Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

1 hour and 45 minutes

Disney Officially Confirms Record-Breaking Runtime for The Marvels
    BY JODEE BROWN
    PUBLISHED 20 HOURS AGO

Disney announces the official runtime for The Marvels, confirming a new Marvel Cinematic Universe record for the Brie Larson-led film.

Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers and Kamala Khan, in their respective superhero suits, standing together.
    The Marvels will officially set a new record for the Marvel Cinematic Universe thanks to Disney's confirmation of the upcoming film's runtime.

Via the film's listing on AMC, it's now officially confirmed that the Captain Marvel sequel will run for 1 hour and 45 minutes, breaking The Incredible Hulk and Thor: The Dark World's joint record (1 hour and 52 minutes) as the shortest MCU movie ever made. Disney's confirmation also follows up reports from insiders about the runtime, which is 19 minutes less than Captain Marvel, which was 2 hours and 4 minutes.

The run-in ahead of The Marvels' theatrical premiere has been bumpy so far. Star Brie Larson, who will reprise her role as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel, and the upcoming sequel have been receiving critiques online, further fueling claims she is "disillusioned" with playing the character. Co-star Samuel L. Jackson, who returns as Nick Fury in The Marvels, has been defending Larson in the press, calling critics of her and the female-led film "incels" while hyping up the upcoming tentpole's action and storyline.

The Marvels has a lot to live up to compared to its predecessor after Captain Marvel became a box-office revelation following its 2019 release, earning over $1.13 billion in international ticket sales. While the sequel's project opening weekend numbers pale in comparison to the original, The Marvels is still expecting to gross between $70 million and $80 million domestically during its first three days in local theaters. Directed by Nia DaCosta, The Marvels was made on a gross budget of $275 million, as confirmed by Disney.

The Marvels sees Larson star alongside Teyonah Parris, who plays S.A.B.E.R. astronaut Monica Rambeau, and Iman Vellani, who reprises her role as Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel. The film will chronicle the trio's investigation of a wormhole linked to the Kree. However, during their investigation, the trio keep shifting powers unexpectedly, leading them to wonder why it keeps happening. Jackson teased that Larson is one of three Captain Marvels in the MCU, alluding to what fans can expect as far as how The Marvels' story plays out. The film also features Park Seo-Joon as Carol's husband, Prince Yan.

Phase Five Continues With The Marvels
    The Marvels is rated PG-13 and will be the third Phase Five movie released this year after Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. The film takes place after the events of Secret Invasion and marks the first time Captain Marvel will appear in the MCU since Avengers: Endgame.

The Marvels opens in theaters on Nov. 10.

Source: AMC
    I've been invited to the screener (in IMAX even) but it's right smack in the middle of the Abbot's visit, so I'll be very busy with that. Not sure if I can swing it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Marvels | Final Trailer | In Theaters Friday

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest exclusive movie review

MuthaFlerkin Female Forward Fun - READ THE MARVELS: Women Warriors and Wuxia Vibes by Patrick Lugo

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Greetings,

I watched Captain Marvel more than any other Marvel movie. So, I was really looking forward to seeing this movie. My feeling is that this flick got edited down in a very bad way. The edits to the action sequences suggest a rush to meet a deadline. Though, I still liked the movie, it could have been a little bit better. I strongly sense creative control issues, here.

The post credits scene was a little off as to the explanation of where the marvel character was.

UPDATE: It appears that the director, Nia DaCosta, wanted a shorter movie. I don't know if that is the truth or media lip service. Time will tell.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 11-27-2023 at 05:38 PM.

mickey

Did you watch Ms. Marvel? I felt that this was more a sequel to that than to Captain Marvel.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hi Gene,

I did not see Ms. Marvel. From afar, I saw it as an attempt to introduce younger audiences to the MCU. I did see that with Marvels, as well.

mickey

Check it out

It'll make The Marvels make a lot more sense.

Younger audiences are already into the MCU. Ms Marvel is about fandom. Iman Vellani is living the dream for all of us.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips