FKA twigs Says She’s Making a Martial Arts TV Show for FX
The show will be based on the “deep connection” between “the Black community and the Chinese martial arts community,” twigs told Michaela Coel
By Jazz Monroe

February 24, 2021

FKA twigs, February 2020 (David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images for Burberry)
FKA twigs has revealed that she is working on a martial arts TV show for FX. Interviewed by Michaela Coel for The Face, twigs said the show is based on the “deep connection” between “the Black community and the Chinese martial arts community.” Pitchfork has emailed representatives for twigs and FX for more details.

“It’s like a martial arts TV series which is very much centred around outsiders,” twigs said. “And the idea of wanting to fit in but not being able to. I’ve been putting a lot of research into the way that the Black community and the Chinese martial arts community have a really deep connection. It goes into music: the Wu-Tang Clan came together almost through martial arts.”

Of course, twigs herself ventured into the martial arts around her 2020 album MAGDALENE, performing spectacular swordplay and dance moves in her live show and videos. Elsewhere in the interview, twigs said she has a song on the way with the UK rap innovator Pa Salieu, of whom twigs and Coel express their fandom. “I feel like there’s a lot of love and joy in his music, but it still feels like he’s very truthful to his experience,” said twigs. “I think I’m really craving truth, which can be dark, but it’s not grim, it’s not heavy. He tells the truth and it’s got depth.”

Read the interview, called “Joyride: the renaissance of FKA twigs,” at The Face.
I've copied some previous forum references to her work above. She's interesting.