Thread: Eliminating the term "Master"

Eliminating the term "Master"

Might this affect the martial arts?

BUSINESS NEWSJULY 2, 2020 / 3:41 PM / UPDATED 18 HOURS AGO
    Exclusive: JPMorgan drops terms 'master,' 'slave' from internal tech code and materials
    Elizabeth Dilts Marshall
    3 MIN READ

NEW YORK (Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM.N) is eliminating terms like “blacklist,” “master” and “slave” from its internal technology materials and code as it seeks to address racism within the company, said two sources with knowledge of the move.

FILE PHOTO: The logo of Dow Jones Industrial Average stock market index listed company JPMorgan Chase (JPM) is seen in Los Angeles, California, United States, in this October 12, 2010. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
    The terms had appeared in some of the bank’s technology policies, standards and control procedures, as well in the programming code that runs some of its processes, one of the sources said.

Other companies like Twitter Inc (TWTR.K) and GitHub Inc adopted similar changes, prompted by the renewed spotlight on racism after the death of George Floyd, a Black man who died in police custody in Minneapolis in May. here

The phrases “master” and “slave” code or drive are used in some programming languages and computer hardware to describe one part of a device or process that controls another.

“Blacklist” is used to describe items that are automatically denied, like a list of websites forbidden by a company’s cybersecurity division. “Whitelist” means the opposite - a list of items automatically approved.

Floyd’s death has sparked a re-examination of words that might carry racial overtones. For example, some realtors are no longer using the term “master bedroom,” and Universal Music Group’s Republic Records stopped using the word “urban” to describe music genres and internal departments or roles.

JPMorgan appears to be the first in the financial sector to remove most references to these racially problematic phrases, and it comes after the bank has said it is taking other steps to promote Black professionals and anti-bias culture training for staff.

Columbia Business School programming professor Mattan Griffel said such terms have long been controversial and can be difficult to change.

The technology that underpins bank operations is often a spaghetti-like mess that results from merged companies, decades-old code and third-party systems, and any change can have cascading effects that are difficult to predict, Griffel said.

Changing these terms within the bank’s code could take millions of dollars and months of work, Griffel said.

“This is not a trivial” investment by the bank, Griffel said. “This kind of language and terminology is so entrenched. It has to (change) and now is as good a time as any.”

Reporting By Elizabeth Dilts Marshall in New York; Additional reporting by Paresh Dave in San Francisco; Editing by Matthew Lewis
    Threads
    Black-Lives-Matter
    Eliminating the term "Master"
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Wrong Cultural Reference I No_Know

Some parents might find using that term on the wrong side of socially acceptable and withdraw students if the naming persists but master in the US versus not even a country but an activity--learning. A book has a story of a man who emptied himself of vain glory to be able to fully accept a divine relationship. Also in this book were men who felt a devotional obligation to follow a certain Way who leads that way might be titled Master in the translation into English, but Teacher in that language. The English did not respect--have top-shelf value for, teachers, but you had to respect the Master. One has to Master one's desires. Know your place. Master seems an English concept. Even Shifu is not Master as much as trusted instructor. We were told to call them master or when asked for a relationship value translators use Master to bond-servant. It seems on-going that the Chinese Masters are not fans of the terms Master Grandmaster but they live with it because people are not at the intellectual maturity of terminology passed a certain point and for sake of argument, be respectful however you call that and please pay and practice as much as is your comfort.-Ernie Moore Jr.

But of Japanese sourced Martial Art...I am the Daimyo-and absolute obedience is required, ...No, I am Daimyo of daimyos, I am Shogun. You bow verbally and yes call them Master one who would learn and become arrogant who is not constantly reminded their position in the caste system Hierarchy. And if unwilling to show humility...don't be learning my stuff an' disrespecting me outside of earshot but take my teaching as a thief disrespecting property.

Language sways. Popularity wanes. Whoever sets the values is up-for-grabs. Whatever gets the following wins-out The ebb and flow of Socially acceptable--a rich man says he follows all the religious laws; and some were mentioned to him that he might not follow but that he does not consider violated and the rich man says Yes, those. The rich man was answered that to get into Heaven and live eternally he would have to give-up all his possessions...The rich man went off depressed and pouty. It's about how bad you want it...Pa Kua Palm-after single palm change is Double palm change. Then is it Snake or Stork or Crane move?> It was said by a practiced man--A man who mastered enough he could teach others to begin learning, he said the name doesn't matter--the move does...Practice. Practice what matters. May you find what that is for you and your environment in Nature and in Society; and within comfort your Heart can stand.-Ernie Moore Jr.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Good question. A war of semantics and hurt feelings. The term "Master" as a noun...hmm?. As an adjective, however: "having or showing very great skill or proficiency" fits right into the martial arts demographics.

Although, I have seen Sifus, yes more than one, abusing their position as "kung fu fathers" by treating their students like slaves. Requiring strict dedication to absorb the secret kung fu. Closer to a cult where Sifu has to be treated like a high maintenance girlfriend. Meals paid for, lavish gifts bestowed, trips and lodging provided red envelopes passed constantly. All short of blanking the Sifu's blank. In the end getting the product [hopfully its real] at a snails pace in order to keep the cash flowing. Good gig. If only all this commerce the students secrete were tax-deductible!

Working for the City for 30yrs I fall under the umbrella of "Civil Servant". Basically I'm a paid slave. The public can demean me, my family, be rude treat me like mierda and I have to accept that as part of my job description. A civil servant has fewer rights than a civilian does and is held to a higher standard. When one of us gets jammed up, it becomes a "press case". The city owns you. When they tell you that you have to stay late or work your day off the answer "no" means I quit! Perhaps we should be re-named "Civil Guardians"?

And when the hell is the NAACP going to change their name! In this day and age aren't the terms "Retarded", "Oriental" and "Colored" considered derogatory? By the way, my wife is a woman of color. The negative remarks we've heard over the last 25 years about our interracial marrage coming from other individuals who are all different shades of black, would blow your mind!

Up untill recently, individuals who can not take care of themselves once called retarded and have to live in "homes where they are fed, given their meds and clothes washed for them beds made, etc. were then called "Consumers". Now their proper, upgraded name are "clients".

The world is becoming a ****geneous proxy of proper euphemisms.

This is what happens when your civil rights are removed for your own good causing incarceration and great economic loss. To me, taking away a person's civil rights putting them on lockdown by referring to them as "Non-essential". Non-essential really? Holy crap, how is my individual self less important than yours? Non-essential is the new "N" word! IMO

In the big picture of things, isn't each man and woman the "Master of their own universe"?
    Last edited by robertdreeben; 07-04-2020 at 09:46 AM.
    Buy the best and cry once!

we should be able to hold historic global bullies accountable, hold colonizers and culture vultures accountable, hold oppressors accountable, while ensuring freedom justice and equality to the bullied, robbed, appropriated, Neo-colonized and oppressed.....without it disrupting the natural cultural and universal hierarchies of the cultures and nations who have been bothered by the botherer. yea I said botherer. trying to keep this post clean as possible,

in other words, burn babylon and water the grass.

amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator