Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com Online Championship

Cap closed

The 2020 Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com ONLINE Championship KID Division has reached its competitor cap and is no longer accepting applications. Thank you everyone for participating and best of luck to our competitors! Tune into our YouTube channel starting this Friday evening to watch the competition!

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Tonight

Watch the Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com KIDS Division on our YouTube channel

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Watch the Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com KIDS Division
    Very good, even without the music! These were my favorites:

Steve Zhang - I think this Shaolin Padao form was the best of them all.
    Sophiena Cai Mendoza - Looked like a good traditional form more than Modern Wushu to me.
    Ethan K Lam - I don't know the 3 Section Staff but it looked well done.

Glad you enjoyed that YinOrYan - thanks for watching

We had a lot of spillover of Modern Wushu to the Traditional Kung Fu & Songshan Shaolin divisions. Typical. We'll still award winners because we want this to be positively reinforcing but in our regular in-person tournament, we'd be more strict.

Hopefully more Traditional Kung Fu & Songshan Shaolin competitors will step up in the successive, more adult, rounds.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TEENS Submission Deadline

The submission deadline for the TEENS division is early because of the holidays. The KIDS division reached its cap before deadline so ENTER HERE NOW

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TEEN deadline tomorrow!

TOMORROW is the TEENS division Submission Deadline for the Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championships! ENTER HERE NOW

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Updates

The KIDS Champions are declared!

The TEENS (14-17) Premiere this Friday (NOV 27) on our YouTube channel!

The YOUNG ADULTS (18-24) division Submission Deadline for the Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championships is NEXT WEDNESDAY (DEC 2)! ENTER HERE NOW
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Black Friday Update

The TEENS (14-17) Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship Premieres Friday (NOV 27) at 6PM PST on our YouTube channel!

The YOUNG ADULTS (18-24) division Submission Deadline for the Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship is NEXT WEDNESDAY (DEC 2)! ENTER HERE NOW

And remember - the Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship is a benefit for KungFuMagazine.com which includes this forum - it's sponsored by MartialArtSmart so spend some of your Black Friday there and support our ongoing efforts here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The TEENS (14-17) Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship Premieres Friday (NOV 27) at 6PM PST
    This online thing has been a blessing-in-disguise, since I haven't been to a tournament in decades. I feel like I've been living a cave! I'm wondering at what point did Shaolin styles start having so much acrobatics and whippy weapons? When I was a teenager we had to train using heavy oak swords and breathe out of our nose, but then, I still admire the agility of these kids today, so this time I'm not going to front-run any of the judges with my favorites because it would just reveal my age and how far out touch I am with what's considered traditional kung fu these days.

Thanks again for watching YinOrYang!

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    I'm wondering at what point did Shaolin styles start having so much acrobatics and whippy weapons? When I was a teenager we had to train using heavy oak swords and breathe out of our nose, but then, I still admire the agility of these kids today, so this time I'm not going to front-run any of the judges with my favorites because it would just reveal my age and how far out touch I am with what's considered traditional kung fu these days.
    Ha! Don't get me started on this...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

YOUNG ADULTS Deadline This Wednesday!

The YOUNG ADULTS (18-24) division Submission Deadline for the Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship is THIS WEDNESDAY (DEC 2)! ENTER HERE NOW

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    This online thing has been a blessing-in-disguise, since I haven't been to a tournament in decades. I feel like I've been living a cave! I'm wondering at what point did Shaolin styles start having so much acrobatics and whippy weapons? When I was a teenager we had to train using heavy oak swords and breathe out of our nose, but then, I still admire the agility of these kids today, so this time I'm not going to front-run any of the judges with my favorites because it would just reveal my age and how far out touch I am with what's considered traditional kung fu these days.

TBH, I’m always much more impressed by a good, solid traditional form, performed to near-perfection by a seasoned practitioner, than all the flashy acrobatic forms in the world. I’m pretty sure that in most cases, the acrobatics and lightweight weapons were incorporated into traditional sets due to the influence of wushu (and/or XMA).

The thing about traditional forms is that they adapt, grow and change with the practitioner. The young people who are doing the modernized XMA, wushu and “nandu” will decline sharply beyond a certain (still-young) age, in the same way that gymnasts decline.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-30-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Bring us your traditional

As of this posting, there is only one competitor in the YOUNG ADULTS (18-24) of the Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com ONLINE Championship. Enter now and your chances of winning a trophy are great! ENTRANCE DEADLINE IS WEDNESDAY.
    ENTER HERE NOW

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    TBH, I’m always much more impressed by a good, solid traditional form, performed to near-perfection by a seasoned practitioner, than all the flashy acrobatic forms in the world. I’m pretty sure that in most cases, the acrobatics and lightweight weapons were incorporated into traditional sets due to the influence of wushu (and/or XMA).

The thing about traditional forms is that they adapt, grow and change with the practitioner. The young people who are doing the modernized XMA, wushu and “nandu” will decline sharply beyond a certain (still-young) age, in the same way that gymnasts decline.
    As you know, I'm a huge proponent of real weight weapons, however I couldn't figure out a way to control for that in an online tournament. I'm open to suggestions.

All this being said, the two judges for our Traditional Kung Fu division would love to see something traditional. This time, it falls on the traditionalists for not entering. Even with our Songshan Shaolin, we have had more Modern Wushu entries than classical.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

As of this posting, there is only one competitor in the YOUNG ADULTS (18-24) of the Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com ONLINE Championship.
    As you know, I'm a huge proponent of real weight weapons, however I couldn't figure out a way to control for that in an online tournament. I'm open to suggestions.
    Oh no, I hope we're not scaring-off those young whipper-snappers! Any form is better than how my young relatives workout, that is, just with their thumbs...

Champions!

The TEEN Champions are declared!

The YOUNG ADULTS (18-24) Premiere this Friday (DEC 4) on our YouTube channel!

The YOUNG ADULTS (18-24) division Submission Deadline for the Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championships is TOMORROW (DEC 2)! ENTER HERE NOW
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips