Mike Tyson, 54, vows to fight again after bout against Roy Jones Jr., 51, ruled a draw
Nov 28, 2020
Eric Woodyard
ESPN

Mike Tyson shared a hug with Roy Jones Jr. once the final bell sounded.

Making his much-anticipated boxing return, the former heavyweight champion's exhibition fight against fellow legend Jones on Saturday night was unofficially ruled a draw.

After the eight-round bout at Staples Center in Los Angeles, Tyson, who last fought in 2005, said he would "absolutely" do another exhibition.

"I could've done everything better," Tyson said. "Everything I was doing I could've done it better, so God willing, I'll be better the next exhibition."

Both fighters showed flashes of their former glory, but ultimately Tyson overwhelmed Jones with his heavy hitting, breaking down Jones after the fourth round. Tyson outlanded Jones 67-37, according to CompuBox.

Tyson also had a 57-28 advantage in power punches, including 35 to the body.

Jones admitted afterward that the body shots "took a toll" on him.

"I like him, but the dude is so strong, man," Jones said afterward. "I understand why they say some things are 'bucket list' because when he hits you, if it's his head, his punches, his body shots, it don't matter. Everything hurts. So, for me, I thought I did enough boxing on the outside to edge it out, but I'm cool with the draw. It means we just might have to do it again, but I don't know."

Mike Tyson, right, outlanded Roy Jones Jr. 67-37 in Saturday's exhibition bout that featured eight 2-minute rounds. Joe Scarnici/Getty Images for Triller
Tyson, 54, became the youngest heavyweight champion at age 20 in 1986. Jones, 51, is a former four-division champion.

Saturday's fight was unofficially scored by former boxing champions Christy Martin, Vinny Pazienza and Chad Dawson. Rounds lasted 2 minutes each, and each fighter wore 12-ounce gloves and no headgear. The WBC also created a "Frontline Battle belt," which was awarded to both fighters.

"I thought it was dope. I'm a little upset that they made it a draw, but they gave it their all," said YouTuber Jake Paul, who scored a brutal second-round knockout over former NBA guard Nate Robinson on the undercard. "And they both looked good. Mike came out swinging. Mike won. Let's give Mike the W."

The event wasn't set up in traditional boxing fashion.

Rapper Snoop Dogg not only performed during the event, he also served as a commentator on both the Paul-Robinson undercard bout and the Tyson-Jones main event. There were additional musical performances by rappers French Montana, YG and Wiz Khalifa, and Grammy Award-winning artist Ne-Yo sang the national anthem.

For Jones, it was his first fight since 2018, and he honored the late Kobe Bryant with images of the Los Angeles Lakers legend on his gloves, which also included the Nos. 24 and 8.

"I had to give a tribute to Kobe because he was my latest greatest," Jones said. "Michael Jordan will always be my No. 1 favorite, but Kobe and [Allen] Iverson are right there next at second and third."

Although both fighters appeared healthy after the match, Tyson said he wouldn't participate in any fights outside of an exhibition. He has pledged to give his purse to charity.

"This is better than fighting for championships,'' Tyson said of the fight. "We're humanitarians now. We can do something good for the world. We've got to do this again."

He said he wanted to get back in the ring again but also admitted being fearful of injury after being away from boxing for so long.

"I'm afraid I might get hurt. Why nobody care about my ass?" Tyson said to Jim Gray in a postfight interview. "I haven't fought in 15 years. [Jones] stopped fighting two years ago, and everybody's worried about his ass.

Tyson then joked: "I'm not a giant. I'm a beginner."
Did anyone watch?