Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Tiger Claw Elite KungFuMagazine.com Online Championship

Adults tonight. Final deadline this Wednesday.

The ELDERS (31+) Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship Submission Deadline is Next Wednesday (DEC 16). ENTER HERE NOW

The ADULTS (25-30) Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship Premiere this Friday (DEC 11) on our YouTube channel!

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There aren't that many big Wushu orgs. Do you mean a wushu-oriented tournament? The official IWuF tournaments are a sanctioned affair. Most tournaments, like ours, are actually privately organized. Although we all run Wushu rings, we have our own distinct rule systems. Perhaps that's what you were thinking? Did you actually see this in print in our mag? Or did you see the coverage in our mag and look up the rules?
    Yeah, its IWUF rules for their IWUF INTERNATIONAL WUSHU JUDGES TRAINING & CERTIFICATION COURSE - 2018. Where it states the age requirements is here:

D.2. All new participants must have been born on or after January 1 st , 1968.

D.3. All existing judges must be 65 years of age (including 65 years of age) or under.

In other words, they give 15 years to clear out the proverbial dead wood. Quite the difference from back in the day when judges would get certified by some old hermit like the Master of the Flying Guillotine that would bust up the tournaments and turn them into an all-out brawl. What I find strange is that CalWushu goes along with what could be construed as age-discrimination in a place that has a huge oversupply of lawyers. Here's a link to the text:

http://www.iwuf.org/wp-content/uploa...mation-USA.pdf

Final deadline

The ELDERS (31+) Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship Submission Deadline is This Wednesday (DEC 16). ENTER HERE NOW

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

2018...wonder if it's still going now.

2020 was a bust tournament-wise. I doubt they updated.

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    Yeah, its IWUF rules for their IWUF INTERNATIONAL WUSHU JUDGES TRAINING & CERTIFICATION COURSE - 2018.
    That's interesting, YinOrYan. Thanks for following up on it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Champions!

The ADULTS (25-30) Champions are declared!

The ELDERS (30+) division Submission Deadline for the Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championships is TOMORROW (DEC 16)! ENTER HERE NOW

The ELDERS Premiere this Friday (DEC 18) our YouTube channel!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The ELDERS (31+) Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship Submission Deadline is This Wednesday (DEC 16). ENTER HERE NOW

You may not get many entries with that malformed link where it says ENTER HERE NOW. Not that I was going to enter, but perhaps next year there will be category called Ultra Traditional, where every move in the form has to have an application, start and stop in the same spot, and one has to keep their mouth shut, literally AND metaphorically...

It's all closed now - final rounds this weekend.

YinOrYan - I appreciate your input but tournaments today are what they are. For them to exist, they need competitors or they won't be financially viable. I often hear traditionalists complain about wushu, and as a traditionalist myself who was defeated in competition by wushu players many times, I do sympathize. But the truth is wushu is designed for competition while traditional is not. More wushu players compete because that's what they are trained to do. And they understand competition. As a former NCAA athlete, I respect that. While it's nice to fantasize about an event specifically tailored to your practice, that's not how competition goes. You'd have to design your own event, and please, be my guest.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

P

The traditional styles I’ve practiced...Changquan, Northern Tanglang (Mantis) and Choy Lay Fut...have all contained at least some forms that don’t start and stop in the same spot. All traditional styles are not the same; even different branches of the same styles differ in varying degrees. Yet I understand how to apply my kung fu (at least my CLF, and the Mantis I studied). There isn’t one criteria for what a “traditional” style is, so there is no way for one catch-all description of how they should look or be.

I haven’t participated in tournaments for nearly 20 years now, but I just thought I would point that out.

BTW, I have no idea how or why I got that “P” at the top of my post...
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-17-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The traditional styles I’ve practiced...Changquan, Northern Tanglang (Mantis) and Choy Lay Fut...have all contained at least some forms that don’t start and stop in the same spot. All traditional styles are not the same; even different branches of the same styles differ in varying degrees. Yet I understand how to apply my kung fu (at least my CLF, and the Mantis I studied). There isn’t one criteria for what a “traditional” style is, so there is no way for one catch-all description of how they should look or be.

I haven’t participated in tournaments for nearly 20 years now, but I just thought I would point that out.
    That's good to know, because I haven't been to a tournament in over 30 years. Every Tai Chi, Chi Kung, and Kung Fu form I know starts and stops in the same place. Perhaps I've just been attracted to forms that do that, and all the Kung Fu forms I know have at least one application for every move. The good ones seem to have more than one...

Final round tonight!

The ELDERS (30+) Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship Premiere Friday (DEC 18) on our YouTube channel!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The ELDERS (30+) Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship Premiere
    My favorite was the Kun Wu Sword done by Viet H Le. I wonder what's the history of that form. I liked the energy Patsy Lung put into that Song Shan form. Would love to see her do an animal form, perhaps tiger. Also, the tai chi forms of Jamio Along and Lili Yang were impressive...

Final results

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Tiger Claw Elite ONLINE Championship ELDERS Champions are declared!
    At least this time I was closer in sync with the judges, although those chosen say more about the judge's experience or lack thereof...

Thanks YinorYan! Viet Le here.

Kun Wu Jian was transmitted to our Grandmaster, Liu Yun Qiao, by his kung fu brother and, Zhang Xiang Wu. I practice mainly Baji and Pigua from the Wutan system transmitted through Taiwan.

If you're ever in the Chicago area, feel free to PM me. Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by taichi4eva View Post
    If you're ever in the Chicago area, feel free to PM me. Take care!
    Likewise, if you are in the Los Angeles area. Until you mentioned it, I didn't even notice there was a Private Message function to this forum. Just tested it with this same message but it give me this error: "taichi4eva has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."