Thread: The Witch: Subversion

The Witch: Subversion

The Witch: Subversion.

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but this is the best action/suspense movie I’ve seen in years. IMO, this movie is far superior to The Villainess, as well as the John Wick series, or any other Hollywood/superhero/action films. Luckily, I never watched the trailers or any clips before I saw it, so I approached this movie with a fresh mind. Kim Da-Mi’s acting is phenomenal as the protagonist, a teenage girl who had escaped at age 8 from a secret facility that experiments on and enhances the physical and mental abilities of children.

Last edited by Jimbo; 12-21-2020 at 12:39 PM.

that does look really good, I'll have to watch it.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

I liked it ~ I didn't have subtitles at first but I googled it and found them

Another endorsement

Finally watched this. Been hearing buzz about it for years. It’s not a horror. It’s sanguineous ultravi, our kinda thing.

It’s a slow burn. 2 hours but 2 hours of good tension, with some hypnotic cinematography and some intense characters. The lead gal, Kim Da-mi, is amazing. Her transition from victim to antihero? villain? whatev... she becomes it’s awesome. And when that final action sequence, it’s sanguineousness Maximus. Cool choreo, speed up to great effect, like superhero fights where people get thrown thrown walls. I get what all the buzz was about.

I concur. It is done well. When the action hits, it’s like being in a different movie, a payout in full of the built up tension. It was viscerally purgative.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The Witch Part 2: The Other One

This sequel to the The Witch: Subversion is full of surprises. A continuation of the Witch world where young girls are genetically modified killing machines. But this installment moves into the extreme superpower realm, to good effect. There's plenty of sanguineousness, everything is spattered crimson. But the first major fight that reveals these superpowers is launches this deep into hyperactive superhero fights, and gory ones at that. I totally laughed when that reveal emerged like 'well okay, we're going there.' The choreo is fun, choppy and ultraviolent, in sharp contrast to some of the more idyllic or comic scenes. There's a lot fo gear changes here, and they steadily escalate. Note that a keen ear is helpful to tell when characters are speaking Korean vs Mandarin...and English. The English segments started out dumb and campy, but then that campiness reached a satisfying dollop, like the gravy in an absurd K-flick.

I'm for part three, whenever it comes. It is set up nicely by a post credit scene.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart