Thread: Wing chun books

Question Wing chun books

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some good wing chun books. Can anyone recommend or comment on the one you may own?

I curently own a wing chun book by Yimm Lee which isn't bad but I'm sure there are better ones out there.

I know there a lot of books on wing chun on amazon.com but I don't want to buy a book without looking inside.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

I'm Suprised No-one Has Answered Yet?????

CerberusXXL Wrote>
    I am looking for some good wing chun books
    One I will suggest if your interested in getting a general idea of who's who, buy Complete Wing Chun, for the price you can't go wrong plus it's a very good read

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Sheldon
    Last edited by Geezer; 01-16-2003 at 02:32 PM.

Re: Wing chun books

Originally posted by CerberusXXL
    Hey everyone,

I am looking for some good wing chun books. Can anyone recommend or comment on the one you may own?
    There are no good Wing Chun books if you're trying to learn Wing Chun through them. It would be easier to list the worthless ones. However, there are insights to be gained from some.

A must have for a Wing Chun library is The Combat Philosophy of Wong Shun Leung, compiled and edited by David Peterson. A loving tribute to a great Wing Chun fighter.

Other books I'd recommend are not Wing Chun books:

There are No Secrets by Wolfe Lowenthal, student of the late Taijiquan master Cheng Man-Chi'ing. Many of the insights are applicable to Wing Chun or other MA training and to life in general.

Championship Fighting, Jack Dempsey. A primer for boxing in the days when it was "real."

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

The Secrets of Wing Chun series by T. Chao is pretty good. Books should only be a suppliment though to having an acutal teacher.

I'm glad to see some replies.
    By the way, I do train in wing chun. I have trained for 5 months but I had money problem so I had to take roughly a whole year off. I am now getting back into it but I can only afford to go once a week.
    As far as the wing chun books are concern, I just like to have good martial books to read and serve me as reference when I practice on my own.

Originally posted by CerberusXXL
    I'm glad to see some replies.
    By the way, I do train in wing chun. I have trained for 5 months but I had money problem so I had to take roughly a whole year off. I am now getting back into it but I can only afford to go once a week.
    As far as the wing chun books are concern, I just like to have good martial books to read and serve me as reference when I practice on my own.
    Hi CerberusXXL, (We may be distantly related monsters.)

Given your circumstance, use the books to learn what to look for in your instructor and school when the time comes that you can afford it.

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Mute Jong's referral to Chao and Weaklands books(3?) is a good one. Chao was a private student of Ip man.
    I am NOT a student of Chao- so in no way am i selling.
    But- you still cant learn much froma book unless you take good classes.

A WCK book by Leung Kong-Moon

You can only get it in Foshan, China.

Yes,

Complete Wing Chun
    WSL/ David Peterson book
    and the Dempsey book are all good.

Also depending on your lineage, try to find articles by your close WC family.

While some sifu/articles advocate different methods then I use, they are insightful and well written.

To bad you do not have the secret scrolls of Ng Mui. They reveal the real OG Wing Chun and make you unbeatable.

Just kidding. Go with what others have said.

David

ttt 4 2019!

Man, remember when the WC forum was such the rage here? Now it's a struggle for me to find newsworthy articles to post here from my newsfeeds.

Nevertheless, this looks amusing.

SMES
    "Business is not a war, so stop treating it like one"
    Leon co-founder John Vincent on how an ancient Chinese martial art transformed its corporate culture.
    by Stephen Jones
    Published: 08 Oct 2019 Last Updated: 09 Oct 2019

Leon’s director of wellbeing has just punched me in the chest. "Did you feel that?," Julian Hitch asks without a hint of remorse. "It’s so much more powerful when the arm is straight."

He’s not wrong, I mutter to myself.

We’re standing in what will be the wellbeing studio of the healthy fast food chain’s brand new Borough office, learning Wing Tsun (pronounced wing chun), a defensive martial art.

Just how a martial arts expert came to be involved with Leon is itself an interesting story. Leon co-founder John Vincent bid for Hitch in a charity fundraising event in 2015, winning the opportunity for him to host a session at the company’s upcoming wellbeing retreat.

At the time, Vincent says he was looking for a new approach, and Wing Tsun’s wisdom, focused on winning not fighting, knowing yourself and achieving longevity, opened the door to a new way of doing business. Hitch was invited to come aboard and has been heading up Leon’s wellbeing initiatives for the last four years.

All of the company’s baristas, new starters, leadership team and support staff are now offered the chance to learn Wing Tsun (WT), and Vincent says the martial art’s principles have become central to the company’s internal strategy.

It’s easy to be sceptical about the idea of building a business around principles that date back to the fourteenth century Ming dynasty, but Vincent and Hitch are convinced of its uses as a tool for business and lifestyle success - so convinced in fact that they’ve spent the last four years co-authoring a book about it.

Leon’s growth from under 20 to over 70 stores amid turbulent market conditions, they say, is physical proof of the philosophy’s impact.

WHY WING TSUN? HOW CAN IT BE USED FOR BUSINESS?
    Hitch: "The barista example is really interesting. It can be a challenging position, it’s quite full on. If you get someone’s coffee wrong it can literally make or break their morning so there’s a lot of pressure - and when you’re making 200 in a morning, there's a lot of potential for mistakes.

"We started looking at how we could apply the principles of WT practically to the coffee machine - so that’s things like natural ergonomics and the shortest line. We then focused on the concept of mastery, which is how do you make something that’s repetitive something that’s actually enjoyable and becomes a professional development for you.

"The timings for our coffee test - which is make six coffees in five minutes - were on average 90 seconds quicker and heart rate went down from around 100 to 60 BPM."

Vincent: "One of the fundamental parts of transforming the culture has been getting everyone to know themselves - to understand what drives them emotionally and how to work more effectively with each other.

"The fundamental difference between Leon and other restaurants is that the managers are living free from fear. And they’re able to replicate that atmosphere in their restaurants.

"They're not blocking people or policies with their own emotions and therefore the organisation becomes more fluid and change becomes much easier because people are more willing to accept new ways of doing things."

YOU SAY THAT BUSINESS ISN’T ABOUT FIGHTING? WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT?
    Vincent: "Business is often framed as a battle or a war. We talk about targeting the customer, having a war room or annihilating the competition.

"The impact of that is you're always forcing, you're always over-exerting, you're creating aggressive business plans,and you're fundamentally associating success with fighting. That makes you less creative - in combat you go into tunnel vision."

SURELY IT’S NOT ALWAYS THAT LITERAL - ISN’T A FUNDAMENTAL PART OF BUSINESS COMPETITION?
    Vincent: "What did World War Two do for Britain? It destroyed the Empire and made us one of the poorest, stupidest countries in the world. War doesn't help, so why would businesses adopt it as a metaphor?

"In WT the first step is to know yourself and become conscious of who you are both as a person and as a business. Many people have never even asked themselves that. The first thing you recognise is that the conflict that you have perceived is created by you and your fears. So in a personal situation, understanding when you have reacted negatively and being able to understand that is really important.

"Before [I met Julian] I probably focused too much on beating the competition, and now I literally don't give a **** about competition. We’re not saying don’t have some sort of peripheral vision for what the competition is doing. We’re saying don’t make destroying them your objective. Make looking after the customer, and most importantly the people in your company, the objective.

"If you’re seeking to destroy something else you’re not doing that."

Vincent (left) bid for Hitch (right) in a charity raffle

IT ALL SOUNDS A BIT ALTRUISTIC. DOES IT REALLY WORK?
    Vincent: "It’s based on a thousand years of understanding human nature and it’s completely validated by all the major psychologists of the 20th century. Businesses that adopt it are successful. Leon is the best performing company in the sector, and all the others that are focused on "fighting" are not performing as well. I would ask anyone who is sceptical about it how "fighting" is working for them? Is it helping you sleep, is it helping your people be more fulfilled? No."

SO WHERE SHOULD A BOSS START?
    Vincent: "It’s a process where you get to understand ego and what causes conflict in the workplace or in your life in general. So everybody’s first step should be to have a really clear map of your own personality and then to watch out for when a situation, or their reaction to a situation, could be caused by their own ego or insecurities."

Hitch: "Understand that the more you force others, the more it takes of your own energy. So that ability to know yourself and then become more relaxed through that can have a profound change on you and your business."

Vincent and Hitch’s book, Winning Not Fighting: Why you need to rethink success and how you can achieve it with the ancient art of Wing Tsun, published by Penguin Business, is out in November.
    THREADS
    Wing chun books
    Coffee?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on Winning Not Fighting

Nov 17, 2019, 09:10am
    Want To Succeed In 2020? Change Your Mindset To Win Not Fight

Paul Armstrong
    Enterprise & Cloud

12th Zhengzhou (China) International Shaolin Kongfu Festival GROUP VIA GETTY IMAGES

When you think of Kung-Fu, coffee and fast food might not be next to the image of Bruce Lee, but that's what Si-Fu (Master) Julian Sitch and Leon's CEO, John Vincent, utilised to quadruple their company.

In the new book, 'Winning Not Fighting', the pair discuss the futility of the business mindset around war and fighting and instead focus on changing the language of business. The connections to innovation are striking too. The book goes through eight pillars; knowing yourself, staying focused, not forcing things, being positive, keeping things simple, feeling free and responsible, expecting to be punched and mastery.

Vincent attributes Leon's growth down to adopting Wing Tsun principles. From barista's the boardroom, the difference is 'striking'. Leon was in severe financial trouble and had culture problems when Vincent took the reigns of Leon in 2014. Fast forward to today, and the company has grown 45% to 71 restaurants and reduced the time it takes to make coffee by double digits all while increasing staff wellness and mental health. The difference? Wing Tsun.

"Wing Tsun is fundamentally the study of humanity. And, as such, it provides the antidote to the pervading themes of fear, stress and burnout that we face in the developed world. The book shows how these ancient wisdoms can powerfully transform both your life and business. In particular, how to create a life which is in flow, and where success and contentment can exist together." according to Hitch.

Hitch's best advice for busy execs and those in the innovation business is to really focus your time, not shave off minutes and change the default meeting time setting on your calendar but really be present and plan deeply. Julian believes we misunderstand exactly how busy we actually are in the moment. "By taking a moment to stop, breathe and move. While it seems to be adding more time, by changing your state, breaking the mental pattern and refreshing, you move forward and gain more on the other end. Decisions should feel effortless. The whole output of Wing Tsun is to get into a flow state without having to force anything."

‘Plan of attack’, ‘divide and conquer’, smashing of targets, choosing battles are not the only well known military terms used throughout businesses. Facebook's recent push to limit disinformation and election meddling centred around the 'war room'. The war room is a dangerous analogy for any business; the idea of fighting is close to the heart of significant problems and issues companies face. Healthy? Unlikely. Unnecessary? 100%. Startups are equally as guilty because of the growth-by-any-means mentality that VC culture can drive. Silicon Valley and startups would do well to adopt a less aggressive stance believes Hitch.

From mindset to product development, those creating the future of what we use have a huge part to play in reshaping this issue the business world is facing. Not seeing the customer or 'other' as a foe but a person to help. A ridding of the 'conquering' mentality and instead, winning together. Transferring value from one party to another with parity all the way through isn’t a pipe dream, it starts with simple actions. Make 2020 the year you banish the military jargon from your business and start winning instead.

Paul Armstrong
    Paul runs a technology advisory business called HERE/FORTH. Follow him on Twitter @paul__armstrong. His first book, 'Disruptive Technologies', is available now.
    Maybe this needs its own indie thread someday? Actually I'm just tryin to give the ol WC subforum some luv...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Millions of people passionately not only practice but seriously study the art of Wing Chun. Practitioners spend a lot of time in learning all aspects of the art, not only technical but historical, cultural, social, even religious, etc. While all these points are equally important for full understanding the art, seems that the point with the most interest is historical one. Wing Chun history was and still is a matter of myths and legends more than anything else. Influence, prestige, social status in the local and global Wing Chun community , honor, tradition, all these things are closely connected to art’s history which holds a special place in overall Wing Chun culture. It is no surprise, due to all these reasons, there are so many different version of the art’s history. While this is not the only book on the subject of history and development of Wing Chun it is unique in a way that it is made by following scientific method of historical science to the highest possible degree. This book separates myths and legends from facts and gives a clear and impartial view on historical development of different Wing Chun linages form the time of Taiping rebellion to this day.

https://www.amazon.com/Wing-Complete...ladimir+Zlatic

Quote Originally Posted by CerberusXXL View Post
    Hey everyone,

I curently own a wing chun book by Yimm Lee which isn't bad but I'm sure there are better ones out there.

I know there a lot of books on wing chun on amazon.com but I don't want to buy a book without looking inside.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

I have the complete Randy Williams books from the 80's which are no longer available.. those books cover Wing Chun ever aspect of the system as close as you can get.. The best book on Wing Chun I have ever come across ,,
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..