Thread: Avalokitesvara (2013)

Avalokitesvara (2013)

"色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

Thanks for that link Djuan

I guess this is the second forum review (although 'GREAT MOVIE' is more of an endorsement than a 'review' but I'll let that slide.

You know all those Christian films I had to watch growing up? Well, here's a Buddhist one. It was refreshing to watch for me.

Set in the Tang Dynasty (800 CE period), this is the legend behind the establishment of Mount Putuo as a major Guanyin sacred place. It's a bit preachy, with dialog that constantly pauses to retell myths. There's a nice incarnation metaphor with Little Lotus and some decidedly Buddhist special effects. This has the blessing of several PRC Buddhist leaders. There are several interwoven plots - a precious Guanyin statue by an elderly master craftsman being guarded by his grandkids, a princeling on the run, a Japanese monk hoping to acquire said statue for his queen. Where it shines is the locations - some gorgeous temples and altars as settings. It's a beautiful film in that regard. And the epilogue scene really worked for me, bringing it all to modern day Putuo. I've never been there - it's not really on my bucket list and that's just as well because I don't know if I'll return to China.

Sword fights! Very wire-fu style and kinda sanguineous given the topic
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I guess this is the second forum review (although 'GREAT MOVIE' is more of an endorsement than a 'review' but I'll let that slide.

You know all those Christian films I had to watch growing up? Well, here's a Buddhist one. It was refreshing to watch for me.

Set in the Tang Dynasty (800 CE period), this is the legend behind the establishment of Mount Putuo as a major Guanyin sacred place. It's a bit preachy, with dialog that constantly pauses to retell myths. There's a nice incarnation metaphor with Little Lotus and some decidedly Buddhist special effects. This has the blessing of several PRC Buddhist leaders. There are several interwoven plots - a precious Guanyin statue by an elderly master craftsman being guarded by his grandkids, a princeling on the run, a Japanese monk hoping to acquire said statue for his queen. Where it shines is the locations - some gorgeous temples and altars as settings. It's a beautiful film in that regard. And the epilogue scene really worked for me, bringing it all to modern day Putuo. I've never been there - it's not really on my bucket list and that's just as well because I don't know if I'll return to China.

Sword fights! Very wire-fu style and kinda sanguineous given the topic
    Im glad you liked something about it! it seems like a tough task to make a movie about a bodhisattva and keep it entertaining to the general public, I know you could get more out of it than most. also I liked that reincarnation hint, was kinda a thread through the movie tying the story together. watching the actions of Little Lotus also gave hint to how a bodhisattva incarnates through our choices.

personally, I'll take more of these preachy Buddhist flicks over the old bias dogmatic christian movies we HAD to watch at school, or watching drunk mel gibson haul a t***** crown around trying to sell a drama of the new testament smh if we let hollywood tell it,....I prefer chollywood, bollywood and nollywood over hollywood anyhow
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator

I did enjoy it overall.

I review movies professionally so I reserve the right to be picky. Plus here on the forum I'm far less formal about my reviews.

I agree with you about foreign cinema vs. Hollywood in general. And like I said, it was really refreshing to see a film proselytize Buddhism instead of Christianity. Don't get me wrong here either - there are some excellent Christian films too. There's just not as many Buddhist films. It kind of reminded me of Monk Xuanzang in that way.

Again, thanks for sharing the link. This one might have got by me had you not posted it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart