Thread: Legend of Gatotkaca

Legend of Gatotkaca

Gatotkaca is a character from the Mahabharata.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Satria Dewa: Gatotkaca

First of eight.

Aug 28, 2020 5:00pm PT
    Indonesian Film Franchise ‘Satria Dewa’ Begins Shooting Under Strict Protocols

By Vivienne Chow

Courtesy of Satria Dewa Studio

A franchise-full of folklore-inspired superhero movies, that constitute Indonesia’s most ambitious film project to date, has finally begun production. Stringent health precautions are being applied as the coronavirus outbreak is still rampant and devastating the country.

“Satria Dewa: Gatotkaca,” is the first of eight movies branded under the Satria Dewa Superhero Universe produced by Rene Ishak and veteran Celerina Judisari through their Satria Dewa Studios. Hong Kong-based veteran Mike Leeder (“The Raid,” the “Ip Man” franchise, “Chasing the Dragon,” “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”) serves as associate producer.

Filming began on Aug. 6 after a two-month delay because of COVID-19, which has infected 163,000 people and claimed 7,064 lives in Indonesia. Lensing is expected to continue for 45 days until mid-September.

Ishak told Variety that the production had to observe strict precautions to get the cameras rolling. Cast and crew had to undergo two weeks of quarantine on location before shooting commenced, even though the majority of shooting takes place in closed-set locations and studios. Besides mask-wearing, daily body temperature checks and social distancing off-screen, swab tests are also performed on a weekly basis.

The Satria Dewa universe series draws on Indonesian folklore ideas that can be traced back more than 700 years. But the action is set in the present-day in order to create a wider appeal, and one that goes further than Indonesia.

The movie is slated for a theatrical release in Indonesia in summer 2021 followed by an international release.

The first movie “Gatotkaca” is expected to cost $4-$5 million, a large budget for an Indonesian movie. It is directed by Hanung Bramantyo (“Brownies,” “Get Married”), scripted by Rahabi Mandra (“Night Bus”), and stars Indonesian idol Rizky Nazar (“Danur 3,” “The Way I Love You”) as Yuda, a young man with superpowers.

It also involves Cecep-Arif Rahman and Yayan Ruhiyan, both known to international audiences through their roles in action franchise movies “John Wick 3” and “The Raid,” with Ruhian also having appeared in “Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens.”

The scale will continue to grow as the series develops, Ishak said. The series will be diversify into animation, e-sports, mobile games, merchandise and licensing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

LEGEND OF GATOTKACA (2023) Official Trailer | Directed by Hanung Bramantyo

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter to WIN!

Enter to win Legend of Gatotkaca on Blu-Ray Disc
    Contest ends 3/30/2023

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First film review

I watched this film because Yayan Ruhian, one of my fav martial arts actors, as the villain. He was good but there wasn't enough of him.*
    This film was a mess. It's the beginning of an ambitious 8-film franchise, a superhero epic that aspires to the MCU model called Satria Deva. It's based on the Mahabharata, the Indian classic tale and one of the greatest epics of the world.*Nevertheless, I found that confusing because the references to Mahabharata were obtuse. The hero, Yuha, Gatotkaca, wasn't engaging enough. He's a descendant of the Pandavas (and the villains are the Kauravas) and he's kind of a loser until he discovers he's 'the chosen one' and transforms into a superhero with a magic astra amulet. The story was laborious and didn't make a whole lot of sense.*
    Where it truly lost me was the fight choreo. Yayan was good in his fight scenes but those were few and short. The rest of the choreo was choppy and dark, very unimpressive. Such a disappointment.
    In all fairness, I viewed this over 5 watching because I kept dosing off. That was in part because I was bored and part because I had a busy weekend. Maybe if I watched it straight through, I would have followed it better. However, crappy fight choreo when Yayan is in the cast is unforgivable.*
    I hope the next installment is better.*
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips