Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLF Origin of Form Names

Blog Entries

CLF Origin of Form Names

An interesting article on the name origins of the "core" forms of Choy Lay Fut.

https://www.gwongzaukungfu.com/en/ta...i-fut-history/

Blog Entries
    he took it from doc fai wong, whose history info cannot be trusted
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Aw, that's too bad. It sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post

Aren't those form names in the order they are intended to be learned? Didn't Lau Bun's nephew teach them in that order?

Here's a picture of them from Inside Kung Fu 1976 Yearbook.
    Name:  LauBunAndNephew.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  94.4 KB
    Last edited by YinOrYan; 08-28-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Does anyone know of any YouTubes out there of those "core" forms?

Blog Entries
    Lau Bun forms are not found in your "CHOY LEE FUT" but they are found in Fut San Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut. That pic is of Share Lew and Prof Lau Bun.

Lau Bun forms are not found in your "CHOY LEE FUT" but they are found in Fut San Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut. That pic is of Share Lew and Prof Lau Bun.
    Can you tell us what core forms that came down through Lau Bun? From reading your histories it looks like you are not that interested in forms, but like yourself, I am a couple generations removed from Lau Bun, so the only clear way to understand what branch of CLF is what, is to see and compare the forms. If you don't know of any form sources, could you perhaps be more specific about what "history info cannot be trusted" OR even what parts of it can be trusted?

Blog Entries
    Cheung Kuen - Sup Ji Kau Da Kuen (which is a combination of Kau Da, Sup Ji and Ping Kuen) - 5 animals - Elephant. Other sets were then invented by us for us.

Cheung Kuen is from Fut San, Ping Kuen, Kau Da, and Sup Ji (which are not the same as in Chan Family schools) is from Chan Ngau Sing in Fut San. I don't care for forms like others treat them as gold, what i care most about is how to fight with it. that is the utmost important part of any kung fu .

i don't know what lineage you are from with a connection to lau bun. to be blunt, if you are part of Shaolin DO, the buck starts here. i won't deal with anyone from SD. So which lineage are you that has a connection to my lineage?
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 09-05-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Cheung Kuen - Sup Ji Kau Da Kuen (which is a combination of Kau Da, Sup Ji and Ping Kuen) - 5 animals - Elephant. Other sets were then invented by us for us.

Cheung Kuen is from Fut San, Ping Kuen, Kau Da, and Sup Ji (which are not the same as in Chan Family schools) is from Chan Ngau Sing in Fut San. I don't care for forms like others treat them as gold, what i care most about is how to fight with it. that is the utmost important part of any kung fu .

i don't know what lineage you are from with a connection to lau bun. to be blunt, if you are part of Shaolin DO, the buck starts here. i won't deal with anyone from SD. So which lineage are you that has a connection to my lineage?
    I learned CLF from guys that learned it from Lau Bun's nephew in the 70's when he lived in Los Angeles. He still did not speak much English at the time, so no one seems to be certain what is CLF and what is Tao Tan Pai, which he learned when he was raised by Taoist monks in China after his parents were killed in a war. Presumably, he taught the same CLF his uncle did, given that the good stuff is more likely to be passed to family than by dicipleship, loyalty or even paying for it.

The only Shaolin I know is just what many people call Ark Y Wong's forms, plus some other saber form. There are moves explicitly called elephant trunk in the CLF forms I learned, but the main reason I want to know about your forms is that there's a lot of lineage info packed into the salutations at the beginning of them, so any links you can point to in that regard would be very helpful in sorting things out...

Blog Entries
    so no one seems to be certain what is CLF and what is Tao Tan Pai,
    i would be able to tell the difference between the two if i can see what Tao Tan Pai looks like.

the choy lee fut sow choy is based on the elephant trunk. If you show me your material i can tell you if you share what is ours. no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    I learned CLF from guys that learned it from Lau Bun's nephew in the 70's when he lived in Los Angeles. He still did not speak much English at the time, so no one seems to be certain what is CLF and what is Tao Tan Pai, which he learned when he was raised by Taoist monks in China after his parents were killed in a war. Presumably, he taught the same CLF his uncle did, given that the good stuff is more likely to be passed to family than by dicipleship, loyalty or even paying for it.
    Do you mean Share K. Lew?

Blog Entries
    yeah thats who he means

i would be able to tell the difference between the two if i can see what Tao Tan Pai looks like.

the choy lee fut sow choy is based on the elephant trunk. If you show me your material i can tell you if you share what is ours. no problem.
    I am the one that is not certain what whether there was any blending of CLF and Tao Tan Pai. I've been noticing that there is a lot of overlap in the those two styles, only after learning many other styles the last couple decades. It has been making wonder if Lau Bun also learned some CLF from Share Lew, and if perhaps there was some blending going on in the 1950's and 60's? Since I've not learned CLF from multiple sources like Doc Fai, it makes me question how much CLF I really know.

Likewise, I am too camera-shy to put any video out there, but I will let you know when there is something put out there, very likely this year.

Blog Entries
    I've been noticing that there is a lot of overlap in the those two styles, only after learning many other styles the last couple decades. It has been making wonder if Lau Bun also learned some CLF from Share Lew,
    sorry. no. the CLF Share Lew had came from Lau Bun. No way Lau Bun would learn from Share Lew. Never heard that, not even from one single person in my whole 40 year of being in the lau bun family.

sorry. no. the CLF Share Lew had came from Lau Bun. No way Lau Bun would learn from Share Lew. Never heard that, not even from one single person in my whole 40 year of being in the lau bun family.
    Where I notice the overlap the most is with the weapon forms. Perhaps they were misattributed to the other style by the time I learned them. Can you tell us what weapons were in Lau Bun's curriculum? It also begs the question if different weapons were ever swapped into a form, like Double Daggers with Butterfly Swords?