to meet, just needs loyal patrons with the zeal to share and communicate. it's partly due to the nature forums naturally attracting trolls as well, a MA forum can be a battle ground at some points, aside from that, no trolls ruining the party, I think this forum can still grow, it just with the next generation now. Think of how many kids practice 'kung fu' and have not even scratched the surface of information exchanged in this forum, dealing with their own arts and MA in general. Most people are still pretty green to MA, and with MMA putting a blanket over the MA community, it obscures the clear picture of each individual art, especially CMA......for most, if they havent been training CMA for 20 plus years, they dont have the foundation of knowledge you all have accessible here. not even close, and you'd be surprised at how many MAist, and MMAist group kung fu/wushu hard soft north south etc all in one group, some still group it with Japanese and Korean arts. This forum is VERY unique in the perspective it provides with CMA and the outlet to access of credible sources of information and study of CMA.
    We have to think about what this forum does for those who dont know much and might have basic questions, as well as to those who are into specifics, in my opinion of course.
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

It's always been about the archive in my mind

Online forums are searchable databases. Most social media aren't quite searchable in the same way beyond hastagging. So even if there is no new posts here, we're still getting searched all the time. I'm very proud that we have been able to provide this free resource. And as I'm sure you've noticed, my strategy has been to feed the forum with the latest relevant (and sometimes irrelevant) news. I copy the entire article for posterity because net news can disappear with a click. I always link it back to the source, but there's a ton of data in those news pieces. It's a great research archive. I've kept a ton of my notes here, especially for my Fast Forward to the Fight Scenes column in the print mag.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Blog Entries
    I see them now! Much better, thanks.

I would guess a combination of Facebook, YouTube, Reddit, blogs, etc. cut into forum traffic. But it was definitely not helping to get to the forum and not see any posts.

Stay safe everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I should've done that a long time ago but that function had only been set so for the Off Topic forum. All the threads have always been here, it's just a setting in admin that I didn't notice until now.

I'm still sheltering-in-place but no longer on furlough. Sorry I've been away. I'll still be in and out because I'm mostly telecommuting and there's a ton of other business that needs to be dealt with due to the pandemic. It shut down our production as I mentioned in our SUMMER 2020 thread.

For those of you that have continued to post here and kept our little flame alive, I thank you.

Stay Strong and Healthy!

What killed the forum was the rise of facebook. It's been pretty quiet around here ever since that, and other social mediums, rose to prominence. In a way, I'm glad of it. We still get a lot of views (it's all about those eyeballs really - we need to promote our sponsor MartialArtSmart to keep the lights on around here). With the decreased posting, we don't have the flame wars and spammers like before, which is really nice. Most of the trolls that we get now are on our YouTube channel.