Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Tai Chi is ceasing publication

Kung Fu Tai Chi is ceasing publication

With the deepest sadness, Kung Fu Tai Chi is ceasing publication. The decline in newsstand distributors coupled with the impact of the pandemic has forced the closure of TC Media International. Current subscribers will be notified by mail on compensation.

Thank you for supporting Kung Fu Tai Chi. We are enormously proud of what we achieved over the last 28 years. It has been an honor to serve the martial arts world. Please continue to support KungFuMagazine.com and MartialArtSmart.com.

Stay Strong and Healthy. And keep the practice alive.

Gene Ching FORMER Publisher, Kung Fu Tai Chi
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene, I am so sorry to hear this. I really got a lot out of Kung Fu/Tai Chi magazine (or by the various names it went under) since the early ‘90s. I want to express my thanks to you and all the contributors throughout the years.

May the spirit live on!

So sad!

Will there still be the online content?
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Regarding the end of Kung Fu Tai Chi print publication

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    Will there still be the online content?
    Yes, for now. As long as MartialArtSmart can stay in business, KungFuMagazine.com and this forum will stay online. I'll still be active here part time. It's all still being sorted however. Putting the print mag to rest has a lot of factors. But both KFM and this forum are tremendous archives (over a thousand articles on KFM and I can't even begin to tabulate what's stored on this forum) so I'm going to do my best to fight for it. However, I gotta pay my own bills too.

There is a chance that the SUMMER 2020 issue might still be produced. We were almost done with it when the Shelter-in-Place order was given. I'm looking into doing some sort of fundraiser like a GoFundMe to complete it.

Publishing has been a struggle and this fate is inevitable for every niche mag. Remember, I've been charting the decline of print mags in our Print-publishing-death-watch since 2009.

Thank you all for your continued support.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I will miss the Shaolin specials the most. Gene, you were definitely a voice to the west for the Shaolin Temple along with the Songshan Shaolin masters that moved and opened schools here in the US. Sometimes doors close and new ones open. Have you thought about taking your talent to social media outlets like you tube, live streaming, etc.?

I miss those too, Songshan

The Shaolin Special were my favorite, my personal pet projects with KFTC.

I've had several people suggest I start live streaming on YouTube. I may consider it but to be honest with all of you, I'm a writer, not a vlogger. My appearances on shows like Man at Arms: Art of War were under directors and heavily edited. I have my moments, but in general, I'm not that spontaneous in front of a camera. It's a very different media, and frankly, building up my name as a franchise wouldn't be profitable for a long, long time. There are so many vloggers in that game.

We've worked YouTube for years through our KungFuMagazine channel. We currently have 33+K subscribers, something that we built after years of work. Unfortunately, due to copyright issues with some of the music played at the martial demonstrations, we can't advertise profitably there. But that being said, I know how long it takes to build that big of a following in the martial world, and how much I'd make back for that investment, so it doesn't seem that good of a bet at this time. Maybe later, but now I need to find a more stable paying job, which is challenging with all of the hiring freezes and the largest unemployment since the Great Depression.

Sadly, we were developing the first of a vlog series when the Shelter-in-Place began. It's almost done, however now, I've lost my team. Patrick (Design Sifu) and I hope to complete it because we put so much work into it, but we shall see if that comes to pass. He is also looking for work. I had several more vlogs mapped out, along with so many other projects in developmet, but I don't know if they'll ever be completed now.

What's more, TC Media is looking to retain me for KungFuMagazine.com and social media. It's a part-time position now, but I will do what I can to maintain those resources (including this forum). Maybe it'll grow back into a full-time position, but that will depend entirely upon sales at MartialArtSmart. To be prefectly frank, like I've said so many times here before, if you want this forum and KungFuMagazine to go on, support MartialArtSmart.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The Shaolin Special were my favorite, my personal pet projects with KFTC.

What's more, TC Media is looking to retain me for KungFuMagazine.com and social media. It's a part-time position now, but I will do what I can to maintain those resources (including this forum). Maybe it'll grow back into a full-time position, but that will depend entirely upon sales at MartialArtSmart. To be prefectly frank, like I've said so many times here before, if you want this forum and KungFuMagazine to go on, support MartialArtSmart.
    Much Love and Respect Gene

Can we still order the old hard copies of the magazine from the website?

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    Much Love and Respect Gene

Can we still order the old hard copies of the magazine from the website?

Amituofo
    While there is remaining stock, sure. In fact, if you want this forum and KungFuMagazine.com to continue, please order from them. You can find back issues here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

While there is remaining stock, sure. In fact, if you want this forum and KungFuMagazine.com to continue, please order from them. You can find back issues here.
    got it. on the bright side, this is an chance to expand the brand online. think about it, everything is online, and moving faster than ever, how could the magazine transfer its publication online? there so much that can be covered still and presented by KFTC, it just takes that think tank to pull it out of the Universe. its there.

in general, a lot of magazines are going to go that route, finding ways in forms video journalism, podcasts, vlogging, and streaming services to name a few. Kung Fu and Tai Chi, as arts, the global presence is immense, and is in everything we do, so theres still more than enough space for the publication, just needs a shift of delivery to match the times and future. I'd say the martial arts and general sports world is screaming for a stronger online platform for all things Kung Fu, ( or CMA, from Shaolin to Wudang, wushu to qi gong and everything in between)
    I know many others share my sentiment, and we cant take the forum, as great as it is, as the only place we gather as community to say, these are the only ones that know about it and want to keep it going. with the proper online exposure, presentation and accessibility , the publication can grow further in to the future.
    cmon man, all the fight in us, can we fight for this publication some how? we need you guys!

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

I guess the old axioms are true

All good things must end and this too shall pass.

All the best with what the future brings.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The fight

Quote Originally Posted by Djuan View Post
    cmon man, all the fight in us, can we fight for this publication some how? we need you guys!
    I appreciate your sentiment but you're being overly dramatic. The bottom line is we can do anything IF we have the funds. And the funds comes from MartialArtSmart.

The 'fight' is solely economic. Fund KungFuMagazine.com by buying at MartialArtSmart.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I appreciate your sentiment but you're being overly dramatic. The bottom line is we can do anything IF we have the funds. And the funds comes from MartialArtSmart.

The 'fight' is solely economic. Fund KungFuMagazine.com by buying at MartialArtSmart.
    Fair enough

Amituofo
    Shaolin Meditator

So sorry to read this. KFTC has been close to many of our hearts for decades.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I have enjoyed the magazine over the years and have learnt alot in my journey by the histories of other SMA system that I was not aware of!
    Other than travelling to another state (Wisconsin) to get the mag, it was a fun ride!

Prosper and Enjoy Life

Kung Fu Tea

Chinese Martial Arts in the News: May 22, 2020 – Epidemic, Closure and The Loss of Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine

Introduction
    It has been way too long since our last news update. We are fortunate to have had such a rich series of guest posts exploring the ways that COVID-19 has impacted both our personal training and the field of Martial Arts Studies. That series has not yet concluded, but I thought that it might be a nice change of page to get caught up with the news. For new readers, this is a semi-regular feature here at Kung Fu Tea in which we review media stories that mention the traditional fighting arts. In addition to discussing important events, this column also considers how the Asian hand combat systems are portrayed in the mainstream media. As one might expect, many of the martial arts stories published over the last month centered on the global disruption of the novel coronavirus. Still, it is fascinating to note the wide variety of ways that it is being discussed with reference to the martial arts.
    While we try to summarize the major stories over the last month, there is always a chance that we may have missed something. If you are aware of an important news event relating to the TCMA, drop a link in the comments section below. If you know of a developing story that should be covered in the future feel free to send me an email.

The Impact of COVID-19 on the Chinese Martial Arts
    Calculating the cost of a catastrophe is never easy. In the case of the TCMA these losses can be seen in the slow attrition of the schools, institutions and infrastructure that support our community. Perhaps the greatest of these institutional losses has been the closure of Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine. The entire magazine industry has been in decline for decades, but in this case the current epidemic was the final straw. Gene Ching, the magazine’s former publisher (and before that editor), has been an important friends to the growing field of Martial Arts Studies and I have had the pleasure to work with him on several small projects over the years. This must have been a devastating blow for him and the entire production team. At the same time, Kung Fu Tai Chi served as an important unifying voice in an area so diverse and riven with factionalism that simply keeping up with current developments is a real challenge.
    Newsstand martial arts magazine had a profound impact on me as I grew up in a small, relatively isolated, town. They created an image of martial practice that was almost intoxicating to my young and impressionable mind. The loss of KFTC Magazine feels like losing another slice of my younger self. All created things must end, and it has been a good 28 year run.

COVID-19 is not only impacting the martial arts in North America. While Hong Kong, Taiwan and the Peoples Republic of China seem to have come out on the other side of their respective curves, the effects of the pandemic on their economies, and martial arts communities, continues to be dire. Particularly interesting was an article in Bloomberg titled “Hong Kong’s Economic Crisis Just Keeps Getting Worse,” which opens and closes with the struggles of one of the city’s many Wing Chun schools. Of course, the ongoing civil unrest in Hong Kong adds an extra hurdle for that city’s economy.
    “Passing on this cultural touchstone to the next generation is proving to be Lam [Shu-shing]’s biggest challenge yet as the number of students has dwindled to a handful. “This is the toughest moment in the past 40 years that I am teaching Kung Fu,” said Lam, who at almost 70 had to give up his gym when he couldn’t afford the rent. “I don’t see any improvement in Hong Kong any time soon.”

As in North America, some Chinese schools have found new opportunities as they continue to negotiate long-term shutdowns. I found a fun photo essay in the China Daily titled “Martial arts master turns to online classes for global students.” The physical and highly personal nature of instruction has made the martial arts sector resistant to any sort of consolidation (something that we have seen in other areas of the fitness industry). One wonders how resilient the new networks of students and teachers being formed now will prove to be, and whether they might be a harbinger of change in the future.

“Martial arts master Yu Danqiu is teaching apprentices around the world online after his club was closed by the COVID-19 outbreak. On May 9, Yu, chairman of the Ming He Quan, or the Calling Crane Fist Research Association of the Fujian Martial Arts association in Jianxindongling village of Cangshan district, in Fuzhou, East China’s Fujian province, taught fist forms remotely to apprentices from five countries, including Russia, Australia, and the United Kingdom.”
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips