I know Tasha. We worked together on The Adept. I'm so happy for her.

'Tomb Raider' Showrunner Tasha Huo to Write 'Red Sonja' With Joey Soloway for Millennium (Exclusive)
FEBRUARY 26, 2021 12:48PM by Alex Ritman

Courtesy of Illiana Garcia
Millennium are launching pre-sales at the EFM on their long-gestating fantasy project.
Red Sonja has a new writer.

Tasha Huo, the rising screenwriter who is showrunning and executive producing the upcoming animated Tomb Raider series for Netflix and Legendary, has been tapped to write the long-gestating fantasy reboot with director Joey Soloway. Millennium will be pre-selling the film at next week's EFM.

The fantasy project — based on the sword and sorcery comic book by Dynamite Entertainment — appears now to be very much back on track for Millennium, where it has been in the works for a decade. Soloway (Transparent) was announced as writer and director in 2019, taking over from Bryan Singer who was dropped following an investigative report into the filmmaker in The Atlantic.

Casting on the film is set to begin immediately.

"I have loved Red Sonja forever and I feel so honored to help shepherd her story and start this cinematic journey. There could not be a greater moment in our world for Red Sonja's ways of wielding power and her connection with nature and our planet," said Soloway. "She is an ancient heroine with an epic calling, and translating that to the screen is a dream come true for me as a filmmaker. I can't wait to collaborate with Tasha on this vision."

Added Millennium co-president Jonathan Younger: "We’re very excited to be bringing Red Sonja to the market and the world. This has been a long time coming. Having Joey Soloway at the helm of this feminist icon franchise is the perfect recipe for a magical adventure, which is exactly what the world needs today."

Mark Canton (300, Power) and Courtney Solomon (After) produce alongside Christa Campbell and Lati Grobman on behalf of Campbell Grobman Films and Andrea Sperling on behalf of Topple, while for Millennium Yariv Lerner, Jeffrey Greenstein, Yunger, Les Weldon, Joe Gatta, and Tanner Mobley produce.

Avi Lerner, Boaz Davidson, and Trevor Short exec producer for Millennium, together with Dorothy Canton and Luke Lieberman. Luke Lieberman on behalf of Red Sonja LLC, Nick Barrucci on behalf of Dynamite Entertainment, and Dorothy Canton are also executive producers.

Huo, who also wrote for Netflix's The Witcher: Blood Origin reboot, is repped by The Gersch Agency.

ALEX RITMAN
alex.ritman@thr.com
@alexritman
threads
Red-Sonja-the-ultimate-Sword-Hottie
The-Adept-by-Immortal-Comics